RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Past RCCA qualifiers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/past-rcca-qualifiers/)
-   -   2013 Westcoast Shootout (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/past-rcca-qualifiers/409236-2013-westcoast-shootout.html)

Erik D_lux 03-12-2013 07:40 PM

Re: 2013 Westcoast Shootout

An absolute blast!

I have never been to a more organized comp. It was awesome. I hope you guys wrote down everything that you did because it needs to be a standard for comps. In fact, I think you guys did such a good job that I propose you organize 2 qualifiers per year!

Everybody in attendance were cool to hang around and be with. I am always amazed at how fun the RC crawling guys are.

Sorry, short but sweet. Thanks to everybody for a great time!

Krawler Konceptz 03-12-2013 08:08 PM

Almost home.....4 more hours of driving tomorrow.

Illeagle 03-12-2013 08:14 PM

Thanks Erik. Comments like that is what makes it all worth it for us. I already have a couple of new ideas we could have done to make it better. If I would have been thinking I would have brought a big monitor with me and plugged it into my laptop so you guys could see the scores live like everyone online did. Next time for sure. Horseman's is SO huge there are tons of spots we have never touched before and would make for another great event. Other than the Super courses being over the top ridiculous (saying this as a super driver) I felt we accomplished what we wanted to but like I said I still see room for improvements.

In my thank you I really didnt emphasize how HUGE of a thank you I wanted to give to the judges. Its THOSE guys who really make the comps work. 9 times out of 10 its the same core guys I see judging at big comps and you guys know who you are. I want you to know WE know who you are and cant thank you enough. As busy as I was all day I didnt really get time to study the courses before driving them and I know the judges have the same disadvantage. So to ask them to come all that way, judge all day and lose the advantage so many others have is really asking a lot. I just wanted to make sure ALL of you who judged know how much it is appreciated and next time we will have more than just Jerky and a one brxl for you guys!

rcjunky3 03-12-2013 08:30 PM

thanks alot for such kind words Erik it really is very humbling to see all the positive comments from everybody. it just solidifies what Westcoastrccrawlers is all about and thats having fun

Erik D_lux 03-12-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illeagle (Post 4226432)
Other than the Super courses being over the top ridiculously fun

I feel the same way! :mrgreen:

paystin 03-12-2013 10:41 PM

I thought one of the best "touches" of the weekend were the scorecards. I know judging two of the days made it easy to find the drivers names and numbers as well as mark the scores for every course. I also referenced it a few times for schedules and starting times and I even helped with some of those details."thumbsup"

racer_zh 03-13-2013 07:15 AM

Thanks to all the WCRCC peoples and judges who make this event possible..... it was a Blast like erik already said..

And the most importend thing is, I had alot of Fun "thumbsup", meeting new friends and put some faces to the names up here

I`m sure the Swiss Peoples will be back in 2014 for another event...

SkaldidDog 03-13-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paystin (Post 4226716)
I thought one of the best "touches" of the weekend were the scorecards. I know judging two of the days made it easy to find the drivers names and numbers as well as mark the scores for every course. I also referenced it a few times for schedules and starting times and I even helped with some of those details."thumbsup"

Second that! Scorecards were the best I've ever seen. Props Team Debead!

J

Nabil 03-13-2013 10:13 AM

I will second what Dlux said. Easily the best comp I have ever been to. You guys did a great job keeping everything on track, adapting to the unexpected, and giving the drivers what they want. You should be proud of what you accomplished, and I look forward to seeing what's next

ZoSo 03-13-2013 10:29 AM

I agree ...well organized and just a great time
Wish I could have been there all 3 days (but we had a death in the family)
I think we need the same type of score cards for all invite comps
As a judge, the cards made meeting and remembering everyone a lot easier
they had the drivers real name, RCC name and drivers #...plus the weekends Itinerary
Great Job WCRCC

WAM 03-13-2013 10:35 AM

"thumbsup" for the unique "awarded" WCS course signs. Even if I never win the event I can lust after one of those.

rcjunky3 03-13-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoSo (Post 4227229)
I agree ...well organized and just a great time
Wish I could have been there all 3 days (but we had a death in the family)
I think we need the same type of score cards for all invite comps
As a judge, the cards made meeting and remembering everyone a lot easier
they had the drivers real name, RCC name and drivers #...plus the weekends Itinerary
Great Job WCRCC

Yes Lisa and bryce knocked it outa the park with those scorecards. I have to give full credit to my wife and daughters for pre-filling the cards. I had thought it may be easier if all the cards were already done for the drivers. So I asked them if they wouldn't mind. They were also very hands on with sorting the shirts and filling the "swag bags" accordingly. Thanks to their work it really made check in very smooth

Krawler Konceptz 03-13-2013 01:24 PM

The Score Cards are a great Momento to bring home! Very proud to be able to hang up my very first Score Card!:twisted:

Illeagle 03-13-2013 07:06 PM

You know the one question I REALLY want to have answered? I would like to hear from the 9 guys who made it to the shootout who WERE'NT leading the day in points. Our club took a big risk and discussed it numerous times in regards to doing the shootout differently than any other club has done. Typically scores will either be added to the shootout course or some type of "benefit" points will be carried over to the shootout course. Well we wanted something different and we decided to run it similar to motocross. You run your courses all day just to make it the the "A main" which in our case was the Shootout course. All scores wiped to zero and any one of the top 10 guys had a chance to win the day. Now we all know dwray killed it on the 5 courses then MANNED up and even decided to run first instead of last in the shootout course but the cards didnt fall his way. I would like to know what all you guys (but mostly the top 10 guys) thought of that format good or bad. Constructively of course. "thumbsup"

Frankenwheely 03-13-2013 07:58 PM

The only thing I saw wrong with it, is there was no points differential. So that would have cleared up a lot of things. Especially the rerunning of the course.
Side note: Not a fan a finals courses. Not because I've never been in one,:ror: but like what happened. A driver killed it all day, then looses it on the last course. I know its the nature of the beast, but just this average drivers opinion.

donzx12 03-13-2013 08:11 PM

here is how it worked out for me i played it real Conservative and just tryed to finish courses to make it in the top 10. i have only ran 5 min courses in lcq in vegas for the nats. i did not no how it would work out but it did. it was prety cool to go set your car down on course and drive not knowing how the other drivers did on the shoot out course. me being Conservative and just trying to finish that course thinking i was going to be in tenth place at the end was hard but i took the chance and here we are. they are all great drivers but i think it was just my day. thanks again it was a great comp with a great bunch of people.

Del Monte 03-13-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donzx12 (Post 4228131)
here is how it worked out for me i played it real Conservative and just tryed to finish courses to make it in the top 10. i have only ran 5 min courses in lcq in vegas for the nats. i did not no how it would work out but it did. it was prety cool to go set your car down on course and drive not knowing how the other drivers did on the shoot out course. me being Conservative and just trying to finish that course thinking i was going to be in tenth place at the end was hard but i took the chance and here we are. they are all great drivers but i think it was just my day. thanks again it was a great comp with a great bunch of people.

I thought it was pretty interesting to go into the course not having any idea of how the guys in front of me had ran. I pushed it to get a couple of bonuses and in the process hit two gates, and you played it smart and it still only came down to one reverse. :shock: Finishes like that make it exciting.

However, knowing how big of a lead Dwray had going into the shootout, it was a bummer to see him lose it. I think that is the nature of shootouts though.

donzx12 03-13-2013 10:23 PM

exciting to say the least i only had 13 sec when i got through 9 going to 10 and 6 sec left after 10 wow what a great Adrenalynn Rush.

SDS Customz 03-13-2013 11:30 PM

Shootouts are always exciting and fun if you are in them. As a competitor that is usually involved in finals I enjoy them. I'm not a huge fan of wiping the slate for a finals course as the entire point of a multiple course comp is to see whom is able to drive the best- which an average of 5-8 courses does a better job of then a single course.

As a organizer I see finals courses as a huge waste of time. Even when well organized and exacuted a finals will add almost 2 hours to a comp day. Time that could have been directed to giving every competitor 2 more courses easily. For me Utah showed that very well giving all of the competitors 7 courses which everyone got to enjoy rather than a small handful.

All that said I had a really good time playing toy trucks with everyone at the comp. Thanks to all that came out.

Curcal 03-14-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illeagle (Post 4228021)
Now we all know dwray killed it on the 5 courses then MANNED up and even decided to run first instead of last in the shootout course but the cards didnt fall his way. I would like to know what all you guys (but mostly the top 10 guys) thought of that format good or bad. Constructively of course. "thumbsup"

Because drivers and spotters were sequestered, then drivers not knowing their scores (or their competitors for that matter) for the shootout course placed no advantage or disadvantage to the running order.

JeremyH 03-14-2013 06:26 AM

Yeah, I liked being kept away from the course while others ran, but I wasn't a big fan of dropping all scores from the day. However, we all knew that's how it would be from the beginning of the day...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDS Customz (Post 4228451)
All that said I had a really good time playing toy trucks with everyone at the comp.

"thumbsup"

Jslick 03-14-2013 07:36 AM

I have really enjoyed watching the scores and pics roll in from the shootout. My club will be hosting a USRCCA Qualifier and I am also very interested if we should have a finals course and what the format should be. I look forward to everyones insight.

Thanks, John

SkaldidDog 03-14-2013 08:52 AM

No complaints at all

The comp was well run, everyone knew the format going into it, organizers followed that format to the letter aside from having to come up with an impromptu tie breaker for the final (which all drivers agreed to) and a winner was decided. Great driving Don! Only suggestion here is to decide on all possible tie-breaker formats before the comp.

The "shootout" format required there be a shootout (per Rich). I like the no-look finals course. It was like a real shootout, you take 10 paces not seeing your opponent then turn and shoot. Last man standing wins. Way to go Don!

Was it somewhat disappointing that DWray fell behind in the final out of the trophies? Yes, because he drove his ass off and came up short. I can relate to his feelings (note my last two performances at Nationals...choke...gate!). Only the winner deserved to win. If DWray wouldn't have stroked it in pool play we'd not be having a lot of these discussions.

All that said. I don't like finals courses and second SDS's comments. I prefer 7 courses and let the best, most consistent driver win. But until I decide to man up and run a comp I can't complain about how anyone else runs their comp (to paraphrase Erik). Great comp gents. Congrats Don. Welcome to my club DWray...we just need to learn how to drive finals courses"thumbsup".

Illeagle 03-14-2013 05:55 PM

Every single one of those reply's is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Its the comments and input from you guys that will determine how future comps should be ran. Just from those few reply's I got a couple of idea's on how to improve on the overall winner. If I remember correctly we were done around 2:30 and I was only waiting on scores from the judges course's around the 3pm deadline. As efficient as the day went we could have easily ran 7 or maybe even squeezed in an 8th course (providing we could find judges). From the sound of it, all we REALLY need to do is keep the shootout course sequestered from all the drivers in contention instead of wiping scores to make guys happy. Im thinking West Coast SHOWDOWN instead of shootout for next time and keep scores from the day going into the last course. For this particular event we did want to give any one of the top 10 a legitimate chance at the title and thats how it went down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curcal (Post 4228521)
Because drivers and spotters were sequestered, then drivers not knowing their scores (or their competitors for that matter) for the shootout course placed no advantage or disadvantage to the running order.

Yes that was the reason for sequestered drivers BUT......... as you and I both know sometimes an over zealous fan may be guilty of a little hint now and then once he has seen previous drivers run. I myself am terrible at watching a guy drive and not accidentally shout out "try the left side". So to me (and this is just to me) I would think there may have been the tiniest advantage to running last. And besides that, how awesome would it be to have EVERYONE at the event, including the top 10 previous drivers, stand there and watch you put on a perfect run for the title in the last run of the day? "thumbsup"

Waiting Dragon 03-14-2013 06:43 PM

I would like to reinforce what Erik Dlux said, "a well organized event"! this is very true, you guys did an amazing job at keeping things going fluently, the camaraderie, the professionalism, and good sportsmanship were all there! the snacks and waters on the course tables, for everyone to enjoy, what a nice detail!
Not to mention all the goodies and awards handed out all weekend long, makes it feel the drivers efforts are well appreciated!

I really like the idea of more courses at this events. On course 4, Hoppa, 8-454, and myself where running drivers thru for about an hour. I really think that kinda thing, gives the day a much more relaxed feel, get the bulk of the people early. It seems to have set a good pace!

I would be more than happy to judge for you guys again, if you guys need the help, contributing to help all of us have more fun is at the top of my list!"thumbsup"

rcjunky3 03-14-2013 07:50 PM

thanks for all the input guys as it is very appreciated and things to take into consideration for any possible future events. I personally was wanting to step out of the box and try a few things different and having Jim's ideas along with our clubs support and ideas really helped in some decision making. we did research, read about other events, talked to drivers who have been to other USRCCA events, I had only been to 1 USRCCA event before this so I really was after input. little things like the snacks and details always seem to make a difference.

Juan you are absolutely correct about making the drivers feel appreciated and judges as well. because no matter how much we do on our end without all you guys it wouldnt amount to a hill of beans

BENDER 03-17-2013 01:42 PM

Highlight video is up! "thumbsup"
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/video...-shootout.html

big dude 03-17-2013 02:31 PM

nice video Brad, thanks for sharing.

rcjunky3 03-17-2013 02:42 PM

very nice Brad thanks for taking the time to make the video and share with all of us

Frankenwheely 03-17-2013 06:06 PM

Sweet Vid!"thumbsup" I guess my crawling wasn't that great to make the video.:lmao:

Waiting Dragon 11-14-2013 05:04 PM

Is there going to be a 2014 WCS?

Illeagle 11-14-2013 06:57 PM

Unfotunately not this year Juan.

CRAWLER-DAD 11-15-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illeagle (Post 4548876)

this is SAD to hear ........:cry::cry:
I as well as many others im sure were looking forward to this comp

Erik D_lux 11-15-2013 08:26 AM

Yep.

IMO, best run comp of the year or maybe that I have ever been to?

Hopefully somebody, anybody does a west coast qualifier this year......

RcBro 11-15-2013 08:27 AM

Sucks to hear this, spent a weekend over in eastern oregon and drove over 900 miles looking for a suitable comp spot with no luck. We have several in Western Oregon/Washington, but I fear that if rain were to hit, the comp would be ruined. So I'm torn.

Hardline 11-15-2013 10:08 AM

Got any hard-core jeep & rock-buggy clubs near that area? Bet they'd know where the rocks are.

Maybe you can find a local on Pirate4x4.

TheAxialNut 11-15-2013 11:00 AM

i dont think anyone realizes how hard (LOTS OF EFFORT) to throw such a gathering....hands down the best comp.

RcBro 11-15-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardline (Post 4549579)
Got any hard-core jeep & rock-buggy clubs near that area? Bet they'd know where the rocks are.

Maybe you can find a local on Pirate4x4.

Yes I'm one of them. I research for about a month before I took my trip. What is needed to run a successful comp is not there.

Frankenwheely 11-15-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

That sucks. At least there's always....

Waiting Dragon 11-15-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Sad to know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik D_lux (Post 4549449)
Yep.

IMO, best run comp of the year or maybe that I have ever been to?

Hopefully somebody, anybody does a west coast qualifier this year......

I feel the same way about the event!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenwheely (Post 4550343)
That sucks. At least there's always....

Hope for next year...