Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Pennsylvania

Notices

Thread: New guy from Pittsburgh, PA.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default New guy from Pittsburgh, PA. **More crawling spots found.

Hey, I'm a new guy from Swissvale, PA (just east of Pgh.). I know nothing about RC trucks, and only saw a crawler for the first time about a week ago on youtube. I have to say, the crawlers you guys build and run, look like it would be so much fun, that I'm thinking about getting into it. I've been looking into the AX-10, but the cost of getting into crawling, and my complete lack of knowledge of anything RC, has me a little apprehensive.

I've been reading posts here for about a week now, and I'm just now starting to understand some of the basics, but my knowledge is completely academic. What I need is to see a crawler in person. I wish I could check out a local comp, but I just don't have the time to drive a couple of hours to get to a comp, so I'm looking for someone real close to Pgh. that is going out crawling that could show me their rig. If anyone is going to be crawling anywhere near Pittsburgh anytime soon, and wouldn't mind showing a noob your rig, please let me know.

Anyway, you guys have a great site here, there is no shortage of knowledgeable people. So knowledgeable in fact, it's a little intimidating to ask the really noob questions.

Hope to maybe meet some locals and see first hand what crawling is all about.

Steve

Last edited by Stburr91; 03-26-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Stburr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stburr91 View Post
Hey, I'm a new guy from Swissvale, PA (just east of Pgh.). I know nothing about RC trucks, and only saw a crawler for the first time about a week ago on youtube. I have to say, the crawlers you guys build and run, look like it would be so much fun, that I'm thinking about getting into it. I've been looking into the AX-10, but the cost of getting into crawling, and my complete lack of knowledge of anything RC, has me a little apprehensive.

I've been reading posts here for about a week now, and I'm just now starting to understand some of the basics, but my knowledge is completely academic. What I need is to see a crawler in person. I wish I could check out a local comp, but I just don't have the time to drive a couple of hours to get to a comp, so I'm looking for someone real close to Pgh. that is going out crawling that could show me their rig. If anyone is going to be crawling anywhere near Pittsburgh anytime soon, and wouldn't mind showing a noob your rig, please let me know.

Anyway, you guys have a great site here, there is no shortage of knowledgeable people. So knowledgeable in fact, it's a little intimidating to ask the really noob questions.

Hope to maybe meet some locals and see first hand what crawling is all about.

Steve
Steve...you came to the right place...I wish you would have posted this a day earlier. We had a comp schedule for tomorrow but with the weather changes...Nuff said.

We had a Gathering of all the locals at AB Charles Hobby Shop today. Check out the post..

I am the President of Western Pa Crawlers...Check out our site at www.wpac-rc.com . About a year ago 90% of us were noobies so don't be discouraged or intimidated.

Go ahead and register at our site under the same as your RCC name for ease of familiarity and the club can definitely walk you through the process.

We have a GTG scheduled for next Sunday and is posted on RCC and the Club Website.

Welcome to a great hobby,
John
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Steve...you came to the right place...I wish you would have posted this a day earlier. We had a comp schedule for tomorrow but with the weather changes...Nuff said.

We had a Gathering of all the locals at AB Charles Hobby Shop today. Check out the post..

I am the President of Western Pa Crawlers...Check out our site at www.wpac-rc.com . About a year ago 90% of us were noobies so don't be discouraged or intimidated.

Go ahead and register at our site under the same as your RCC name for ease of familiarity and the club can definitely walk you through the process.

We have a GTG scheduled for next Sunday and is posted on RCC and the Club Website.

Welcome to a great hobby,
John
The confirmation code on your site for forum registration is the pits. Tried a few times, and it didn't take any one that I entered, and they were extremly hard to read. Might get a few more folks if you back off on that a little. Just a heads up.
jaxcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxcoffee View Post
The confirmation code on your site for forum registration is the pits. Tried a few times, and it didn't take any one that I entered, and they were extremly hard to read. Might get a few more folks if you back off on that a little. Just a heads up.
I understand but we were hit with huge spammers about a month back. I will try to back it off one level. Sorry about that. This is the first feedback I have had on it. Give me 5 mins and try again.

I apologize but you know how it can be when they get hold of ya... :-(
Old 03-08-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

Quote:
I understand but we were hit with huge spammers about a month back. I will try to back it off one level. Sorry about that. This is the first feedback I have had on it. Give me 5 mins and try again.

I apologize but you know how it can be when they get hold of ya... :-(
Understood. Thanks
jaxcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxcoffee View Post
I couldn't get it to work either.

Steve
Old 03-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I backed it down by 50%...Are you sure you are keying the numbers exactly as they are pertaining to Capital letters and such???

Let me try and do it for ya.

John
Old 03-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I backed it down by 50%...Are you sure you are keying the numbers exactly as they are pertaining to Capital letters and such???

Let me try and do it for ya.

John
I'm sure I entered the code correctly. I tried to register several times, and half the time it wouldn't even display a code. I had to hit the "I agree to the terms" button several time before it would go to the next page. Something's not working right on your site.

I'll PM you my info if you want to try.

Steve
Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Default Another Pittsburgh Newb

Hey guys, I'm Jake and I live over in Whitaker (by the Waterfront). I just got a Wheely King last week with the intentions of turning it into a crawler, however, I just read tonight about the new Axial Scorpion coming out so I may wait to get that and keep the WK as a fun basher for me and my son. Just wanted to let you know that I registered over at the SWPA site too. Would like to come out and see some rigs in action sometime.

Jake
Patella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patella View Post
Hey guys, I'm Jake and I live over in Whitaker (by the Waterfront). I just got a Wheely King last week with the intentions of turning it into a crawler, however, I just read tonight about the new Axial Scorpion coming out so I may wait to get that and keep the WK as a fun basher for me and my son. Just wanted to let you know that I registered over at the SWPA site too. Would like to come out and see some rigs in action sometime.

Jake
Jake,

You're not to far from me, so it you know of any good spots to crawl, post it here.

I don't yet have my crawler built, but I hope to have one up and running in a week or so. In the mean time, I've been looking for some good spots, and I've found some in Frick park that look like they'll be great for crawling, you may want to check out Frick park yourself.

Steve
Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Jake
Make sure you guys stay in tune with the club website...there will be GTG's and Comps...Watch the schedule...

John
Old 03-13-2008, 09:43 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Steve,
I'm right across the river. I don't have a crawler yet though. The stock WK is much more a basher, but loads of fun so far.

Jake

Quote:
Jake,

You're not to far from me, so it you know of any good spots to crawl, post it here.

I don't yet have my crawler built, but I hope to have one up and running in a week or so. In the mean time, I've been looking for some good spots, and I've found some in Frick park that look like they'll be great for crawling, you may want to check out Frick park yourself.

Steve
Old 03-25-2008, 03:03 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I got some pics of my rig when I went out today. The pics are from Frick Park in the city of Pittsburgh. It's a great spot to crawl.

I had a tire come out of the beadlock both times I when out so far, I guess I'm doing something wrong, and not getting the tires on correctly?

Anyway, I had a good time crawling today, and my truck run great.

Steve
Old 03-25-2008, 03:10 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Busted...we need to take our trucks and have some rocks accidentally fall in the back of the beds...these are what I need...

Oh by the way...nice pics...
Old 03-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #15

take out your foam,, cut it down width ways, I ended up with half the foam,,, this lets your tires buckle like the real trucks.. Try 3/4 foam, then the foam wont' get stuck between the bead locks and rim..
justsayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Steve,
Is that down by 9 mil run off of Commercial Ave? Everytime I go down commercial past the Irish center I think of it as a great place to crawl and or run scale trucks.

Jake
Old 03-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
I got some pics of my rig when I went out today. The pics are from Frick Park in the city of Pittsburgh. It's a great spot to crawl.

I had a tire come out of the beadlock both times I when out so far, I guess I'm doing something wrong, and not getting the tires on correctly?

Anyway, I had a good time crawling today, and my truck run great.

Steve
Where in Frick is that? Been up there on the bike and didn't notice that or anything else in the way of a pile? Looks good for a quick testing spot, and definitely 2.2 only.

Quote:
Busted...we need to take our trucks and have some rocks accidentally fall in the back of the beds...these are what I need...

Oh by the way...nice pics...
Yeah, that would be a good idea, depending on where in the park they are Jay and I have been up there before on the bikes, some decent downhilling for being in the city. Get some funny looks crusing with a full face helmet
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Busted,
I9 mile run is clear at the bottom of Frick Park. Have you ever been down Commercial Ave? You can get there from some of the downhill runs in the park, but not like the Rollercoaster or the Worm which run you down into the bottom of the park over by Reagent square. If you run Commercial off of Forward Ave. it kind of wraps around the back of the park..

Don't know if that was a very good description or not.

Jake
Old 03-25-2008, 07:36 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Steve,
Is that down by 9 mil run off of Commercial Ave? Everytime I go down commercial past the Irish center I think of it as a great place to crawl and or run scale trucks.

Jake
I'm afraid to tell you guys where it's at, I'm afraid you guys will steal the rocks at the best spot to crawl for me. :-P

Yes, it's right beside 9 mile run. It's about 400-500 yards inside of Frick Park from the Irish Center. If you know where the parking lot is in Lower Frick park, it's only about 200 yards from the parking lot. It's near where the old football field used to be.

If anyone wants exact direction, I can give them to you. I can post a pic of a satellite photo tomorrow, with directions.

I've spent about 15 minutes moving some rocks, and I already have about 8-10 lines made over and around the pile. There are plenty of rocks, so the possibilities are endless on what I can do there.

The red line circle is the rock pile. The green circle is the Irish Center, the purple circle is the parking lot in Lower Frick Park. The white circle is the soccer field, and the blue circle is where the old football field used to be (It's not there anymore).

The best way to get there, is to go to the parking lot of Lower Frick Park. It's only about a 200 yard walk to the rock pile from there.

If anyone wants direction to Lower Frick parking lot, just let me know. It's only 2 minutes off of Braddock Ave. and less than 5 minutes from the Parkway East.

A closer veiw.

The green arrow is the trail to the Irish Center. The purple arrow is to the parking lot, and the red line is the trail to the rock pile. The blue line is 9 mile run creek. Red circles are three spots to crawl.

Steve

PS.

I found a few more spots.

There are two spots about 50' from the rock pile. There is about a 75' stretch of rocks along the creek (9 mile run) that is above the waterline that would make a great crawling course.

The other spot is about 500 yards from the Lower Frick parking lot. This spot is all cobblestone. There is a lot of stone there, so anything can be built there with a little time and effort.

I'll try to get some pics of these spots in the next couple of days.

Last edited by Stburr91; 03-26-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:31 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Some pics of the rocks beside 9 mile run creek just beside the rock pile in the pics above.

I don't have a scaler yet, but there are a lot of good spots for scalers.