Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Pennsylvania

Notices

Thread: A Noob's First G6 Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: A Noob's First G6 Adventure

Friday was the Fix Enduro, the 12 hour guys started early, but the 3 and 6 hours guys didn't start until 3. We went down around 10 and drove some more of the G6 courses we missed yesterday. I ran my TRX this time to get a feel for it and it was my G6 truck anyway.

More creek running...it was very scale, about up to the bottom of the chassis in the deepest parts. Perfect for tiny trucks.

At about 2:00 after 5 hours of running tiny trucks, I headed back up to the site, loaded up on water, swapped trucks, got my gear bag and headed back down to the Enduro... The Elemental SCX10 felt great running the course yesterday - really stable and capable. All that time I spent dialing it in paid off, very happy with it.

Everyone lined up for the start... Roughly 15-17 trucks joined up, and I think all but one were doing the 3 hour.

First choke point... Once of the kids was new and was about 1/2 way up his learning curve. No worries, we all helped him, cause that's what RC guys do.

The Enduro course ran from the start pavilion though a playground, up 2 creeks, one of which had a very hard out (I spent a lot of time on the the day before and knew the line pretty good) then up a long road to the boulder field, across the field, and back down to the pavilion via 2 long wooded stretches. These sections had the hill of death, lots of creek crossings, off camber areas, rock sections, mud sections, you name it. Again, the course was amazing - the guys laying it out did a fantastic job. I only took 1 picture in the middle of the boulder field as I stopped for a drink after clearing the creek logjam. Otherwise I was hoofing along pretty good and focused on the driving.

I have no idea how the 12 hour guys did it. I went 3 hours, and this overweight, out of shape, recently started smoking again jackwagon was almost dead. I drank 6 bottles of water, and I think sweated it all back out. I geared my truck for just above walking pace, and tried to keep up with it as much as possible, so I was just walking but at a pretty good clip. Got in the zone in the off road sections and was wheeling along pretty good there too. Normally I'm a slow scale driver, but not this day. The truck held up great, and 2 5000 mah packs, 6 bottles of water and 3 hours later, I was done. It was a lot louder when I started, the crawlmaster was dunked in so much mud and water it was getting loud, but it was still running fine. Several of the guys broke, but my modestly powered (2S) but overbuilt truck kept right on going.

After the Enduro, I walked back to camp and collapsed. The heat was serious and I was worried about dehydrating. I must have been low on fluids as I came back and drank 8 DMD's, 2 more bottles of water, 3/4 of a gallon of tea, and 5 beers and still never visted the outhouse until the next morning.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2020, 08:17 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Saturday was the TTC, G6 running, and Tekin Terracross. I wanted to run the G6, so I didn't sign up for anything else. Glad I didn't I was already whooped from yesterday and it was only 10am. The fun started at 10, so I charged up 6 batteries, loaded up the backpack and headed down around 9:30. Before we headed out for some G6 running, I took some pics of some of the TTC trucks lined up. I love this hobby, every truck I saw was unique, and there were some seriously gorgeous rigs running around.

The G6 was a much more relaxed pace, and we had a ball. We started at the bottom of the campsite and hit the trails.. met a lot of cool people and just had a great time running the gates. The TRX was well sorted, did everything I asked of it, and had no issues all day. Really performed well, and I have to say the Predator TSL's had a ton of grip. Great tires.

Going through the Bronco obstacle...they even put rocks on the inside.

After clearing the 2 lower courses, we skipped ahead a bit and went up the the blue trail. It's a hiking trail that goes up and over the mountain. It was brutal....not only was it a challenging trail, but it was 100 degrees out and no wind.... there were no gates up here since it was about 4 miles long but it was a very technical and challenging trail. We skipped some of the gated courses to run this, and I'm glad we did.

Yikes!! Never seen so much vegetation wrapped around a wheel, this was after clearing about 1/2 of it off.

Winches and towstraps? Yes.

After finishing the Blue trail, my 2 friends needed some rest and rehydration. I went back out solo and hit 2 more trails... These were the Enduro course trails, though they were a bit different this time around since they had gates. Totally changed the course, some of the stuff I avoided yesterday I now had to get through. Again, the Sport did great.

This family was camping next to us and all three were wheeling all weekend. Incredibly nice, I ran into them on the trail and we ended up running the last 2 sections together. Daughter is cheering dad up the Hill of Death here. Love to see entire families wheeling, and really into it. Kids are the future of this hobby and there were a lot of them here wheeling. Great stuff!

Last few gates, then I handed in my G6 cared at 3:25 and went back up to camp. I was done wheeling at this point....the heat was really taking a toll, and I was flat worn out. According to my phone, I did nearly 22 miles over the course of 3 days...my radio was soaked, backpack was soaked, I smelled like an Italian hoagie... I just wanted a shower and dinner.

Down to the awards... pretty cool. People at the site rent golf carts since it's so hilly to get around, it was like a drive in theater. After this pic, many more came in and filled up the area. I'm told it was a bit of low turnout compared to previous years, but given the heat and the current state of affairs, I thought there was quite a lot of people there.

Not bad for a noob!

Plus a lipo for my Soap Carving.... Never carved soap before, but apparently it came out alright. Parker is going to put it in his trophy case. I thought I took a pic of it, but apparently not. I'll see if I can find one on the G6 pages. And I got a shirt from the Treal guys, really nice group.

And that was Saturday! Sunday we packed up and headed home.

Just a few after pics... the only issue on either rig after miles of hard running was the front brass c-hub on the SCX10 is a bit loose. That's it! Well, and the SSD axle up front looks like I took a hammer to it, but it held up perfectly. The foams need to be aired out as well. This rig did its purpose and did it well. Going to tear it down, clean it, and steal the parts for another project. This Jeep is being retired with full honors!

The TRX did great, just going to clean it and put it back on the shelf. Doesn't need a thing! It was run HARD, especially up and down that Blue Trail and it's still in one piece. Truck is a tank.

All in all, it was a fantastic weekend. Great to meet so many other like minded RC people who are as passionate about this hobby as you are. Definitely going again next year, no question.

Came home and celebrated the win by ordering a Wendigo kit... Already thinking of next year!

Last edited by OSRC; 07-20-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #43

Taking first place on your first attempt at a G6 is no small feat. Congrats!

I'm bummed I missed it, but at the same time that he was brutal. Hopefully the weather is nicer next year.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #44
Go Buckeyes!

Congrats on 1st place! I'm sure it wasn't easy with all the heat this past weekend!

Great pics! Looks like it was a fun weekend! I haven't had the chance to run one of Parker's events yet, but it is on my list of must do's someday! I remember seeing pics of this event last year and it looked like it was a great event to attend. It is a little far for me to drive from Ohio, but maybe someday I'll make the trip.

The G6 style events have always been my favorite types of events. It is fun to run the trails at your own pace with other people that also enjoy this great hobby.

It may be too far for you to drive, but Beat The Creek in Kentucky is another great G6 type of event that is a funfilled, full weekend of tiny truckin' awesomeness!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:01 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Thanks! It was a blast, but the heat was serious for sure. Mad props to the 12 hour guys, that had to be brutal.

Parker is quite the character. I apparently earned the nickname "Tom Cruise" over the weekend due to my sunglasses.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Missed meeting you, but pretty sure we (wife and I) saw you more than once. We were at the last campsite on the right before you crossed the Blue Rocks. We had the double canopy set up. My wife probably cheered you on as you walked by...lol

And hey, congrats on your 1st place finish in the 3 hour

Like you, we met some great people. We also got to talk with Parker for about 15 minutes after the Saturday night crawl (which was very cool). He indeed is a character, and absolutely loves this hobby.

One thing's for sure, we'll be back next year. I'm already thinking of joining the FIXed Enduro as well...

Oh yeah, my wife is the one that got the tires that bounced off the rafters and landed on her lap...

Last edited by dungeonracer; 07-22-2020 at 06:09 PM.
dungeonracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #47
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

After clearing the 2 lower courses, we skipped ahead a bit and went up the the blue trail. It's a hiking trail that goes up and over the mountain. It was brutal....not only was it a challenging trail, but it was 100 degrees out and no wind.... there were no gates up here since it was about 4 miles long but it was a very technical and challenging trail. We skipped some of the gated courses to run this, and I'm glad we did.

After finishing the Blue trail, my 2 friends needed some rest and rehydration. I went back out solo and hit 2 more trails... These were the Enduro course trails, though they were a bit different this time around since they had gates. Totally changed the course, some of the stuff I avoided yesterday I now had to get through. Again, the Sport did great.
I spent Wednesday night in Lehigh valley hospital, so its was a good call to not go on. My left calf blew up about 1 1/2 times its normal size. Apparently when I hit my leg with the UDR on the 4th it caused some damage. All the hiking set the injury back off. You would have never carried me out of the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonracer View Post
Missed meeting you, but pretty sure we (wife and I) saw you more than once. We were at the last campsite on the right before you crossed the Blue Rocks. We had the double canopy set up. My wife probably cheered you on as you walked by...lol

And hey, congrats on your 1st place finish in the 3 hour

Like you, we met some great people. We also got to talk with Parker for about 15 minutes after the Saturday night crawl (which was very cool). He indeed is a character, and absolutely loves this hobby.

One thing's for sure, we'll be back next year. I'm already thinking of joining the FIXed Enduro as well...

Oh yeah, my wife is the one that got the tires that bounced off the rafters and landed on her lap...
We were right behind you standing in the stones. When she caught the tires, I was still sitting at the table behind both of you. She was totally shocked when the tires came down on her. If you were set up on the right just before the rocks, we parked my black F150 in front of the shower house to find the blue trail. We were looking for directions but no one was around. Maybe next year we can meet up and have a beer.
Daycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:45 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonracer View Post

I remember you guys, I passed your site about 10 times. You guys had an awesome location right by the rocks! The Enduro was great, I'll do it again for sure. Not quite ready for the longer stages just yet, the three hour is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
I spent Wednesday night in Lehigh valley hospital, so its was a good call to not go on. My left calf blew up about 1 1/2 times its normal size. Apparently when I hit my leg with the UDR on the 4th it caused some damage. All the hiking set the injury back off. You would have never carried me out of the woods
Whoa! No, I could not have carried you, that's for sure. Sorry to hear it, I hope you are feeling better!

I was dizzy on and off all day Sunday, I was still rehydrating apparently. The things we do for our little trucks!
Old 07-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #49
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

Whoa! No, I could not have carried you, that's for sure. Sorry to hear it, I hope you are feeling better!

I was dizzy on and off all day Sunday, I was still rehydrating apparently. The things we do for our little trucks!
Your not weak, but we were whipped. I am too fat and old to be carried.

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Last edited by Daycrawler; 07-23-2020 at 04:58 PM.
Daycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

So....who's going to the G6 this year? Anyone? Knew it was on the radar, but didn't realize it was coming next week! Holy cow, I've got nothing ready at all.

Doing things a bit different this year. Taking a ton of rigs, and some projects to work on in case we get some rain this year. No Enduro for me, not this year. Truck list:

Tonka TRX
Defender TRX
Portal-less TRX Sport
Tamiya CR01 and Axial Capra (For the Pulpit Rock trail)
Tamiya Konghead
Axial Crawler Yeti
Axial SCX10 II Mog

And maybe 1-2 others, not sure. Maybe my SSD TK or VP Origin might make it. Bringing a basher for playing around the campsite as well. Maybe my new DT03 or something vintage.

We are at site 188 this year by the lake, feel free to stop by and say hello. Always glad to share adult beverages and talk tiny trucks!

A Noob's First G6 Adventure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a noob's yeti and some kydex kapitanmanok Axial Yeti 3 08-15-2016 07:31 PM
Noob's 4Runner 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 14 07-28-2011 11:11 PM
a noob's pajero pardonmyn00b Tamiya XC/CC01 57 06-22-2010 09:18 AM
Another Noob's Pajero jinspade Tamiya XC/CC01 11 08-16-2009 09:13 AM
Good info For Noob's BrockGrimes Newbie General 0 03-03-2006 07:37 AM