Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Northeast > Pennsylvania

Notices

Thread: A Noob's First G6 Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 06:58 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default A Noob's First G6 Adventure

I haven't driven in anything remotely competitive since I raced my FX10 an Hornet (which won a time or two) 20 years ago...so it's been a while.

Normally I do slow paced trail runs in the woods or mess around in the backyard but I finally got off my duff and signed up for the PIT BULL RC Super Series Mega Cup Intergalactic Nationals of the Universe “Blues Rock” RECON G6.

That's a mouthful!

I didn't just sign up - I jumped in with both feet!! Got a campsite for the weekend (56, stop on by!) and signed up for the G6 and 3 hour Enduro. Skipped the TTC for now, I wanted to see it first though it sounds like fun!

I'm hoping that people who have gone to this is the past can help with a few questions I'm sure I will have. I know RC trucks and the industry, but other than that I have no clue what I am doing.

G6 Rules:
Mandatory Scale Items:
- Tow Strap
- one scale musical instrument

Not Mandatory, but HIGHLY recommended items:
- Scale sheet music to be kept in truck.
- Scale Blue suede shoes.
- A 10yr Anniversary RECON G6 Soap Carving of your choice. It must have “RECON G6” & “10” in it.
- Favorite Family Recipe written on a note card or paper. Please turn in at G Central when you check in.
Get your blues on at the Blues Rock G6. G6 in Blues outfit/costume for a Badass Blues surprise.

Hmmm... Shoes and a soap carving.... huh. This should be interesting! Never carved soap. Where can I find 1/10 Lord of the Thighs sheet music??

I plan to document the trucks I build and take along, as well as the event once I get up there. Frankly, I'm a little intimidated - never done anything like this before. But you never know until you try! Hoping this will help others who have maybe thought of going, but haven't tried it yet.

I haven't figure out what class or anything yet. Going to stare at my trucks until I figure out what I want to do.

My first question off the bat is can you run multiple trucks in the G6? If I have 2 that meet the specs of the class I'm in, can I run one Friday and a different one Saturday for example? I'm not really clear how that works.

Off to the basement to get some wheels turning...
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2020, 07:41 AM   #2

Default Re: A Noob's First G6 Adventure

I'm still trying to figure out of it's a competition or just a fun trail run. I want to attend, but I just want to play around.

WTH is up with the sheet music, soap carvings, etc?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm still trying to figure out of it's a competition or just a fun trail run. I want to attend, but I just want to play around.

WTH is up with the sheet music, soap carvings, etc?
To me it's a fun scale run. Multiple courses of all different styles. It's fun I go every year and almost die each year (my fault not parkers) I highly recommend going it is a great big party to me of old and new friends. The highly recommended items just add bonuses to you and extra prize tickets. I just go to have fun not to compete.
SubaruDriftBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Reminds me of a joke my buddy told me in high school... Something about a manaquinn, a pocket knife, and a jar of mayonnaise...??

That's some pretty random stuff man.
I thought G6 sounded cool until now lol I will stick to proline btf thanks.

But in all seriousness I hope you have fun and post some pics maybe vids.

And let us know when you are home safe lol
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:22 AM   #5
Go Buckeyes!

It sounds like it will be a blast!

I remember seeing pics and videos of this event last year. It looked like a great weekend of fun. If it wasn't a 7 hour drive for me I would love to attend.

I have attended a few G6 style events in the past. The most recent was Beat The Creek in Kentucky last year and plan to attend this year in May. The G6 styles that I have attended are pretty much a fun trail run to drive at your own pace. The trails are usually fairly long with all kinds of obstacles to climb over and drive thru. They sometimes have gates/flags to drive thru every so often to complete a certain stage. Depending on how they are scoring, you usually keep track of your own score.

These events are a ton of fun and are my favorite to attend as they are usually laid back and you drive at the speed you want.

Have fun and look forward to seeing some awesome pics!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:23 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks fellas, I'm way excited!

There's only a few events out here on the east coast, I'll take what I can get! Be nice if Proline came over here...at least Axial is getting closer. Wish I could drive out there, but it's just too much time away from the family. When the kids are a little older, maybe we'll do some longer road trips.

So I've got to come up with trucks for 2 events - the G6 and the Enduro. Technically, I guess I could just build and drive 1 truck but what fun is that? I went down in the shop and stared at my trucks....basically, I need an interior and winch at minimum in each. Which none of my trucks have since those are two things I usually skip.

Of all my trucks, my Yota is the closest - has an interior and driver ready to go, and a winch up front. I do have some concerns on the driveline though... those little HPI units are tough, but I don't know if they are 3 hour torture test tough. Been a while since I drove it - plan to take it out this weekend and blow the dust off.

My trusty Elemental SCX10V2.... no interior, no winch, but a bulletproof setup, I've got a ton of spares, and it holds a full size pack up front. Thinking of building this up as the enduro rig as it would have 13,000 mah available from the three packs allowed. Probably 3-4 times as much as I need for a 3 hour continuous run, but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

For the G6, thinking of building up a TRX4... Leaning towards my Bronco though the Sport would work out great (and much easier to build the interior.) Body and bumpers are easily swapped around, and the expedition rack might come in handy. Bronco chassis has plenty of room for a winch mount too.

Also looked at my way modded CMX (maybe) Trail King and a few others...but these are the three I'm leaning towards.

On a side note, I'm not just building tiny trucks, I'm getting my camping gear updated as well. After 20+ years of tent camping and getting all but drowned last year in a downpour, I think I'm finally ready for the next step - going to look at a very nice pop-up tomorrow. The wife is ready, so I got a green light to upgrade this year. Hopefully the OSRC pits measure up!
Old 03-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

T-minus 4 months and G6 prep has begun...went shopping over the weekend and found this... perfect for a weekend of camping and tiny trucking. 2003, but in incredible shape and got it for a song. Long story, but the dealer basically screwed up and committed to a price that was way too low. Heck, I'll take it!

And no, I didn't just buy the camper for the G6 weekend. The wife would have my nuts if I did that.... We've been debating on one for the family for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger. We've been tent camping for 20 years, but now that I'm in my 40's and with 2 little ones, I'm looking for something a little nicer.

So that's settled... now, back to the tiny trucks. I ran 2 rigs this weekend as a test and as much as I liked driving my ... SCXVaterraHPITamiya Hilux

...for performance purposes I think I'll be building up my SCX10 for the Enduro. It's a Cherokee now, but that will be changing for sure... Last run as a Cherokee was yesterday..

Been digging around seeing what I have and getting some parts together. This should be interesting! I almost wish I had my BOM back, that truck wheeled so good it was almost boring. I'm sure I can get the SCX in the ballpark though.

Haven't decided on the G6 rig yet, though it'll be one of the TRX's for sure. Just not sure which one.

Last edited by OSRC; 03-09-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

AWESOME news about the trailer!
i have been camping since i was 5 or younger, usually sleeping on a foam pad in the back of my dad's 79 F150.
fast forward some 20+ years and i finally convinced the wife if we get a trailer we can all go (im 40 now with 3 kiddos from 11 to 1.5) and we all LOVE IT!!!!

hope to hear good things from your trips, with and without the tiny trucks. it really is quality time with the fam!

and i don't own one but i think there are a bazillion parts available for that TRX4 and they are pretty tough. that one gets my vote! just swap the winch from the yota and order a 3/4 depth interior lexan tray from amazon (that's what i did and it looks to be based on a 79 ford interior!)
good luck sir and hope to see updates soon.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:33 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thanks! If i didn't have a camper, I was just going to throw an air mattress in the back of the Xterra. I'm not picky. It's just me for the G6 weekend, the wife and kids can't come. We've got 3 more camping trips planned later this year.

I'm hoping the pop up will last about 5 years, then I'd like a bigger camper....we'll get there!
Old 03-12-2020, 06:42 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

G6 prep has begun...started working on the 3 hour Enduro build. Tore down the Cherokee... I took out the Brushless ESC and motor and ditched the Cherokee body.

Since I need an interior of some type and didn't want to mess with the driveline/tranmission at all, I decided to go with an old school Axial Wrangler body. Also, I already had it on the shelf....so that comes in handy!

It was already drilled for my TRX4, so played around with various Axial offset body posts and what do you know? Everything lines up perfect!

Element transmission just tucks up under the seats. I was hoping it would since this body came on the old style SCX with the 3 gear trans. Glad to have the Element trans in there, gives me four OD options with the AR44 axles. Right now the axles had stock ratio's and the trans is set up at 12%.

And through the magic of the web, It's already drilled, trimmed and painted! Looked better in my head - kind of a hokey paint scheme, though I think it'll look OK once it's decalled out.

Going to decal the interior and then shoot it with some dullcoat. Tons of interior decals to put on, yikes!
Old 03-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

looks good to me!
i recently shot that Tamiya gunmetal inside my kyosho outlaw pro... that metalflake goes EVERYWHERE! i had some extra shiny boogers lol
Old 03-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Got quite a bit done this weekend on the Wrangler.

Interior pretty much done except the driver and required goodies. I guess this will count for a 2D interior.

Decalled up, fenders on, and cage mounted. Lots of work here for a Lexan body! Since Pitbull is the primary sponsor for the event, went liberal on the PB decals. A little suck up never hurts.

I looked at a lot of bumpers....wow, they are getting expensive! I sold off my Rampage bumper a while ago but it would have been perfect. I see it's now up to $60...wow. Looked at a few other options and ended up with a $21 KYX like I put on my TRX. Decently strong - at least for my purposes and fits the body well. Almost....mounted using the existing holes, it's way out there!

Drilled some new holes and boom!

Part of the reason I picked a Jeep body is the excellent approach/departure angles...I could have tucked it in further, but I think here is good. Not sure what I'm am doing with a winch yet - bumper mount or frame mount.

Found this YR bumper in my stash. It's a bit wide, but it'll work. Nice solid mount for the spare tire.

Great departure angle too!

Since I put a decent amount of weight up top with the cage and fenders, I added some Samix brass C's to the front axle to help offset.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:31 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Little more work done on the Jeep... The rear bumper mounts with the usual posts, but they were way long and kinda flimsy. Not doing to fall off or anything, but I think I can do better. So I took the spare plastic bumper mount, shaved down the ends until it slides into the chassis, and slid it inbetween the chassis rails right in front of the rear mount. So now the posts are held in with 2 mounts - bumper is now rock solid. Pic of the mount, though I forgot to grab a pic of it in the chassis.

I used my countersink bit to add some silver accents to the holes - dresses it up a little. Also trimmed the bottom of the body so it tucks in as far as possible. Pretty happy with how it all came out.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:46 AM   #14
Go Buckeyes!

Good looking Jeep!

The colors go well together and the scheme looks great!

I like what you did with the tire carrier! The silver accents dress it up nicely!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I'm building the Jeep for the Enduro run, and I want something different for the G6 run. Picking a rig for the G6 itself in my mind is like building an expedition rig. Capability and durability should be foremost. I decided to go with my TRX4...but which one? I've got 4 to choose from.

Ultimately, I decided on using my old sport chassis that currently had a Bronco body on it. It's already set up to perform, built like a tank, and has been dead nuts reliable. However, I decided to swap over the bronco body to my Sport which has much better aproach angles, plus an expedition cage to attach all the crap I need for the G6.

First thing I had to do was swap the body...no mean feat on a TRX. Can't just swap the body and bumpers, the fenders were trimmed for the sport body, so everything needs to be swapped. I plopped the 2 chassis side by side and started from the front and worked my way back. Bumpers, fenders, body mounts all got swapped between chassis.

About a billion screws later....

Lots of beef under here. Steel axles, HD diff covers, aluminum C's and some SSD brass. It's a heavy truck, but it's built to take it.

Cut up an old Deadbolt body for the interior, which is a requirement. I'll paint it up and figure out how to mount it.

Took it out to test a bit... I spent forever getting this truck tuned and it's already spot on, even with the body change. Only change I made was to lean the rear shocks in 2 holes for a little more progressive action, and higher tuck. Even with the weight of the cage out back, it handles great. Balance is good, grip is unreal, and very stable. I think once you add enough weight on the TRX chassis, it just pounds the contact patches and COG into submission. Wasn't much on my test course that challenged it.

The Gladiators are stuffed with PL dual stage foams and they have great grip. Not sure if I'll leave them or not. Great grip on the rocks, but not sure how they'll pack when it comes to mud and stuff.

Drives just like an expedition rig. Big, heavy, burly, and lots of flex. I like it! Still a lot of work to do - interior, winch, etc. but it's off to a great start.

Last edited by OSRC; 03-23-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:27 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Interior required, interior installed. Think it came out ok, it is a bit too short and narrow so I just made up the difference with some black duck tape. Almost seals it in, so I got that going for me which is nice. I'll need to pull it back out to add the scale bits required- instrument, music, etc. Sure hope this damn G6 isn't cancelled - it's in July so hoping the world is back to normal by then!

Old 04-24-2020, 07:09 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Now that I'm apparently a full time teacher, I haven't had much time at all for RC's..which is ok - some things are more important. I'm still prepping my G6 builds in the hope that we're still good to go in July. I've been cooped up in the house since mid March - a weekend away with tiny trucks sounds wonderful right now...

Anyway,

Finally got a few things finished on the SCX10. There's a winch section in the Enduro run so I had to figure that out. I found an older YR winch in my stash that fit the bumper perfectly. However, I couldn't get to the bolts on the mount plate to bolt it onto the bumper...They are under the winch! What a pain....What I ended up doing was drilling 4 holes in the bumper so I could get to the tiny screws that hold the winch to the mount plate ...

Then mounted the mount plate, and finally screwed the winch to it from up under the bumper. Man, that was way more difficult that it needed to be.

Rules say I need a spare tire - I'm hoping this will suffice. I didn't want the weight up top, so I took a small plastic "spare" from a Tamiya parts sprue, cut a large foam around it and stuffed the whole thing in a spare tire cover. Looks the part and weighs basically nothing.

Finally, sliders. Picked up some Axial sliders for the existing wrangler body...they fit, but not sure I like them. Square edge up front just looks like a hang up magnet. Not sure what I want to do here.

About ready for a test drive! Going to need some shock tuning for sure, wasn't happy with the balance last time out, though its a totally different body now.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

And got the TRX a little closer too... swapped over the electronics. The older Novak system is not waterproof, so I feel better swapping it out. Of course, it's a 1080 and Holmes Crawlmaster. Plently of smooooooth power. Really like these motors - fantastic deal for the price. Added an Axial radio box to keep the receiver dry, I'll seal it up when the winch comes in. Lost the TRX one, I can't find it anywhere!

New tires mounted up and ready to go - TSL Predators. Never any question of running anything else - TSL's just seem to hook up everywhere here in PA.

Added a servo guard while I was at it...combined with the shape of the bumper, it gives a nice "ramp up" to help the front bump up and over stuff. In theory of course. I have a Bowhouse winch mount ready and a servo winch on the way...do need to figure out a fairlead of some kind for this bumper. I have an idea...kinda.

Last edited by OSRC; 04-24-2020 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #19

That spare tire is very clever!

I feel the same about the sliders on the new Axial JL Jeep body. Why make something pointy? Isn't a slider's job to slide over things and not catch them?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:50 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Seeing your post bout the G6 really is making my contemplate entering myself. May have to do some research. Granted we will see what happens with the current state of world affairs.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote

A Noob's First G6 Adventure - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
a noob's yeti and some kydex kapitanmanok Axial Yeti 3 08-15-2016 07:31 PM
Noob's 4Runner 51WillysJeep 1.9 Scale Rigs 14 07-28-2011 11:11 PM
a noob's pajero pardonmyn00b Tamiya XC/CC01 57 06-22-2010 09:18 AM
Another Noob's Pajero jinspade Tamiya XC/CC01 11 08-16-2009 09:13 AM
Good info For Noob's BrockGrimes Newbie General 0 03-03-2006 07:37 AM