Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Motor options: Whats the best bang for the $?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Motor options: Whats the best bang for the $?

Just picked up a Goliath MMT a few weeks ago.

Seriously considering the Novak GOAT as a brushless set up but price tag prevents from from taking the plunge.

What other BL motors are worth looking into? Already ordered the new CC Sidewinder micro ESC and should be on its way.

Also looking into a brushed set up but there are many choices. How many turns should I limit myself at? Not looking to invest into a reduction tranny just yet as this is my first attempt at crawling and wish to keep things realistic (for the time being).

Whats the preferred ESC of choice?

Thanks in advance.
ASSASSINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Look at holmes hobbies for a brushless motor, they make good stuff. However, brushed is preferable to my taste, and for that I like my mamba max. The sidewinder 1/10 performs almost identically, I would have bought one but they weren't available when I bought my MM. Another (brushed only) option is the tekin FX-R, which has been getting rave reviews around here, and it's very small, which is good, though I can't personally vouch for it as I've never run one. As far as brushed motors go, you'll want a slower, torquey motor for the Goliath without a GRU, I'd advise looking into a handwound lathe, say 65t or so. The difference between the handwound and the machine wound is pretty big. If you decide to run a Castle ESC, I'd strongly advise a BEC, especially with a SW micro, as they don't have enough power in their internal BEC's.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for taking the time to reply Chris. Really appreciate the guidance.

I've decided to stick with a brushed setup until I get the hang of things.

As for the motor, how about the Integy V10 Rock Crawler 65T Motor? Should I be looking for better quality? As for a brushed ESC, I was looking for something REALLY small and compact. Like the Novak XRS for example.

Please explain what BEC and an SW switch is as I have no clue...
Old 03-30-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The V10 is a pretty decent motor, not too shabby at all. You can look into a higher quality motor, say one of the Holmes handwounds, or perhaps a team brood motor, not sure how much difference it'll make over a V10 (the highest turn motor I use regularly is a 35t)

A BEC is a battery eliminator circuit, which is essentially a voltage regulator to feed the proper voltage to your radio gear and servo(s). Most ESC's have built in BEC's, and most are not powerful enough for crawling use. This is a particular shortcoming with the Castle ESC's. Castle (among others) makes an external BEC, which is extremely strong, and the voltage output is adjustable via the castle link cable, which costs extra. If you order the BEC from holmes hobbies (man, I'm pimping the sh$% out of HH aren't I?) they will program the output to the correct voltage for this application, which is generally 6 volts (don't go over the suggested voltage limit of your servo.) If you overload the internal BEC, the ESC will usually shut down.

The best small brushed ESC I know of is, again, the Tekin FX-R, which is only1" x .8" x .4" (25mm x 20mm x 10.2mm) look for a review on that ESC in the electronics section.

I was referring to the sidewinder as a SW as an abbreviation.

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 03-30-2008 at 09:43 PM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:08 AM   #5
RCC Addict

C'mon Chris you know you want to tell him about that awesome new motor you got in your truck. Oh wait, good luck finding a HH puller motor anywhere
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:36 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks Chris.. guess I got alot of reading to do.