Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Anybody else notice this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up Anybody else notice this?

So it's been awhile since I've got my hands on new parts, but I recently replaced my front axle housing and just for yucks, I replaced the input shafts. Turns out that the input shafts fit alot tighter than the old ones. There's no back/forth movement and the axle housings have zero slop around the bearing carrier section. There's also no side-to-side movement of the spool.

I ran the hell out of this thing at a get-together this last weekend in an area notorious for tearing up drivelines. With no shims whatsoever, the front axle survived an entire day of abuse. I was pleasantly surprised, especially considering the carnage that many others suffered that day.

Kinda nice to see PTI continuing to make improvements. I do expect that I may need to shim later on as the axle cases break-in/or wear out, but that would be expected. Only time will tell.

Anyone else notice this? Or is this old news? This is the first time I've ever replaced those parts since I got this thing over 2 years ago.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

PTI did make some changes to the input shaft program on the screw machine. That's why they fit better. As for the axle housing, some minor adjustments were made there too. Let us know how they hold up.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #3

PTI sent me new axle halves a couple of months ago and I have not stripped a ring and pinion since. They said some of parts in the earlier kits were a little sloppy. Oh yeah they did not charge me either. The customer support at PTI is really good and they seem dedicated to improving the GRC.
prp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:06 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have had good luck w/ the ring and pinion until last night, stripped the front and rear out at the same time.

On here trying to find anything about metal gears for the axles instead of plastic, I don't like replacing parts with the same part I have broken before.
Pooflinger1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:37 AM   #5
RCC Addict

old news Ken! Geezz! j/k lol didnt you have a problem with the rear housing in our last comp? Did you get that all zip tied up or bublbe gum...
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote