Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: PTI wish list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #1

Default PTI wish list

I wish PTI would offer the following as options. Any other additions?

metal ring and pinion
slider drive shafts - complete kit (ive seen the thread but I am lazy)
high clearance links
rear straight axle kit
stronger servo mount
prp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prp1 View Post

metal ring and pinion
high clearance links
rear straight axle kit
stronger servo mount
X2
SALVELINUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:43 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

they are working on the high clearance lower links. I just saw the prototypes. They just need a little reworking before they are ready.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default PTI wish list

X3 on slider shafts. I know this would be involved, but man would it be worth it. It is just so difficult to make ride height changes and still keep the CVD's within their range of travel inside the transmission outdrive cups. I think this one change perhaps along with good metal diff gears would change the public's perception and marketability of this truck as a legitimate (stong/durable/competitive/desireable) rock crawler.

As a side note on making ride height changes--when lowering the ride height of the truck to attain a lower center of gravity and still keep the shocks at a functional angle, one must fabricate vertical extensions at the ends of the chassis rails ('shocktowers') on which to install the top of the shocks. It would be very nice to see these extensions as options available for purchase for those who desire a better crawler but who do not have the ability or time to fab up their own custom parts.

There are other parts that would be very desireable to see become available either as options or as standard fare such as a Slipper Clutch, Wheel Hexes and Solid Drive Pins that fit the existing stub axles to accomodate Hex Style wheels, the New Style Imex 2.2" Crawling Tires (I can't think of their name right now, but they are very competitive on todays crawlers....someone help me out here please), as well as other things, but these would be great to see become reality for the Goliath. Public perception is everything and it would be wonderful to see Paul make some or all of these things happen in order to help re-inforce and insure the future of this fine little truck.

PS: The aluminum servo mount does tend to bend easily upon impact as prp1 eluded to.

Last edited by BeeRC; 04-18-2008 at 03:05 PM.
BeeRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeRC View Post

As a side note on making ride height changes--when lowering the ride height of the truck to attain a lower center of gravity and still keep the shocks at a functional angle, one must fabricate vertical extensions at the ends of the chassis rails ('shocktowers') on which to install the top of the shocks. It would be very nice to see these extensions as options available for purchase for those who desire a better crawler but who do not have the ability or time to fab up their own custom parts.

If there is enough demand for a part like that Im positive a vendor would be willing to make them but, at that point you might as well go with a new chassis.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default PTI wish list

Vendors for Goliath parts are far and few between. Good luck on that. These should be inexpensive parts anyway. I'm simply presenting some ideas/suggestions/possibilities for our beloved little truck to help it be more competitive in todays market. I'm sure there are many others as well.

There is no need to go to a new chassis. There is nothing wrong with the stock chassis. It can be adapted to almost any need easily enough.

By the way, Rubicon is the Imex tire name I was trying to think of earlier. These are widely accepted and used by many comp crawlers.

Last edited by BeeRC; 04-18-2008 at 03:50 PM.
BeeRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
MODERHATER™

All I would really like to see is some type of alloy ring and pinion, preferably steel.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeRC View Post
Vendors for Goliath parts are far and few between. Good luck on that. These should be inexpensive parts anyway. .
Ok.... If there was enough demand I would be willing to make/sell them
(Goliath after market vendor here...see below)
Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Ok.... If there was enough demand I would be willing to make/sell them
(Goliath after market vendor here...see below)
Yeah the lack of parts made my pti slowly just turn into a custom crawler, now the only stock pti part i still use is the... well none planned on using the axles but ax-10's don't strip out as much yeah I know you have to shim them right but the axial axles work as is.

If there were some after market parts I might put it back together
Pooflinger1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:45 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmicromonster View Post
they are working on the high clearance lower links. I just saw the prototypes. They just need a little reworking before they are ready.
Are they bent rod or CNC?
210solomon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

what aftermarket products do you want? I dont have CNC ability but things like a stainless steel motor mount, heavier servo mounts etc arent out of the range of possibility...even bent links. I was considering packaging a set of links with the iA chassis but just not sure if there is the demand.

Any part that I am going to spend time/money developing needs to be able to sell at least 10 pieces... so if PTI users want it, they need to show that they want it and they have to follow thru on buying it. Its very hard for a Vendor or a company to make hopups when noone actually buys them, Im sure thats why PTI has been slow at making anything for their truck. Thats also why you see so much stuff for the AX10, everyone thinks its the next best thing since sliced bread and they arent afraid to hop it up. I have a club member who has dumped over $1500 into his axial, how many PTI users are willing to do that?

Last edited by jetboat; 04-22-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
All I would really like to see is some type of alloy ring and pinion, preferably steel.
x2

this is why my goliath sits on the shelf. no ring and pinions in the axles and I don't want to spend money on gears I know will strip. the goliath is an awesome truck otherwise and I can't wait to get mine running again
evileddy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:35 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Yeah honestly I don't think the pti is going back together other than a mud bogger/basher, so I don't tear my truck up two days before a comp like last month
I love the pti just don't think it would be worth dumping money into being a comp crawler
Pooflinger1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

everyone keeps bashing PTI gears, I dont get it. Ive been running 2 PTI for 2 years now and have blown 2 gears. The first was my fault because I didnt get the E clip on right and it came off and chewed things up. The second was after a year of running (unshimmed) and that was because I didnt brace the input properly. Eventually a little play wore into it and it started to strip. While I had the gears out I checked the other axle (that was braced) and it looked brand new. Ive watched guys running tc3/tc4's with huge brushless motors in them all day long without tearing up a gear, PTI's have the same gear set....leads me to believe its the user not the axle.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I agree with you jetboat. I have only tore 2 gears myself after about 2 years of running. I dont belive the gear are the problem. You cant just full throttle when it is binding up. My other pti truck I have a bm9 brushless motor in it with a r2d tranny. I have never broke that truck yet. I have been running that one about a year now.
drc323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #16
RCC Addict

So what I am hearing is that gears are not quite the issue????
210solomon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #17
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Not exactly. It can be a number of factors. On my 2 year old axles with the original input shafts, I had to shim both the spool and the input shaft to take the play out. But even after I did that, I was blowing up gears because the bearing carriers for the input shaft had wallowed out over time allowing the bearings supporting the input shaft to wobble and throw the mesh outta wack (if that makes sense). I've recently started running new axle cases with updated input shafts. The tolerances are noticeably tighter on the input shaft, so I haven't had to run any shims. I've had zero problems so far. But over time, parts do start to wear. After numerous rollovers and wipeouts and constant flexing, I'm sure the new axle cases are gonna wear out. You can't expect this stuff to last forever.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:44 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210solomon007 View Post
So what I am hearing is that gears are not quite the issue????

I would say the gears are 20% of the problem. The plastic gear set isnt as mistake friendly, you realy do have to set them up properly. Shim the gears properly, ditch the stock screws and go with 4-40's on the input and I think you'll be allot happier.

All gears will break if you put enough power to them and bind them...
Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

The gears in my axles stripped before I got out the door to test on the rocks. I know they were set up properly. Plastic sucks for ring and pinions
evileddy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:47 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by prp1 View Post

metal ring and pinion
high clearance links
rear straight axle kit
stronger servo mount
Recently got an email from PTI. Some of these things are in the works.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote