Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: my PTI GRC questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 05:20 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default my PTI GRC questions

I have been slowly modifing my GRC, and I am looking into batteries and also a body. I have a 6 cell 1500mah cheap pack from Shark and it does not last that long, I was wondering has anyone gone with the SC cell type? Or is it better to get 2 packs of the 2/3a or 4/5a cells and just swap them out? I know that it is better to have the batteries up front but how did you mount them? I don't have the $ to change over to lipo yet.

also I was wondering what the 12" wheel base extention chassis length is and also does it change where you can put the battery?

I am looking at a body and has anyone ever run a mini cooper body? please let me know thanks, any help would be awesome.

Hendrik
Mud Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I use the small 6cell stick packs. Like the ones for the MiniQuake, Vendetta, or even the RC18. I just use velcro to stick them to my servo. They are 1400 and run time is close to 30 minutes.

The 12" kit does not really change where to put the battery. I just kept it on the servo.

One guy in our club runs a Mini Cooper. It looks different, but works pretty well.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
RCC Addict

i have two of thesehttp://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-Crawl...r-p-16620.html and i usually get 45min-to an hour on them but when i do a lot of speed crawling or rock racing i get 30-45 min.
i use them on my axial rig too.
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Skeeno, do you have a pic of the mini cooper?

Hendrik
Old 08-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Upon further review, it is not a Mini Cooper. It is another Japanese small car. I think it's a Tamiya Swift, possibly?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMGA1&P=7
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Ok, another question. I just got a set of Mayhem comp Double Phatty rims and I have only put on the front rims to try it and have noticed a huge increase in rolling weigth. I need more torque and power!!! Which GRU has the most gear reduction and also that is fairly easy to install? I also am going to increase my battery voltage to 8.4V's.

Here is what I have:

Shark 1500mAh battery pack 7.2V
Matrix Pro lathe motor 55T Sin
JR Racing XR2i 2ch AM 1/z590 Pistol comp remote
JR Racing z590m servo with 85 oz/in
ESC XRS sport w/ reverse speed control

Any help would be awesome, thanks in advance

Hendrik
Old 08-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #7

gd-600 works great, dirt cheap.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSL79&P=ML
I Run a crawlmaster sport mamba max 2s lipo 9 tooth pinion on motor 96 tooth spur and a 15 tooth on gru. Slows the truck way down with tons of power. You can also flip the whole chassis around so the battery is up front, puts more weight over the front tires. Check the pti gallery section for some different set ups.

Last edited by prp1; 08-22-2008 at 09:20 PM.
prp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Monkey View Post
Ok, another question. I just got a set of Mayhem comp Double Phatty rims and I have only put on the front rims to try it and have noticed a huge increase in rolling weigth. I need more torque and power!!! Which GRU has the most gear reduction and also that is fairly easy to install? I also am going to increase my battery voltage to 8.4V's.

Here is what I have:

Shark 1500mAh battery pack 7.2V
Matrix Pro lathe motor 55T Sin
JR Racing XR2i 2ch AM 1/z590 Pistol comp remote
JR Racing z590m servo with 85 oz/in
ESC XRS sport w/ reverse speed control

Any help would be awesome, thanks in advance

Hendrik
I think the PTI GRU is 3.2:1, so it would have more reduction than the GD600. It also mounts inline, so your CG is lower.

The Z590 is a little to weak for crawling. I'd go with a servo that has atleast 200oz of torque. The TowerPro946R is under $20 and is a good start. Others cost around $100.

That XRS needs a BEC to maintain proper voltage to the servos. Novak and Castle make good units.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:50 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Does the PTI GRU fit with out the extension kit installed? My b-day is coming up so I have a wish/ priorty list of things for the crawler.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Monkey View Post
Does the PTI GRU fit with out the extension kit installed? My b-day is coming up so I have a wish/ priorty list of things for the crawler.
yup
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #11

Default How to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prp1 View Post
gd-600 works great, dirt cheap.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSL79&P=ML
I Run a crawlmaster sport mamba max 2s lipo 9 tooth pinion on motor 96 tooth spur and a 15 tooth on gru. Slows the truck way down with tons of power. You can also flip the whole chassis around so the battery is up front, puts more weight over the front tires. Check the pti gallery section for some different set ups.

Excuse my ignorance; i'm new into the crawling and trying put my
Golliath in good shape by doing some upgrades to it, Like i said excuse my ignorance but can you tell me how to install the gd600 thanks for your help.
BRUSSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
K_B
I wanna be Dave

The GD-600 is not a direct drop-in. You have to file the output shaft down to fit a standard pinion or get a 5mm pinion from RC4WD. It's almost worth the extra dough just to purchase the RC4WD 4:1 GRU and fore-go the hassle of filing down the shaft...

Here's how I had mine installed. Not sure how much help it's going to be. Those pink zip ties are there to keep the motor plate from flexing and throwing the gear mesh outta whack.

K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #13

I'll second the need to watch out for the motor plate flexing when using the GD-600. Since I removed the battery plate posts, I ran zip ties around the frame rails and under the gear reduction unit.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote