Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: What make goliath so special

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 07:30 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Lets see no one used PTI axles in the Nationals...

If you want strong axles you buy Axial or Bergs....both need minimum $ to be 100% comp winners. PTI's are plastic gears...come on thats for toys, not crawlers.
Poulson...
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #22
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
As for the plastics being for toys...tell brushless tc4/tc5's doing 60-70mph that.

they arent trying to spin a 5'' tire from a dead stop with maximum torque. thats like saying a crawler can use 64p spurs because oval racers do and dont strip them easily.

but i know what your saying, the plastic ( actually composite material ) can hold up to a certain amount of abuse.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
You'll remember this thread in six months to a year and be kicking yourself in the ass for buying the goliath. I've been there done that. You'll end up buying something else.
I also have been there done that, kicked myself in the junk several times for trying it.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #24
20K Club

Working for an aftermarket manufaturer I have owned and/or beaten about every truck even semi popular to crawling.

In one day we completly ruined 2 PTI's. It was during a session when two of us were actually working with PTI to try and figure what to do to improve the truck. I was uneasy about getting on board with the project. PTI sent two kits with GRU and the stretch kit.

We ended up destroying both trucks in one day. Absoultely no way I would ever purchase one. They are not up to the hardcore abuse.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Well, in my belief (not personal use) I think the truck itself is bad. The axles on it are okay, but only the newer revision cases. The older ones were sloppy, and if you sand them down even further (just a little) to reduce slop and flash, then they are even tighter. The ring and pinion can be good. The Poulson axles use the same gears and input shafts, and they can make it to the top 5 at Nats (Naz-T and the Agent J 2007) so I trust the drivetrain, but it's not up to something like a cobalt puller. More suited to a lightweight rig, with less power. Oh and by the way, Axial axles are better. PTI axles are okay but unless you already have them, don't use them.

Last edited by Crawlerguy851; 09-22-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:50 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
so by that reasoning, after next year the only axles to get will be Bergs or other MOA's because you know they will dominate nationals next year. As for the plastics being for toys...tell brushless tc4/tc5's doing 60-70mph that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
they arent trying to spin a 5'' tire from a dead stop with maximum torque. thats like saying a crawler can use 64p spurs because oval racers do and dont strip them easily.

but i know what your saying, the plastic ( actually composite material ) can hold up to a certain amount of abuse.

Beat me to it Robbob!
DLE88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
You'll remember this thread in six months to a year and be kicking yourself in the ass for buying the goliath. I've been there done that. You'll end up buying something else.
So true....
I kicked MYself six months ago for buying the PTI last year.

Would you put a Honda civic diff. inside a DANA 60?
Well thats what is in the PTI axles, A little race car diff.
Optional parts are minimal to nothing.
Its a great challenge to try and make it work though.
Let us know how turns out if you decide too continue with the PTI.

Last edited by Da Hermit; 09-25-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Da Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

so, is there anyway to make a goliath competitive?
newbie8324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
thats like saying a crawler can use 64p spurs because oval racers do and dont strip them easily.

I've used 64 pitch gears in every one of my crawlers for the past 4 years and have never had a problem.
TylerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #30

My sons pti is a better crawler than my tlt sw2 at the moment..I may be fairly new to this but he is 10 and his truck is still holding on after about a year..we had a few minor probs to start with but after the stretch its a fine truck.Just my 2c
speedbob712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

i'm gonna swap a ax10 tranny into my goliath, to lower the cog. see how this does, i might even use the ax10 chassis, and cut links to fit. right now, i am comfy with the axles, using a 55t and 6 cells.
doomdog666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #32

What makes it so special:

Upper links delivered in Extension-Kit are WAY TO SHORT, about 1/3" to short. USELESS! COMPLETE USELESS! To have a good angle for the axle you're on the end of the thread. No pinky, no brain.

Axle Braces reduce Steering TOO MUCH. Nice idea. Nobody needs steering. Having no Servo saves energy.

Axle-Brace-Screws are TOO SHORT. It's more like a "Now you can see we really wanted to send you screws, but sorry...*smile*"

Chassis-Rails are bended a little and have sharp edges like X-Acto dreams of. Saves buying a knife to open the bags. Good idea!

The Screws are cheap, you can't build it crawl-ready using them, only tighten them softly, and YES, i have correct tools. All sizes Wiha professional screwdrivers. It's a brandnew alloy using steel and creamed corn (Patent pending).

CVD's stuck if angle is too much between axle and driveline. Stock angle is TOO MUCH. Funny! Haha.

Choose between buying a PTI or smashing with a hammer on sum aluminium/plastic til it looks (use ur fantasy) like a crawler part. From this point it's the same work you have to do on both to make it a working crawler.

XbX

(has 2 PTI GRC but no fun)
XbanditoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie8324 View Post
so, is there anyway to make a goliath competitive?
Yes. Replacing it completely.
XbanditoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #34
RCC Addict

With the coming metal gears and dig tranny that PTI has informed me are coming my way soon, I look forward to updating my PTI. It hung well with the other TLTs and Axials before the coming of bigger power and dig. I think it will be competitive once these two pieces are installed.

Last edited by Skeeno; 12-03-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:55 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

a pti is like a tlt it takes time and money to be comp worthy.with a axial they took the downfall/short comings of the more generalized ogs and sent you a 90% comp rig in a box.i got my pti when the only other choice was a tlt. this was by far more comp worthy than a tlt stock.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
With the coming metal gears and dig tranny that PTI has informed me are coming my way soon, I look forward to updating my PTI. It hung well with the other TLTs and Axials before the coming of bigger power and dig. I think it will be competitive once these two pieces are installed.
Is there really a dig unit and metal gears going to be available?
bvek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #37
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvek View Post
Is there really a dig unit and metal gears going to be available?
No... not really... Skeeno just likes to spout off for no reason
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:21 AM   #38

I bought a PTI when they first released the goliath. At the time, the TLT was really the only other thing out there. I spent some time tinkering with it and managed to burn a 55 turn lathe motor because the gearing sucked. I enjoyed building the thing but agree the screws were mostly too short.

I eventually purchased a gd600 GRU and some traxxas links to lengthen the rig. I got around to lengthening it with my set up and found ways to mount the shocks. But while I was trying to figure out a way to build driveshafts, PTI released the lengthening kit. I purchased it, but never installed.

So now my PTI sits in a box, half build / half in pieces while I plan to buy an Axial.

As for the axle quality, I only stripped one gear, but that was my fault. I did not tighten a screw in the diff well enough and it fell out while I was driving and took out the gears. Never had a problem with any of the other parts, but I have only ever bashed with it, never real crawling or comps.

Why am I going Axial? Because I like the looks of it and I really like the HBZ warthog and want that.
lqdKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

i use axials all the way but mine are all aluminum..work great no problems, ill strip a hex before stripping a gear inside these things. iv never used pti axles nor never will but all i can say is that axial is a great crawler all around and the axials can handle the tourqe(my opinion)
smm_cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #40

looks liek there is alot of dispute over AXIAL'S and PTI'S
corvette crawle is offline   Reply With Quote