Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tell me about the PTI Goliath?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2005, 02:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question Tell me about the PTI Goliath?

I just traded a guy for a PTI goliath and I have almost no info on it. I was wondering what tranny, diffs, and suspension parts are suceptible to damage and wear? Will I be able to stretch this thing and make a tube frame for it? I plan on building a nice mud/climbing scale bronco with the axles but I have no idea where to start.

I had a tlt1 and traded or sold it off last year and I couldn't stand not having something to play with around the house anymore.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2005, 10:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Its basically a Team Associated TC3. Not sure what parts do what though. I've seen stretched trucks out of them. Not many people have them because of all the production problems they had getting them out. I know one18th.com has a pretty sizeable PTI group there, so they'd be able to tell you the pitfalls of it, but seeing some of their rigs, I am not sure on their knowledge of crawling.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Tower has them in stock currently but no replacement parts are listed; people on one18th have had success getting parts directly from PTI.

There's a few threads here about it including one I did on gearing options. The tranny is a simple 48 pitch 81T spur / 18T pinion in stock form; you can go as low as 93T / 12T and then you'll need a GD600 for a serious reduction.

I've seen the ball diffs locked, or you can get TC3 spools. You can get longer shafts to stretch it but I forget from which truck. It takes 2.2 tires so that'll give you a lot of options there. Bearings are standard.

The stock steering sucks; convert that to a traditional crawler setup if the previous owner hasn't. The axles are identical so 4WS would be easy if you want that.
Mazlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Here's a link to a good post at one18th.com:

http://www.one18th.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20907

It's a basic stretch and doesn't use anything special and it's easy to do. But it does still use the cantilever setup which I know some people don't like.

I wish there was some more activity on this board concerning this rig. I'd post all sorts of pictures and write-ups on mine, but it's still stock and until I have more time/money to burn, it's gonna stay that way. It's hella fun right outta the box. It's way better than any stock TLT.

The only wear I've noticed on mine so far is the outdrives are a little wallowed out from constant forward/reverse motion. You can get a spool for the nitro TC3/4 that's a direct replacement for the ball diffs. I suppose with a little patience you could easily lock the stock diffs with some drilling and some screws.

In that post, there should be a section where he talks about installing a GD-600 gear reduction as well. I'm currently running the stock spur with the smallest pinion I could find at the LHS, a 12 tooth. Improved the torque immensely. The stock plastic pinion (an 18T or something) doesn't seem all that durable in my experience either.

The cantilever arms seem a little wobbly too. I haven't broke any yet, but they do show some flex under full compression of the suspension. There's posts on how to fix that too.

I had to relocate the whole rear plate for the electronics/body posts back about 1/2" to accomodate a 6 cell triangle pack.

Production problems are supposedly taken care of since the "second batch" of trucks started shipping.

@ one18th.com, posts by Maxxitout and themerc64 and shagrat69 seem to be the more helpful posts. Also, OGmicromonster pops in every so often and he's good information as he is the apparent designer of the original MMT that PTI bought the rights to.

Last edited by K_B; 08-18-2005 at 01:04 PM.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:27 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

It's good to hear it has associated parts on it. I'm a big fan of there stuff vs/ the tamyia kits. I've just enjoyed working on thier stuff more than any other manufaturers.

So the pti is a bit bigger than the tlt? I wonder how well it will fit under a 10th scale body with a stretch?
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:29 PM   #6
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I'd say it's no more than an inch longer than a TLT. Not sure about width. That stretch I linked to previously fits well with Stampede bodies which are supposedly around 1/12th scale.

Stretching it further to fit a 1/10 scale body would require longer CVDs than are available (I think). If that is the case, you'd have to do away with the stock tranny and go with a stampede tranny and slider shafts. Adapting sliders to the axle pinion is pretty simple from what I've seen.

This also means some customizing needs to be done to the chassis to make room for the new tranny or a brand new custom chassis seems more likely. Or... maybe a losi tranny or stealth tranny (if they use sliders) might be better suited as they seem a little more compact? I could be wrong...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:34 PM   #7
tim

I just traded of one my self can not wait to get it I will keep you posted on how it hold up to my torcher.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote