Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: PTI MMT GOLIATH project, 10.6" wb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 06:36 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default PTI MMT GOLIATH project, 10.6" wb

Finished my PTI MMT Goliath project this past saturday, and here are a couple Teaser pics of it.
Currently all is stock except my rockers, control arms, draglink steering, steering servo mounts, shock soxz, Pirate 10 wheels, IMEX All-T tires Foamless for now, Phantomsteins ShockSoxz, RC10GT CVD Bones, and modified body mounts..... a few mods here and there, but all in all its 50% stock stilll...LOL

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...athREDONE2.jpg

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...athREDONE1.jpg

it don't quite fit its old britches......LOL
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...iathREDONE.jpg

more to come when i get it completed along w/ probably a Stampede H2Bod.
phantom309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

thats pretty short.... 10.6wb... my tlt is 11.25 and i am gonna ad another inch to the rear cus my truck is too short....

Suggestions...
1 Lenghen ur truck... i kno its hard because u need to get the right cvds/driveshafts
2 Get rid of the front skid
3 DITCH the canties
4 That motor is up pretty talll... n e way u can flop the GD down?
5 there is no batt in the pic but make sure to keep that low also...
6 If they are not LOCK THE DIFFS NOW. WITH JB WELD!!!!!!!!

Prety sweet rig i hope it works out... not many ppl use the golliath axles and when u take off the skids shave the axles...

Pretty sweet setup hope u have some luck with the All t's most ppl havnt

But hey have fun with it.... thoes axles look alot beffer that tlts... mabey u could make it like a basher / crawler... so it has some speed to it!
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

nice rig there.. what wheel are you using??
Speed Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:47 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom309
shock soxz, Pirate 10 wheels, IMEX All-T tires Foamless for now,
xtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

"They were right in the middle when he topped the hill.
He tried to brake, and went into a skid...
He gave his life trying to save that bunch of kid...
And that was the end of the line, for big Red and Phantom 309."

Something like that right? Used to be one of my favorite songs when I was real young.

Anyway, your PTI looks good. A question for you. How is the center transmission set up on these trucks? I've never seen anything written about it or its durability. Also, to drop the motor, you could possibly flip the GD600 upside down and mount it that way, could probably get the motor 1" lower than it is now.

Those are some furry shocks by the way.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

if i remember correctly the tranny is set up some what like a TLT but it isnt belt driven... so its pinion/spurr to a jack shaft to another smaller gear to a bigger one... there was a write up in one of the latest Rc car magizine.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:42 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Plays, yep, somethin like that...heheh

ND, basically was a wknd project, i had the lexan so made the cants, had GT cvd's so used em. know of any longer CVD bones than 86mm, considerably longer, T4 is 89mm, only 3mm more, want some that are CONSIDERABLY longer, and still be able to use. I'd use maxx or some other bones, but the ball is too big, and i don't have the machining to make them smaller. I have no clue how the All-T's are going to work, were on the shelf, so used them. i'm working on a way of flipping the GD over as well, these pics are of the Beta version if you will, so i'm still getting my feet wet in the crawling scene. Speed and power were my usual thing.

and yes, the tranny consists of pinion to spur (original) in reality, just a motor pinion to main drive spur. with the GD, there's a 12 tooth pinion, to 48 spur, to 12 pinion to 81 spur, if my calculations are correct, the CVD's are at 10.55:1 ratio.

thinking about using the stock 5 / 6 cell setups on it, but as always, i'll find a way to get it flat, low, and centralized, not all in the a$$end of the truck. thinking of a 3/3 setup, 3 front 3 rear. Not enough room to mount on front axle, like bertha, but i'll figgure something out.

Eventually i'm thinking of using a mamba brushless in it.

Thanks for all the input, can't wait to get some more time and get This one, my Juggy, and Bertha all out crawlin.... have been skoping out some nice rock/brick piles, as well as local creek banks (rock ledges of course).

as i mentioned earlier, i'm still getting my feet wet, and i know how to take constructive criticizm...hehehe, to a point. so ALL suggestions/comments welcome.
phantom309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 03:22 PM   #8
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Looks good. Even if it is short I just spent well over an hour at the LHS collecting the parts needed to do a stretch on mine. I even got some fancy blue MAXX shocks. I haven't even got the thing together and I'm already trying to figure out an alternative to the cantilevers.

If you figure out how to flip that gearbox, be sure to post up. I'm very curious as to how it could be done. If you're thinking brushless, there's some posts around here about somebody using an AXI brushless motor with the Mamba 25 ESC. I think this would be an ideal setup in the Goliath considering the gd-600 takes up a good chunk of space. The AXI motor is half the length of the motor you have in there. And lighter too.

And if you didn't know already, I've been hearing good things about the TC3 spools for locking the axles...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

ya u can use tc3 spools for this truck.... the diffs are straight from it... but jb weld works god and is pretty cheap!
Old 09-28-2005, 10:36 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

ANy idea on metal gears to replace the stock ones in the diff?? I mean to replace the stock ring gear and drive gear to a metal type...
Old 09-28-2005, 11:20 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

what material r they made out of now... aluminum? plastic? cast iron? cast aliminum? titanium? graphite?

They obviously had to build the tranny to take a beating.... it came with a 550 size motor...
Old 09-29-2005, 01:53 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Default My Goliath??

Here is mine.. thanks for looking...http://members.fortunecity.com/speed...20Goliath.html
Old 09-29-2005, 08:52 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Pssst....

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDGD6&P=ML (bought two 2.5 years ago, and came with plastic gears... sold them to badhoopty, dirt cheap too)
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJTS2&P=7

As for metal gears, the only company that comes to mind would be Robinson Racing.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote