Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: PTI no more???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
rik
RCC Addict

Question PTI no more???

Hello all, first let me say that this is my first time posting in a forum. So if this is posted wrong or whatever, I apologize. I have two questions. #1. Is PTI out of business? I ordered a spur gear 2 months ago for my GRC12 and still have yet to receive it! I have tried to call the # listed on ptiracing .net, but to no avail. I have also sent them numerous email's but still have not received even one reply. #2 Is there an alternate spur gear i can use in this rig? I am a CNC machinist so modifying another spur gear is no problem at all. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Crawl on ppl!
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

There is nothing special about the spur. It's just a basic 48p gear. Many others will fit. I believe the stock one is actually a Kimbrough brand spur:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...B%3E+gears+48p

But others work as well. I've used Robinson "stealth" spur gears before:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=robinson+spur

The trick is to make sure it has the holes for the outdrives to key into, make sure the tooth-count is correct and make sure it's 48 pitch.

As for PTI still being in business, I have no idea.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
rik
RCC Addict

K_B, Thanks for the reply! Much Appreciated. I believe you are correct about the Kimbrough being the stock one. Looks like it to me. Did you have to modify the Robinson "stealth" spur or was it just a "bolt and go" deal? thanks again
Old 10-21-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

you can use a team associated 48p spur gear also. there the excate same thing. i keep stripping mine out so i use a aluminum one from a kyosho rock force. had to bore out the pin holes ever so slightly but is works.
fordtoys88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
K_B
I wanna be Dave

The Stealth is a direct fit. I would recommend the Kimbroughs if you can get 'em. The Stealths are designed for low rotating mass and are milled out significantly. They tend to tweak under stress and strip. They're also kinda spendy.

The trick to keeping the spur from stripping is to support the motor. Fab up a crossmember of some kind to put between the framerails to help hold the motor up. That will keep the motor plate from flexing and screwing up your gear mesh. I think zipties strapped across the framerails would work.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
The Stealth is a direct fit. I would recommend the Kimbroughs if you can get 'em. The Stealths are designed for low rotating mass and are milled out significantly. They tend to tweak under stress and strip. They're also kinda spendy...
X2, Kimbrough is much better under high load such as a crawler. No idea about PTI in or out of businesss...
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
RCC Addict

From what I heard, PTI is kinda done (for now) but I also heard they were gonna still try to help support their customers with whatever parts they had left in inventory.
KRAWLR4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Yeah I figured it was just a matter of time before the official "out of business" popped up. I've had a pending order from them sense Febuary

Any one know where I can get a couple of PTI Jeep bodies
NaZ-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default Metal gears are still available

Mike Poulson and I have the metal gears for sale. Fits the PTI axles and the TC3 Diff.
motorman1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
Hello all, first let me say that this is my first time posting in a forum. So if this is posted wrong or whatever, I apologize. I have two questions. #1. Is PTI out of business? I ordered a spur gear 2 months ago for my GRC12 and still have yet to receive it! I have tried to call the # listed on ptiracing .net, but to no avail. I have also sent them numerous email's but still have not received even one reply. #2 Is there an alternate spur gear i can use in this rig? I am a CNC machinist so modifying another spur gear is no problem at all. Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this post. Crawl on ppl!

I had to order some parts for mine a while ago.i also emailed but i got a responce, but it took a few day's it took me a month to get my stuff. as of the spur gear. axial ones work to. im running the 87t in mine.i did have to knotch out the bottom plate a tad for it though. plus there are a few different sizes to. just adding to the list of parts. the only thing on mine thats pti is the tranny and axles along with a couple stickers to sport of the pti pride.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
rik
RCC Addict

Smile Thanks!!!!

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! Very much appreciated! You ALL have pointed me in the right direction. A side note to any one wondering about the in or out of business matter.. It does look like PTI is done. I have a claim opened thru pay pal againts them. Ya know, since they had no problem taking my money, but a problem giving me my gears. :( They have had ten days to contact pay-pal and didn't. So i will let all of you do the deductive math. Again, many thanks to all who replied to this thread!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #12

I actually called PTI and got a number disconnected recording.I need front diff gears and shock mounts.....
ReignMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #13
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Front diff gears are easy. You can get the ring/pinion set, but you'll have to auger out the hole to fit on the spool, if you're running one. It's a direct fit for the open diff.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXNZ99&P=ML

Or, you can get just the diff gear that's designed for the spool with a bigger opening.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSG37&P=7

I would suggest getting the metal gears from Mike Poulson on this board. They're a little spendy at around $45/pr, but chances are, you won't strip 'em...

For shock mounts, if you're talking about the little angled pieces that connect to the axle, you'll have to fab those yourself or come up with an alternate mounting method...
Old 11-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #14

Thanks for the Info K B ,This is my First Crawler Rig and I have been disappointed in PTI's Axles thus far,especially when I found that support from the company was no more,I also have a bent dogbone inside the axle housing.Just not having a good experience with PTI.
ReignMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
K_B
I wanna be Dave

The Goliath was really the first company to market an actual crawler. The problem is that the crawler was based on the MMT which was never really designed to handle the rigors of crawling and when you compare it to what's out now, makes that even more apparent. I had to do some serious modifications to mine to get it crawler capable. Including upgrading the dogbones:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLV96&P=7

Also check out "how do I get more steering?" thread for info on installing CVDs, which would be a worthwhile upgrade if you plan on sticking with the Goliath.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I'm running HPI Super Nitro dogbones on my axles and haven't broken one since 2007. They are slightly large in diameter compared to the PTI units.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLV96&P=7

Part number: A553
ASSASSINO is offline   Reply With Quote