Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: should i buy a goliath

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default should i buy a goliath

My friend is trying to sell me his pti goliath but I was woundering how it stands up to the axail and losi. And also is it a 1/10 r what size is it and if pti went out of bussniss how haed is it to find replace ment parts
herburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
RCC Addict

With PTI gone, I would advise against buying it, unless you can get it for really cheap. Go with the Axial or Losi; both are more durable and have more readily available parts support.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

The Grim Reaper is gonna to get the Goliath anyday now.
Mudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
jwo
Rock Crawler

yup, i liked my Goliath when i had it. best advise. tell your buddy no thanks. they are decent but it takes quite a bit of work to get them up and running against an stock axial. the stockers are 1/16th with the stretch 1/10th. if you do decide. motorman1600 sells metal gears for em. but the thing is there is no replacement parts for the poor things anymore.there are other parts that work on them, but no direct parts from the dealer. they had a good little run. id check out your other options. unless he's gonna give it to you for free. but even then i'd still be lookin.it would get you by. i was always afraid i was gonna break mine. my axial.that can take a poundin. if it werent for this forum i wouldve sent mine to the parts bin long before it did.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #5
rik
RCC Addict

your decision should be based on one question. Can you fabricate parts? If you can then grab it while you can. If not, then move on. I've had my goliath for a few years now, and i love it. It's still a work in progress. Though, lucky me, I am a cnc machinist. so parts, for me, are easy. the design of the stock truck is pretty simple and straight forward. modding is very easy. (and a MUST) please also note that there is quite a few wicked pti's on here that are hand made. (no machining, just some good ole' hand tools) so if you're handy with tools, have patients, and the truck is cheap (and your low on funds) grab it. what do ya have to lose??? if you dont like it, you can always sell it on ebay! hey, i for one would bid on it! i love these trucks!!!
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
jwo
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik View Post
your decision should be based on one question. Can you fabricate parts? If you can then grab it while you can. If not, then move on. I've had my goliath for a few years now, and i love it. It's still a work in progress. Though, lucky me, I am a cnc machinist. so parts, for me, are easy. the design of the stock truck is pretty simple and straight forward. modding is very easy. (and a MUST) please also note that there is quite a few wicked pti's on here that are hand made. (no machining, just some good ole' hand tools) so if you're handy with tools, have patients, and the truck is cheap (and your low on funds) grab it. what do ya have to lose??? if you dont like it, you can always sell it on ebay! hey, i for one would bid on it! i love these trucks!!!
he's got a point there. this was my goliath tuber i hand built. it was actually a pretty capable rig. served me well, but it was eventually time for bigger and better things. still got the tuber. couldnt get rid of that. took forever to build.i guess since i finially got around to getting a pic of it, i can add it to the gallery.

jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
I joined the Band!

Default should i buy a goliath

Good progress, now if it can compete with the TLTs i guess time will tell. You made it about the best you can.Am I the only one who thinks those Goliath axles and a cleaner servo setup would look killer as a scale rig?
hectorloshuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #8

i just bought a pti off ebay like 4 seconds ago im going to build it and run it in local comps
Swamp Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

best thing about my PTI, is when i seen the guy i sold it too walk off with it!
jon1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1197 View Post
best thing about my PTI, is when i seen the guy i sold it too walk off with it!
Ouch! Is this supposed to be something like the old boat saying..

'The second happiest day is the day I bought it, and the happiest day is the day I sold it!'
sforsancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
With PTI gone, I would advise against buying it, unless you can get it for really cheap. Go with the Axial or Losi; both are more durable and have more readily available parts support.
X2....................my Axial has been running since they first released em with only minor maintenance and minimal repairs. Rebuilding now with Losi shocks and Vanquish Product Incision chassis.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I loved my Goliath...very straight forward design....it makes for a great scale build ONLY...like others said: you will not be able to make it comp-worthy unless you can tool your own parts...
the_ghetto_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

They're no good. POS's
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
Scale Detail Engineering

I'm trying to get around to starting a Goliath build.
I'm just going to set it up as a 4ws mt.

I think I'm going to throw my scx electronics in it... I hope it'll hold up with the 27t on NiMh... I was originally going to throw in a Traxxas 1/16 VXL brushless but decided that would destroy the poor little truck.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I'm trying to get around to starting a Goliath build.
I'm just going to set it up as a 4ws mt.

I think I'm going to throw my scx electronics in it... I hope it'll hold up with the 27t on NiMh... I was originally going to throw in a Traxxas 1/16 VXL brushless but decided that would destroy the poor little truck.
Watch out. I lent a rooster crawler to a buddy, so he could run his new pti and with no gear reduction. He got it in a bind and poof. The rooster went up in smoke. The rooster was new out of the package.
Jeepkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #16
Scale Detail Engineering

I think this is only going to be a yard/parking lot truck... most likely it'll end up a shelf queen.
I'll start a fresh build thread if I can manage to actually start working on it.

I wonder if a traxxas stampede trans will fit in there, slipper clutch.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #17
I joined the Band!

I wouldnt spend the money on it when there are so many other options out there
bayareaaxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #18
Scale Detail Engineering

I picked mine up really cheap. I've always like the looks of the Goliath in MT form, reliability aside. It's a novelty item for me. I have other rigs that'll actually take the abuse the GMT won't.

If your looking at the Goliath as a daily driver, basher or crawler... I'd suggest passing.