Old 10-28-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default for the pti goliath owners

its a chassis kit no price yet http://einerbee.cafe24.com/tt/index.php?pl=211
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Someone posted a pic or two of that a while back. Could use a few tweaks here and there, but it looks interesting.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

yea i posted a link. and got mobbed and made fun of. lol well if u really look at it. it looks pretty rediculous
christoleher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

i saw it on there site thought id share it since theres alot of shafty lovers here
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I kinda like it. I just wish they had a price.
speedsport22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Looks good. Too bad PTI axles are crap
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulaVW69
Yeah, we need a manufacturer to step up and make a decent set of gears for this POS instead of a chassis.
overlimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:04 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlimit
Yeah, we need a manufacturer to step up and make a decent set of gears for this POS instead of a chassis.
You two sure love to bash PTI don't you. I've seen it several times in every thread that's posted about the PTI. Here's an idea...if you are so unhappy with the trucks because of the diff, sell them.

ANYTHING can break if its abused enough. You guys wanna guess how many TLT ring and pinions I've blown in the past 2 months? How about how many our group has been through? I know of 3 just yesterday. Should we start bashing Tamiya in every TLT thread?

PTI is well aware of the problem with the diffs, and is working hard to fix it. Keep in mind that there are VERY few gear cutters that are willing to, or even CAN do bevel gear ring and pinions.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:50 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver
You two sure love to bash PTI don't you. I've seen it several times in every thread that's posted about the PTI. Here's an idea...if you are so unhappy with the trucks because of the diff, sell them.

ANYTHING can break if its abused enough. You guys wanna guess how many TLT ring and pinions I've blown in the past 2 months? How about how many our group has been through? I know of 3 just yesterday. Should we start bashing Tamiya in every TLT thread?

PTI is well aware of the problem with the diffs, and is working hard to fix it. Keep in mind that there are VERY few gear cutters that are willing to, or even CAN do bevel gear ring and pinions.
I sure did sell it. I know everything will break sooner (PTI) or later (TLT) but I prefer Later so that's why i called it a POS. Not only are the diffs crap so are the axle housings, I mean come on the holes on one side where the knuckle mounts is bigger than the other, the motor plate is mounted on there with 2 screws that are 5mm long and hold a 2mm aluminum plate onto the tranny so there's about 3mm actually grabbing then i get a half a$$ kit missing a bunch of parts. When i call them to see if they would replace the missing parts and ones that have a manufacturer defect they say: Yes sir well send them to you asap and it's been over a year now. I think that PTI did NOT put enough R&D time into their project or they did on their prototype but didn't follow up on the parts in the kit's that were manufactured from 4 or more different vendors and using on road car parts that were never meant to handle any crawling
Old 10-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

It just looks like a sheetmetal 4-link Diaz made to fit the F350 body to me.

And quoting Gula: I knew the guy who designed and built the PTI chassis. If you're a small group and you want to build something your way, and not spend a ****load of money designing gears or buying Tamiya metal parts, then go ahead and try, and see how much work he did. At least he is attempting to do what nobody else has done. Make a nice small solid axle truck that isn't a complete POS from the start.

Last edited by Crawlerguy851; 10-30-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
and using on road car parts that were never meant to handle any crawling
You think Tamiya designed the TLT-1 for crawling? A stock TLT-1 has about as much center clearance as on road car.

Enough with your PTI bashing and whining, it's time to move on.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:19 PM   #12
K_B
I wanna be Dave

You posted in another thread that you never even ran the PTI before you sold it. You heard the gears were crap, so you sold it. I have a TLT AND the PTI and I've actually driven 'em both. And I can easily say that I haven't run through axle gears any faster with the PTI than the TLT.

Also keep in mind that PTI is a small company and this was their first kit. All the missing part issues have been fixed and this thing was never initially designed to be a crawler. Just a basher. Now they're re-designing it to be more of a crawler. Is the TLT a badass crawler outta the box? Hardly. I like the fact that a small company like PTI is producing an actual truck for the crawler community and they are the only ones doing that right now. Keep in mind that this is a niche market so to actually make money on these things, you gotta cater to the other 80% of the market as well, so it will never be a 100% dedicated crawler...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:19 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Neayeah, he's semi got a point there, when PTI released the crawler type Mini Monster, it still had the stock axles.
Crawlerguy851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

So you had one of the first kits then. Things can and do change with time, it's unfortunate you had a bad experience with them, but I don't see any reason to continually bash them any time someone makes a post. Many others out there really like the trucks, and have not had the same problems.

I have not seen these problems with the currently produced kits, I will acknowledge the somewhat weak diffs, but as I said they are being addressed by PTI.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I think I'm Wasting my time. I really dont think i bashed on every PTI thread out there and when i first bought the truck i thought it was the best out there untill i go the TLT and your right i did own one of the first sets I dont think it was the greatestThe axles looked a bit more scale compared to the TLT ones. I did run it inside my house on the carpet. the ring and pinion slipped a lot, It also had the issue with the dogbones poping which was fixable with the HPI Super Nitro dogbones I Have had very good experience with tamiya and that's why i decided to sell the pti and buy a tlt. second at the time PTI owners were few and far in between. No aftermarket support and no support from the Maker like i just said before i never got my parts from them and really dont care naymore since i sold it. I do like their new chassis that just came out and hopefully they worked out all the bugs. I still think a TLT is a better candidate at being a crawler and you have to spend less money on it. AND i did say that the Goliath was more of a basher in a different post.
Trust me If i had the money for a few machines i would make a crawler or just axles and or use a few different off the shelf parts. Your so right Tamiya might have never designed the TLT to be a crawler but if you ask me it's parts are doing very well at crawling Anyways i'm beating a dead horse here and i'm just gonna drop it.

Last edited by Gula; 10-30-2006 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:36 PM   #16
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Hopefully I didn't sound like too much of a jerk. And you're right it's beating a dead horse. It just bugs me because I've seen quite a few threads where people with no experience or little experience with the truck jump on the bashing bandwagon.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:43 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Your right. No offense taken. I think whoever makes that new chassis did a great job and wish PTI had taken better care of their customers or at least QA'ed their parts a bit better from different vendors or not. Good night everybody
Old 10-30-2006, 04:28 PM   #18
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Your right. No offense taken. I think whoever makes that new chassis did a great job and wish PTI had taken better care of their customers or at least QA'ed their parts a bit better from different vendors or not. Good night everybody
I thought you were going to drop it and quit your whining?
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:34 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I guess not yet, but now i will

Last edited by Gula; 10-30-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Well I have the PTI Goliath. I have to tell you. I have yet to break any gears. I have ran the truck for 7 months now. I have beat the HE** out of it. I'm also running 7 cells, Swamp Dawgs. I have had tires compleatly stuck and been trying to get it out and not even had any thing pop. I have also done some crazy stuff with the truck. I also have one of the first kits. The only thing I changed in the axle was the steel spools. I didn't even shim the gears. You say things will break sooner (PTI) and later (TLT) well every guy in our club has a tlt and they broke things all the time. The only thing I broke on my truck is a rear knuckle from a 5ft fall hitting the left rear tire frist. A lot of people are very impressed with my truck and they cant believe that my truck will take the things I put it through.

Bottum line is, it is all about how you set things up.

There is also no reason to bash this post or PTI. Should us PTI owners start bashing any new TLT chassis that come out because we dont like the TLT.
NO!

It is just plane dumb. We should all be helpfull to one and other. Not bash what truck you run.
speedsport22 is offline   Reply With Quote