Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

View Poll Results: Who thinks they should build a new truck?
take our seuggestions and build a new truck 17 85.00%
Why bother the GRC is good enough 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Who thinks PTI should come out with a new truck/suggestion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Who thinks PTI should come out with a new truck/suggestion

Lets take a poll, maybe get PTI's attention. Who out there thinks PTI needs to take what they have and build a new truck. Im not saying scrap everything and start from scratch but, Get some metal gears cut for the axles, a 12.5" WB some gear reduction on the trans stuff like that. Put up your suggestions. I think PTI can turn the base of the Goliath into something awesome they just need a little help.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Yep, they could take the GRC back to the table, but at the same time I do think they are working hard to improve its performance.

Here are some thoughts...
- machine screws in plastic should be avoided
- GRU is a must
- Lower center of gravity by a tranny like R2 ;)
- chassis could be a bit wider if that's what it takes to get the CG lower
- steering behind the axle would rock

Just some thoughts, will add up if I come up with something.
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
RCC Addict

From my understanding, aren't the gears inside the axles plastic? That should be definitely avoided if thats the case.
PaulEZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
Debunking old stereotypes

I met the guys from PTI last Fall in Chicago at the I-Hobby expo. We were running the new PTI crawler and made some suggestions to them then.
I'm not sure any of them are members here? But since you live in Ill, you could always bend their ear at the I-Hobby Expo show this Fall in Chicago. Come on and run on the RCP course, and meet the people from Traxxas, Pro-line, PTI, etc.
It's One of the largest hobby shows in the country, they're all there. Watch for the RCP post on the I-Hobby Expo.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
K_B
I wanna be Dave

OGMicromonster is the designer of the original MMT version which PTI bought the rights to. And Paul does read these boards and they ARE listening but it will just take some time.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:38 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I like the current truck, no need for a new one. Would just like to see more cool new parts and hop-ups for the truck. The LWB kit is a good start. Also hearing of new trans, and more to come. Look how long the clod has been around? Hop ups are a good thing, new trucks not so much.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:31 PM   #7

I'd like to see them come out with a 12.5" stretch kit
MudHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Last I heard from Paul at PTI when I was ordering some missing parts, he made it sould like the GRC was under a re-design to use a standard battery, and the 12.5" strech kit would be out in just a few weeks. He said that he had a problem with a part and it had to be sent back, not an official word or statement, just the conversation I had with him.
wshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:26 PM   #9
MODERHATER™

Strength would be my request.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetimecrawler View Post
I met the guys from PTI last Fall in Chicago at the I-Hobby expo. We were running the new PTI crawler and made some suggestions to them then.
I'm not sure any of them are members here? But since you live in Ill, you could always bend their ear at the I-Hobby Expo show this Fall in Chicago. Come on and run on the RCP course, and meet the people from Traxxas, Pro-line, PTI, etc.
It's One of the largest hobby shows in the country, they're all there. Watch for the RCP post on the I-Hobby Expo.
RCP won't be attending the I-Hobby expo this year. We will be attending the off road expo here in SoCal Oct 6&7. The two dates are not far enough apart to attend both. Also, as some of you guys know, we lost a big portion of our display last year. We were promised that we would be reimbursed 100% but have been denied totally. That being the case, we decided to attend a bigger show, close to home, with less chance of a major loss.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #11

Default Pti Guys

The Guys at pti are awsome. If you call with a question, the always have the answer, plus the time to anwser it. I think that Is great. I know for a fact that these guys ARE paying attention to this forum so Tell them what you want. A strech kit would be awsome. I also recieved a FRONT battery mount from the factory to try. Anyways let them know! Raped_Ape
Raped_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #12

Default Thank You

First I would like to thank everyone on this thread for the kind words and the support.
We do read this and other forums, your input is very important to us. As a matter of fact many of the changes to our products is a direct result of the input we get from the forums and our customers.

We have been hesitant to talk too much about the products coming and whats under development, because frankly the response to the GRC caught us by surprise and has been a bit overwhelming. Since just about everything in our kit is made here in the US, we have been working 2 and 3 shifts to get parts made to keep up. Over the last several weeks we have caught up, this has allowed us resume working on our new products.

We are a few days away from shipping our 12 " extension kit. We are also few weeks away from releasing our new gear box. We've held off saying anything until we were sure they would hold up. But we have been running them in our comp rigs for awhile now and we have shipped some to other PTI drivers for their evaluation. We're pretty sure they are ready so we'll be shipping as soon as we can.

We have several other products in production and several under development (including a new transmission). I'm hoping you'll keep an eye on our web site for more information... We just found a new webmaster, so if you'll give us a week or so, so he can get up to speed. We'll do a much better job of keeping everyone up to date from the web site.
ptiracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Im realy glad to get 100% confirmation that PTI is watching our suggestions. I think everyone that has given the truck a chance has liked it. My intention on starting this thread was to get PTI's attention and hopefully help design a truck that is the best out there. Im glad to see that PTI is doing some redesign work, when it was stated that a new gear box is in design, is that reffering to the axles? I am assuming this since it is also stated that a new transmission is in the works. A suggestions that I never thought I would say....Ditch the cants... I was a believer that they can be made to work but, after lots of trial and error on my frist GRC I decided on my second to go without the cants and when we designed the "illegal Allien" chassis we elimianted the possibility of using cant, I am amazed at the difference in the truck. Also, consider all new chassis rails instead of just a stretch kit. Even with our 1 off build of the IA chassis water jet cutting was cheap, Im sure if you ordered 100 or more it would prolly only be a couple dollars for a chassis. Just my 2cents
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

if they do, they should toss the plastic ring and pinion and go steel. never gonna stand up to the others until that is done. toss all plastic drivetrain gears. tranny included. then they would be a hot item
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:00 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapegoat View Post
if they do, they should toss the plastic ring and pinion and go steel. never gonna stand up to the others until that is done. toss all plastic drivetrain gears. tranny included. then they would be a hot item
Or at least they should be available as hopups.
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 02:05 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I second the steel axle gears after killing my rear ring gear on the first battery pack today...
Old 07-21-2007, 03:28 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm25x View Post
I second the steel axle gears after killing my rear ring gear on the first battery pack today...
after looking at this comment plus his sig. i don't know about the rest of you but im thinking Wheelie King.
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #18

OK, after reading this thread I'll respond on what I found out about the GRC. I took my truck and for 2 days, about 5 hours a day, bashed the living sh!t out of this truck. It was bent and twisted in every way possible. I ran it through water, sand and mud. Rold it off rocks and got it stuck in some nasty places and tried to strip any gear I could.

In the end..........NOTHING was wrong with it (other than being dirty as hell and getting some crudd in the axles). When I got home I broke the whole truck down and inspected every part and couldn't find anything wrong other than the body (just bought a new one on E-Gay for a few $).

So for you people that talk sh!t about this truck you have no idea. Yeah I know that some parts may come from the factory defective but that goes to say for anything mass produced. If you take your time building this truck and not half @ssing things, it will run with the big dogs (just ask the guy I was with running his $400.00 12.5" TLT that could make it some places I did).
MudHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapegoat View Post
after looking at this comment plus his sig. i don't know about the rest of you but im thinking Wheelie King.
Yeah... wish I would have bought one of those instead.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:01 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I agree mudhead.I have ran my truck hard jamming it and all and never grinded any gears.This truck is as good as any other truck out there if not better in my opinion.Just have to do a few mod .

Last edited by drc323; 07-21-2007 at 05:12 PM.
drc323 is offline   Reply With Quote