Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: tlt axel pinions in goliath axels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #21
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Well, technically, the TLT doesn't use steel gears either It's that cruddy pot metal and I managed to blow through a set of the TLT gears my first time out... I had to shim 'em just like the PTI gears to keep 'em from stripping.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2007, 07:03 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
Well, technically, the TLT doesn't use steel gears either It's that cruddy pot metal and I managed to blow through a set of the TLT gears my first time out... I had to shim 'em just like the PTI gears to keep 'em from stripping.
thats nice . that comment makes this mod even more worthless. makes it like swapping garbage with different garbage. awsome
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:14 PM   #23
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Well, it never hurts to try something different. Neither gears are junk exactly. We're using them for things they weren't really meant for, so you gotta do some mods to make it work. Although, the way things are progressing now, that is becoming less and less the case.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:48 PM   #24

hey i try to help out a little and you people are actin like a**es if you think its worthless then dont post up about it just dont use it. it was a little mod i though i would try if it worked thats good but if not then it dont use it if you want just dont flame me for trying to help out
hazzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:19 PM   #25

and im sorry about the blury pics i have a really old cam that works on taking pics of people but when you try to take close ups of stuff like that it sucks so i will try to get better pics here soon
Old 07-20-2007, 11:06 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

pics would be good, results of testing would be better. I need to buy all new internals for my goliath axles, and if this mod is going to work, I would like to try it as well. and pti axles are not garbage, they just need upgrades. TLT's are pretty much junk unless you put a ton of money into them. I can't wait to get my goliath running again.
evileddy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapegoat View Post
this seems like it won't work very well. even if the pitch was right, using bushings as bearings is not a good mod. all it takes is a good amount of pressure and it will bind. and the ring gear is still plastic, with the right amount of force the steel pinion will strip the plasic ring. doesn't seem like a good investment. but neither are the pti axles anyway. PTI could have atleast put steel gears in there axles like everyone else . my 2 cents
He only used bushings to test fit the pinions. I don't think he plans on leaving them in.

Have you ever ran the PTI axles? If you shim them right (like you're suppose to) they won't strip that easily. Besides it's better to break or strip something easily obtainable and cheap. The PTI ring gear is an Associated part that you can find almost anywhere.

Just thought I'd let you know.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:18 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

RCP Crawlers makes a brass alloy ring and pinion gear set for the TLT. That would be a good alternative to the stock axle pinion... if this mod works. I'm curious to see some results.

I don't put down the mod, I like it when people think outside the box. I've had people tell me something won't work or it can't be done, only for me to prove them wrong (that's one of the reasons I designed the original MMT?). So the more mods the better.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

wow I did not know that you had designed the MMT. that is awesome. I bought the original goliath before the crawler version came out. Like i said, I can't wait to get it running.
evileddy420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazzzy View Post
hey i try to help out a little and you people are actin like a**es if you think its worthless then dont post up about it just dont use it. it was a little mod i though i would try if it worked thats good but if not then it dont use it if you want just dont flame me for trying to help out
hey dude. no offense. i think it is a cool idea that took some good ingenutiy to come with but all im saying is why not use some axles with strong gears. plastic doesn't work very well. plastic against metal will just point out your weak spots. i just want to see how long that plastic ring gear will hold up against that metal pinion. would be better if you just swap them both with metal while you already got them apart. if they come in metal that is. i just havent herd one good thing about pti axles that hasn't been said plus more about wheelie kings. i mostly see people buying pti's because they come with red rocks, which arent that great eather. but whatever. do what you want
grapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:57 PM   #31

i have a set of tlt axels but im waiting for my tuber to get done for it and im using the pti axels for a scaler anyways so im not going to be putting them under alot of stress and i am working on making a metal ring gear fit on the pti spool so once i get it figured out i will post it up 2 but i cant ruin all my susprises yet but like i said i will post it up once i get it to work