Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: GRC12 Pro Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

I don't know. I never really noticed either. But it can't be much further if at all. I thought about doing a behind the axle setup, but I'll wait until I have my links on to see how that's going to work out.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Nice job. I will be watching this build.
speedsport22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Default Build Update

:::UPDATE:::

Well it's that time again. This weekend I made a trip to my In-laws house and milled out a black Delrin skid plate. After figuring out how I was going to do my links I came to the conclusion that I was going to need to triangulate the lower links. The reason being is that when turning the wheels to full lock, if I were to leave the lower links straight, the tires would hit the links and therefore making the amount of steering I have useless. So... I decided that triangulating the links together on the chassis will allow plenty of clearance for the tires. Now on to the photos.

Here you see the skid plate and the transmission. I milled out some pockets for the bottom of the T4 transmission to fit into. This will help lower the CG as much as possible (every little bit helps). Plus the bottom of the transmission isn't quite flat. So this helps. In doing that though the motor would rub on the skid plate. So I also milled out a pocket for the motor the go into as well.

I used a pair of titanium hinge pins to mount the lower links to the skid. This ensures plenty of free movement and a smoother transition from the links to the skid plate on the rocks.

Some Traxxas heavy duty rod ends for the lower links (for all links really).

And a few counter sunk screws through the bottom to mount the transmission. The skid is about 1/4-inch thick, so the screws are sunk well below the surface to make sure they don't get caught or worn down by the rocks.

Well that's it for this update. It's small but there is definitely some good progress being made. With the skid done, i can now draw up the chassis plates and figure out my link lengths.

On a side note, I was thinking... Since my lower links are triangulated, I don't need to triangulate the uppers. So with that in mind I thought maybe I should (or could) do them straight. If I do make the uppers straight then I can make the upper and lower links the exact same length. If they are the same length I think that would help control the angle that the axle sits a lot easier. Any thoughts on that? I made some new upper link mounts that will allow the upper links to be straight. I'll play around with the idea and let you know what I come up with (or decide). Any input or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Until next time...

Last edited by OGmicromonster; 08-06-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:34 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

I found this thread helpful. It's focus is one squat/antisquat, but there is some discussion on link triangulation. Anti Squat and Suspension Tech

A search in www.pirate4x4.com might help as well.

Who am I to make suggestions. I went the easy route (torsion). It sure was easy to set up the behind the axle steering.

The truck is looking great. Any luck on finding metal diff gears.
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:38 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Rig looks nice but good luck with that micro servo holding up on the dig setup.
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:49 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

I have a set of delrin gears coming from HK. They should arrive in a couple days. Have to see how they hold up .
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:04 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomik View Post
I have a set of delrin gears coming from HK. They should arrive in a couple days. Have to see how they hold up .
How much were the gears?
kawika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:49 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Three sets shipped $23,72 total.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocresq View Post
Rig looks nice but good luck with that micro servo holding up on the dig setup.
I think it will be fine. We'll see. If not I'll just replace it with a different one.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Three sets shipped $23,72 total.
Where did you order them from? And who makes them? I know GPM makes some but they are out of stock.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

From GPM. I just sent them email and asked. At first they responded they are out of stock, but a couple weeks later I received an email in which they said they have found three sets from their warehouse .

They also said that they could produce them, but the minimum order is 100 sets.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika View Post
I found this thread helpful. It's focus is one squat/antisquat, but there is some discussion on link triangulation. Anti Squat and Suspension Tech

A search in www.pirate4x4.com might help as well.

Who am I to make suggestions. I went the easy route (torsion). It sure was easy to set up the behind the axle steering.

The truck is looking great. Any luck on finding metal diff gears.
Thanks, I'll give that a read through.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
From GPM. I just sent them email and asked. At first they responded they are out of stock, but a couple weeks later I received an email in which they said they have found three sets from their warehouse .

They also said that they could produce them, but the minimum order is 100 sets.
Yeah, that's what I was told too. I'll see if I can get a set from them. If they still have two of the three sets.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:54 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Default Build Update

:::UPDATE:::

Here I am again with a small update. I decided to swap out the stock out-drive cups along with my adapters, and my unreliable method of locking the T4 differential, with a Taylor Hobbies Stealth locker.

After prepping the gear, the diff locker installed without a hitch.

The only downside to this setup (for my build) is now the out-drives shafts are shorter. But I don't think that will affect anything. We'll see.

Well that's it... short and simple. I figured out what I'm going to do about my upper link mounts on the axles. I'm going to go with the straight upper links. I don't have the right screws to mount my brackets, so I'll need to make a stop at the LHS to get the screws and nuts I need. Until then, you'll just have to wait.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Also found a Stealth tranny today... Hope I can get it .

Pics of Delrin gears here: Delrin Ring-n-Pinion for PTI axles.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #36
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

looks good man becareful with that crawlmaster it will bite you here is the proof i hate my crawlmaster and mamba max
after seeing drc323's this weekend i think i need one

Last edited by chip cross; 08-07-2007 at 10:54 AM.
chip cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Just to let you know, this project isn't dead. I've sent my chassis drawings to be cut out Monday so I should get some parts by the end of the week.

Also my idea of using parallel upper links isn't going to work so I'm going back to my original mounting method you see in the photos. That's about it for now, I'll post some photos and more progress as soon as I get my parts.

Oh and I've also been working out my dig brake setup. I saw this thread and decided to see if I can get a similar setup to work on my build. So I started brain storming. I drew up some parts and will machine a few hopefully this weekend.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:08 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Looks great so far!!! Waitin for more updates!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:34 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Okay, so I got my chassis plates cut and now I just need to make some links and cross members. I'll post up some details and photos when it cools down a bit. It's too hot to work in the garage when it's 100-110ºF outside.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmicromonster View Post
Okay, so I got my chassis plates cut and now I just need to make some links and cross members. I'll post up some details and photos when it cools down a bit. It's too hot to work in the garage when it's 100-110ºF outside.
ANymore progresss? Pics?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote