Notices

Thread: GRC12 Pro Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 07:46 PM   #41
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
ANymore progresss? Pics?
It's cooled down enough to go work in the garage (it's been 100ºF and up the last week or so with temps reaching as high as 115ºF). So this weekend I'll be finishing this project up. I've been working late hours this week so I'll post some photos tomorrow of what I have so far. I do have my chassis plates and mounted them. So far it looks like the geometry of the suspension is going to work. We'll see.
OGmicromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

lmao I thought i was the only one stuck in the garage to work in the heat.Sounds like it comming along nice ogCant wait to see the pics
drc323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

Default :::update::::

:::UPDATE TIME!:::

Yay! It's time for another update. Finally it has cooled down enough around here to get back in the garage to try to finish up this build. Well as mentioned before I got my chassis plates back from being cut out so I put my chassis together and mounted my shocks. All I have left to do now is build my links and finish the dig setup (if I have time - I might push this off until after the next comp). On to the photos!

First thing I needed to do was build myself a jig. This was so I could get my wheel base set to measure my links. It also ensured things would stay straight.

Once I had my axles set in the jig and the chassis mounted I was able to attach my shocks.

Here are some more shots of the chassis. You can see the top plate where my electronics will be mounted.

I also got some RC4WD.com aluminum beadlocks with center caps. I also have a set of Losi Claw Dawgs and Kreepy Krawler red inserts to mount up.

That's about it. Next, are the links. I built some, but the tread size (6-32) is too small for the rod ends I want to use. So I think I'll be going to the LHS to get some carbon fiber tube and larger all-thread to make some links. We'll see how those work out. Until then... let the comments and questions flow.

Last edited by OGmicromonster; 09-12-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:03 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Wow nice og That truck going to be sick when it done
Old 09-12-2007, 05:46 AM   #45

You should think about selling those servo/ link mount plates, those things look sick! Looks like it pulled the servo back a little too, i like that. If you had any extras cut, i'd gladly buy a set.
90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90xj View Post
You should think about selling those servo/ link mount plates, those things look sick! Looks like it pulled the servo back a little too, i like that. If you had any extras cut, i'd gladly buy a set.
Yeah it did pull the servo back quite a bit. Almost 1/2-inch from the stock setup. My steering knuckle extenders also allows for a much tighter turning radius. I'm excited to see how it performs on the rocks.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90xj View Post
You should think about selling those servo/ link mount plates, those things look sick! Looks like it pulled the servo back a little too, i like that....
X2 and looks great. Need action pics.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X2 and looks great. Need action pics.
I'll get some action shots and hopefully some video as soon as it's running.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:48 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Looking good OG. Moving the servo back helps tremendously with steering throw and authority. Cant wait to see this one finished.
aggressivellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:15 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

I got half the links done and mounted (the rear). I'll try to finish up the front end and post some photos tonight. I plan on having this thing done before the weekend so I can do some testing before the competition next weekend. If all goes well you'll see this rig running by Sunday.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:28 AM   #51
RCC Addict

That thing is looking really nice, Dave. The shock mounting holes remind me of the Bender chassis. I hope it works well for you.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Thanks. I had to change the way the shocks mounted though. They were binding with that setup. You'll see in the photos when I post them up in a little bit.

I'm off to install my electronics and get this thing moving.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:44 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

Default :::update:::

::: UPDATE :::

Here is yet another update for this rig. Finally it's standing on its own four wheels. Here are the photos.

The links are done and the rod ends are threaded on. These are solid 1/4" aluminum rods with 6-32 stainless steel threads on the ends. They are held in with some locktite and won't come loose at all. The lowers are the ones on top with the Proline heavy duty maxx rod ends and the uppers are ready for their rod ends (same as the lowers).

Here they are bolted to the axles and chassis. Check out the low profile of the chassis.

Front and rear axle shots. See how I changed the shock mounts? This allows the suspension to move a lot more loosely.

Bottom view.

Top view.

My electronics are going to be mounted under the top chassis plate to help keep the CG nice and low.

The above photo can be deceiving, there is plenty of room for my Mamba Max ESC and Spektrum Pro receiver.

I also have a Mamba 25 ESC that I'm debating whether or not to use instead of the Mamba Max. What's your guys opinion? I've installed the electronics already, I just haven't taken photos yet. I am having a little bit of an issue too. My motor makes a beeping sound and seems to lock up instead of rotate when giving throttle. I'll need to check this out further before I get some action shots. Until next time...
Old 09-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Default ::: Update :::

::: UPDATE :::

Well... I made it. The comp I wanted to run this new build at is tomorrow. I'll be competing with it at the SoCal RC Rock Crawlers round 2 of their winter series in Cougar Buttes. This update will be the last update for the build (until I get my dig setup working the way I want it to). Any other updates will be action photos and video. I'm taking my camera with me tomorrow so I'll have my friend take some photos of it during the comp.

Well on to the photos.

Here it is with a fresh coat of paint. It's a dark pearl purple with holographic flakes (they're multicolored flakes that change colors in the sun). As you can see, I painted a matching stand for it too.

Here's the stand by itself. It's Prolines Lexan car stand.

You can kinda see the holographic flakes under the rear window in this shot. I'll get some in the sun so you can really see it in its full glory.

Textured bedliner spray

Here you can see the full throw of the steering. By the way, this modded steering setup is 100 times better than the original steering. The turning radius was cut down almost by half!

It's tight in there but the ESC and receiver both fit under the upper plate.

And one shot just as the sun went down in some rocks outside the office.

I'll try to post some photos of it in action Sunday. Let me know your thoughts. All comments and suggested changes welcome.
Old 09-22-2007, 12:36 AM   #55
RCC Addict

That looks really capable. Do us proud at the comp!

Let me know how those steering extenders work. I might need a set for mine.
Skeeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeno View Post
That looks really capable. Do us proud at the comp!

Let me know how those steering extenders work. I might need a set for mine.
The steering extenders worked extremely well. I'm going to make a few more sets for my other truck and father-in-laws truck. I'll consider making a set for you too. Dom had an opportunity to drive it with the extenders and he really liked them too. I have some photos I took at the comp. I did a lot better than I had in the past. This new rig really handles well. There are a few things I want to change to make it work even better. I'll post up some changes and updates soon.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Here are a few more pictures I took yesterday at the comp.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #58
RCC Addict

I saw this rig close up yesterday. Beautiful work.
PaulEZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Nice dave that truck really come out nice.How much clearance it has over the pti chassis?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:42 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Thanks Paul.

This chassis has about the same ground clearance, but a much lower CG. It's much more stable and predictable.