Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: PTI MMT (Goliath)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default PTI MMT (Goliath)

Anybody else got a PTI MMT and have it built? I got mine a week ago and had it out and running around today. It's a reasonably capable crawler out of the box, with a gearing change and a servo relocation it could be real capable. Here's a pic of mine;

David
Davkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

nope, but i plan on getting one, i hear its much better then the TLT
pinkfloydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:39 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

nah TLTs with bulu 2s would whip it i bet but its awesome stock
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

looks good, i like the claw dawgs.
Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:54 PM   #5

Default Pti Mmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkin
Anybody else got a PTI MMT and have it built? I got mine a week ago and had it out and running around today. It's a reasonably capable crawler out of the box, with a gearing change and a servo relocation it could be real capable. Here's a pic of mine;

David
the price is ridiculous for the size and plus the fact that it's a kit, I'm not going to get 1!
wslytoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

ya it still needs work 2" GC 8" long lol my TLT Would go over that
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

actaully its much better in fact, think about what your getitng! 2.2s a gear tranny better GC, i mean plus what you think is expensive, if you want your TLT capable, you have to swap trannies (100bucks for a roller) and then 2.2s plus other stuff.....this is deff my choice
Old 04-09-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

what are the axle gears made out of? and how durable do you think the truck is.
oh yea, does it have ball diffs? did you lock them

Last edited by yoda316; 04-09-2005 at 07:28 PM.
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:15 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

gear diffs......i think, im not too sure ill go check
Old 04-09-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
nah TLTs with bulu 2s would whip it i bet but its awesome stock
That may be true, but this thing crawls nearly as good as my modded TLT, I don't have a BULU, but I spent enough money and time on the thing. My PTI is bone stock right now, I haven't modded or upgraded anything.

Quote:
ya it still needs work 2" GC 8" long lol my TLT Would go over that
Only if your TLT is very heavily modded. Remember my PTI is totally stock. If your TLT has more GC it must have a BULU or similar chassis and a Stampede tranny. Even with 5" tires my TLT has slightly less GC than this stock PTI.

Quote:
Yea, price is a little steep, but i mean look what your getting, it comes with a motor, nicer shocks then the TLT, 2.2 tires and rims stock, and mainly other things i don't kow about
Yes, you get a lot. I definately spent more modding my TLT. However, the way it's designed would make it difficult to upscale it to 1/10. It uses CVD's for the drive shafts, not sure what could be done to replace them for a longer wheelbase.

Quote:
a gear tranny better GC
Actually, kinda. This is where there's a bit of a limitation with the PTI. Unless you call a spur gear a tranny it really has none, it's direct drive from the motor to the center spur. This could be a limitation to upscaling to 1/10 with larger tires, you might have to install a trans or somehow add an intermediate gearset.

Quote:
what are the axle gears made out of?

Plastic, but it appears to be a hard nylon, I'm not worried about them, though if you upscale it to a 1/10 and you make it heavy it may be a problem, but those pot metal bevel gears in the TLT aren't all that durable either. The diffs are actually TC3 diffs.

Quote:
and how durable do you think the truck is.
I think it would pretty much handle anything. I've only put about 20 minutes on it so far and haven't driven it over anything real aggressive but I have hit a few obstacles with no issues.

Quote:
oh yea, does it have ball diffs? did you lock them
Yes, it has ball diffs. So far that doesn't seem to be an issue, I'm real suprised. I've crawled up and over curbs without a loss of traction. I beleive the diffs could be replaced with TC3 spools, or just drill holes though the outdrives and put screws in them, like many people do with the TLT center diff. I'm not sure yet that locking the diffs is even necessary.

Out of the box the biggest limitations for crawling are the need to get more gearing, (a bigger spur and smaller pinion should help a lot.) and that the front skid plate sticks out farther than the tires, so you have to be vert careful how you approach things.

David
Old 04-10-2005, 12:14 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Default Looks Good

Hi, You got me looking, could you hook us up with some more Pics? Like the tranny, axles, CVD- Driveshafts, etc.... Closeups Please!
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 11:10 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Hi, You got me looking, could you hook us up with some more Pics? Like the tranny, axles, CVD- Driveshafts, etc.... Closeups Please
I'll try to do that later today. For now here is an overall shot of of the chassis, though it's a bit dark.

Quote:
Well, aren't they MIP CVD's?
They appear to be.

Quote:
I mean MIP makes a TON of CVD's for a ton of different rides, there has to be some that would work,
If this CVD is made by MIP, I'm pretty sure at least part of it was custom made for PTI. I'm pretty sure there is nothing in the MIP catalog for a pinion, all their CVD's are for wheels, right? I'd guess other than the shaft that holds the pinion the rest of the CVP parts are standard MIP parts. So, I suppose you could find a longer drive shaft and assemble it to the non-standard pinion shaft. The drive shaft is about 2.15" from the center of the dogbone end to the center of the pin that holds the other end together. I'm not sure how much longer other CVD's might be. Just to match my TLT's modded wheelbase of 11" would take drive shafts that are about 1 1/2" longer, so at least 3 1/2" CVD, that seems unlikely, at least I'd imagine it wouldn't be the same size to fit the other parts. Something that long I'd image would be bigger and beefier, since it would be for something large and heavy like a nitro monster truck.

David
Old 04-10-2005, 03:28 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Okay, here are some closeups;

Old 04-10-2005, 04:11 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Wow! It got release finally! Thats pretty awesome. I think it will be a matter of parts availability that decides if the TLT or this is better. I imagine they'll come out quite evenly matched though. I think the PTI is definately a good bang for the buck truck, I mean, like you said, you'd have to spend about $80 just to get a TLT in crawling condition, which is about how much this truck is. What kind of differential is in the center? I have two of these spools for a TC3 that are just sitting in a tool box, and if the truck uses these, I might be able to sell them finally.

Can you measure from drive hex to drive hex so I can know how wide the axles are? And whats the stock wheelbase?
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:10 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
, it looks like a T-maxx rear would bolt right up to everything, but it looks that way,
The CVD cup measures about .43" outside diameter. Do you know what one for a T-maxx measures? How about the length?

Quote:
I mean, like you said, you'd have to spend about $80 just to get a TLT in crawling condition
I wish that's all it cost me! Links+dogbones+wheels+tires+shocks put it to at least $120, and that's not counting the stuff I ruined or bought and didn't need from the trial and error process.

Quote:
What kind of differential is in the center?
There is no center diff, the spur is pinned to the outdrives.

Quote:
I have two of these spools for a TC3 that are just sitting in a tool box, and if the truck uses these, I might be able to sell them finally.
Put them up on ebay now and advertise them as being for the PTI truck

David
Old 04-10-2005, 11:30 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Default Thanks Davkin!

Hey thanks for the Pics! I can't wait to see it in action.
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:16 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

i like those axels, with out the servo on the front i bet the are pretty scale looking
Frkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:18 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Sorry, I meant what kind of differential is in the axles? Thats where those spools go on a TC3 anyway.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

it would be very easy to mount the servo on top of the axle. The axle has 4 holes ready to go. make a little servo plate and some blocks and your done.

the bottom of the axles need some shaving though, not round at all.
sicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:13 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Its a pity that servo plate werent metal, you could just bend it up and your servo would be on top of the axle
perfictsib is offline   Reply With Quote