Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: PTI Goliath probs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 12:43 PM   #1

Default PTI Goliath probs?

I was thinking about getting a Goliath to play with since my wheely king has gotten out of control and was wandering what kind of issues are most common with this little crawler? I have all the other parts needed to finish one from upgrades to the king...45t lathe, high tq servo, esc, and radio but didn't know if it would do well to toy with out of the box..so to speak since this is a kit and out of the box is just a pile of parts..
Logger

Last edited by RENEGADELOGGER; 10-30-2007 at 06:21 AM.
RENEGADELOGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #2

I was also thinking about starting out with the Goliath, but I went with the Ax10... You have to do so much to the goliath to get it to crawl just my .2 cents.... The ax10 is my first crawler and i think its a great starter rig!
savagecrawler08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
K_B
I wanna be Dave

There is alot you have to do to make it a competition level crawler.

The only major issues to deal with is the lack of a tranny, which can be resolved by installing either a GD-600 or an RC4WD gear reduction unit. The diffs need to be shimmed properly as well. There is also some play in the output shaft carrier bearing that needs to be shimned as well, but supposedly, newer kits have better tolerances in the axle cases.

This truck has the stigma of weak diff gears, but when properly shimmed, they're fine. I've been beating the hell outta mine and it's still going strong.

Read through a few posts on the first page and you'll see all of the issues and what needs to be done to fix 'em.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #4

Got a Goliath as my first crawler. Never even heard of them until I saw and advert in the Sept. edition of RCaction but loved the look of it so much I had to get one.

In my opinion they are the coolest looking truck out of the box compared to teh others and as people have said a few cheap mods any they will crawl all day. Otherwise leave as is and they are an awesome trail truck.

Most people dislike the stock red rock tyres but I love them. Not entering any comps myself and they appear to work muck better on the terrain I run on than the highly regarded moabs.

These days everyone is running Wheely Kings and Ax10's. Good to be different I reckon. Another plus is they are super basic mechanically (a good thing) and use a lot of generic parts from other manufacturers so replacements are easy to find.
fetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:37 AM   #5

I have a buddy with an ax10, we crawled some last weekend to compare notes between my king and the ax10. His was pretty much stock other than the air soft bb's filling the front tires and some in the rear. They were pretty close but the weighted tires did make a difference. I just like the looks of the PTI and thought I might try to leave this one basically stock, cept for the needed fixes.
Logger
RENEGADELOGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have a bone stock GRC and 1 that I have modded and "fixed" the problems on. I have beat the living crap out of mine, dropped them down cliffs (20'+) ran them in mud and water, basically anything you could do to abuse them I have done. So far I stripped 1 axle gear because I screwed up assembly, stripped out 1 spur because the motor plate flexed and snapped 1 axle dogbone (again because I used too long of a screw in the shock mount) If you build it properly its a dang good truck.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 01:02 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

the only issue i experenced while building mine was the crappy way of mounting the stock lower pushrods. they require you to glue a nut on the inside of the axle and its a general pain in the ass to get perfect. other then that, theyre good trucks.

id aslo like to add that u can get Team Associated TC3 spools to replace the differentials. they fit with minor mods, such as having to trim the output yokes down about 4mm and reslotting them to accept the stock dogbones. i installed a set of lockers in my own axles... all i need is a project to put them in (or a buyer)
julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 10:49 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie View Post

id aslo like to add that u can get Team Associated TC3 spools to replace the differentials. they fit with minor mods, such as having to trim the output yokes down about 4mm and reslotting them to accept the stock dogbones. i installed a set of lockers in my own axles... all i need is a project to put them in (or a buyer)

You can just get spools from PTI, same price a tc3 and require no mods (grc comes with them actually)
and if the price is right Ill take those off your hands (I need 1 for a scale drag truck project...the pti's are so easy to narrow)
Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

i bought them before pti was offering spools. ive had the spools and axles for over a year before i fitted them... pm me if youre interested
julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #10

Lots and lots of extra work to get it working as it should out of the box let alone getting it to competition level. It is cool and it works well but it is definitly for someone who likes to tinker. I hate to say it but I heard the Scorpion from Axial is a smooth kit and a good crawler if you are tired with hassling with things.

I dont want to put down Goliath because it is a good truck but it does have its problems, people need to be aware I think.

Aloha!
easyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:00 AM   #11

I might be wrong but doesnt Goliath use TC3 spools anyway? It uses something from the TC3 I know that LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
You can just get spools from PTI, same price a tc3 and require no mods (grc comes with them actually)
and if the price is right Ill take those off your hands (I need 1 for a scale drag truck project...the pti's are so easy to narrow)
Old 11-08-2007, 01:13 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Lets not forget the very weak stock wheel drive hollow roll pins. Mine lasted just 2 packs! A simple fix, but what were they thinking?
NWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

technically it doesnt "use" any tc parts. However, PTI did copy the designs which means you can use TC3/4 parts to fix the truck. I have found that the only thing I couldnt replace with off the shelf parts where, the axle cases and transmission case...everything else is available at your local hobby shop (if its a good 1)
Old 11-13-2007, 07:05 PM   #14

True true, I should just be quiet. I am new at this stuff. I know enough to get me in to lots of trouble. The local hobby shops love it when I come in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
technically it doesnt "use" any tc parts. However, PTI did copy the designs which means you can use TC3/4 parts to fix the truck. I have found that the only thing I couldnt replace with off the shelf parts where, the axle cases and transmission case...everything else is available at your local hobby shop (if its a good 1)