Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: PTI Can you give update on GRU!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007, 12:10 AM   #1

Thumbs up PTI Can you give update on GRU!?!

Hey PTI guy(s), I know you are watchin! Can you give us an update on when we might see the GRU?

Thanks!!!
easyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #2

Thumbs up News From PTI

Hey all,

I wrote PTI an email and got a response today . Below is the string:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Performance Technologies Inc wrote:
Sorry.... we had to re make a part we are cutting new ones today... we
should have GRU's in the next few days
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 02, 2007 8:59 PM
To: info@ptiracing.net
Subject: Gear Reduction anyone?
Importance: High

Hey guys... You are killing me... we going to see that GRU soon? Please?
Aloha,
M
__________ NOD32 2635 (20071102) Information __________
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrabbit View Post
Hey PTI guy(s), I know you are watchin! Can you give us an update on when we might see the GRU?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 07:23 PM   #3

Default GRU Shipping

Hey All,

I just got word that the GRU will be shipping tomorrow 11/14/07. As you know if there were a store front I would be one of those morons standing in line at 11:59pm to get mine.

Aloha!
Old 11-13-2007, 07:29 PM   #4
RCC Addict

howcome they arent on their website!!!!!!!!!
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #5

The guy said it would be posted tonight and on the site tomorrow morning. We shall see...
Old 11-14-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Looking forward to getting a GRU, and I like the idea that there it no major mods just to fit one in.
Mud Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:08 PM   #7

Lightbulb Gru Released!

OK, it is on their site for a big 74$, 89$ after shipping. This thing better work and work well!!!

Will give an update once I have had a chance to test this sucker out.

Aloha!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #8

Exclamation

This is the one thing that worries me. I'm sure it will work great. However with all the modifications each person has done to their individual GRC's it may not just "fit" in. I have not done anything to that area of the truck (except some shimming) so that is exactly what I am expecting but still will not hold my breath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Monkey View Post
Looking forward to getting a GRU, and I like the idea that there it no major mods just to fit one in.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ive been a big supporter of PTI and the GRC but, ARE THEY NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!! For that kind of cash you can replace the whole transmission. Or go with a GD600 for $12 and trim off the bottom of it. Im afraid PTI might just put themselves out of buissness.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
K_B
I wanna be Dave

That's certainly spendy. You could put a tranny in there for cheaper, but you'd have to fab up a new skid to mount the tranny and such, which will also make the chassis wider, so new crossmembers would be in order too. Not that labor intensive, but some people don't like doing that stuff. And an RC4WD GRU is a bolt-up, but without the updated motor plate, once again, you have to fab something up to hold the gearbox in place to keep the motor plate from flexing. I am surprised that the new motor plate is fabbed out of expensive CF rather than alloy.

It seems to me that all these running changes and upgrades that PTI is releasing will probably end up as a whole new kit at some point. Although a "real" tranny with the motor lower would be nice.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 03:20 PM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

That is just an inline reduction for a plane, even has the 4mm shaft still.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
RCC Addict

THATS RIDICULOUS!!!!
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:13 PM   #13

Unhappy

In the beginning I just wanted a kit, something to work on with a little challange here and there, no problem. Saw the review and that is exactly what was said, little custom fitting but once it is together it rocks. I was not in the mood to go through the process of building a full crawler, making mods and special cuts and this and that... If I was, I would have done something totally different. I do not think PTI fully appreciated the target audience they obviously were going after with this truck. They just fed off the success of the original Goliath's strength as a crawler and hoped no one would notice.

Axail certainly knew who their target audience was and I'm impressed so far. I just took it out of the box and checked out the manual and already know this is what I was looking for in the Goliath.

It is sad and I have said it many times, Goliath IS a decent truck but not for what it is being sold as. Going to keep the GRC. Going to install that expensive freakin GRU. Going to bash the hell out of things with it too. But when it breaks it will go to the end of the line of things getting fixed.

LOL... Insanity... oh almost certain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
That's certainly spendy. You could put a tranny in there for cheaper, but you'd have to fab up a new skid to mount the tranny and such, which will also make the chassis wider, so new crossmembers would be in order too. Not that labor intensive, but some people don't like doing that stuff. And an RC4WD GRU is a bolt-up, but without the updated motor plate, once again, you have to fab something up to hold the gearbox in place to keep the motor plate from flexing. I am surprised that the new motor plate is fabbed out of expensive CF rather than alloy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post

It seems to me that all these running changes and upgrades that PTI is releasing will probably end up as a whole new kit at some point. Although a "real" tranny with the motor lower would be nice.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:20 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I have been waiting for the GRU since I don't have much time for mods. I am very disapointed. I am tempted to scrap my GRC and just use the axles.
navycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote