Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Tamiya DF-03ra or Traxxas Rally?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 07:56 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question Tamiya DF-03ra or Traxxas Rally?

I'm looking for a capable rig for asphalt acrobatics AND light off-road (with the obligatory suspension and tire changes)...
I've narrowed it down to these two platforms. I know they are different scales, but tire and motor size is the same, so I've grouped em together.. What do you guys recommend?

Thanx in advance..
the_ghetto_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Gettin’ back on the horse

Well I love the df03ra its really durable and handles off road abuse well. its pretty hard to break, but does need some diff maintenance after a little bit, parts can be had but mostly from Japan through ebay or tamiya usa. There are also quite a few wrc styled bodied options for the dfo3ra, which is a big selling point for me and more importantly, just about every generation of Subaru Impreza. The DF03ra is also a pretty heavy platform and because of where the weight is located its not a great drift platform, but handles really well in rough conditions.

For the Traxxas its the same basic platform as all the other 1/16th scale vehicles Traxxas currently has. It has great parts support at just about every hobby shop you go into. However there are not as many body options and I have read its not recommended for off road use. I have seen a few but do not have this platform as of yet.

Hope this helps.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
Jer
Rock Crawler

I just converted my 1/16th slash to a rally. If you remove the shock travel limiters you can gain some height from the car. A stock rally doesn't have much ground clearance, they really should have called it a drifter or gymkhana. The body situation kinda sucks, haven't come across many bodies yet. I like my rally but have yet to find some offroad to drive it on but I would imagine it would be ok after the mod. If you are willing to clip springs for a lower ride height than a slash/revo/summit there are quite a few different springs available to tune the suspension coupled with different weight oil in the shocks. the dfo3ra's have some pretty neat vids on youtube. Maybe root around there and see what others have done to each. I'd love to get a dfo3ra simply for body selection.
Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanx for the feedback so far guys..
I will continue my research and the vids I've seen of the df-03 really make me lean in that direction...plus sporting a Lancia Integrale body! (drool )
Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I saw a video on YouTube of the Traxxas Rally on dirt, it handled pretty well. It was the KB edition but still, basically the same.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:33 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I just picked up a DF03RA to match my dad's recently built one. I can't recommend these cars enough- they're a ton of fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pffPS_RgAhw
.bg. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I just finished my DF03Ra, working on finishing upo the body. and planning on taking it on it's maiden voyage in the dirt this weekend. From the build it looks very nice. I have ordered a few upgrade. Aluminum Rear Shock Tower, Carbon Front Shock Tower, and a slipper. Wsaiting to see how it works before I settle on some upgraed shocks.
neillarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Bodies for Tamiya M-models are close to the measurements of the 1/16 Traxxas Rally and 1/16 Slash. Wheelbase almost the same, but bodies are like 10 mm too narrow for the stock width of the Traxxas.
KuJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

@.bg.: Your video convinced me!
I'm sold on the df-03....now to scrape some cash together