Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Turtle's Modified DF03ra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #41
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: Turtle's Modified DF03ra

That is really strange. I have had to replace a couple bearings because of rust from running in rain, snow, and mud, but never did they break. Might want to send an email to Tamiya and let them know the issue, maybe you will get some bearings out of the deal.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #42
Pebble Pounder

I've tried a few batteries this past weekend with the new rubber sealed bearings. It is just fine. Only one change btw that might or not had influenced in cracking those bearings: This time, I'd closed the top front gearbox cover a little bit on the loose side, to the point of almost having a lost screw. Next time, gonna screw it a bit tighter to see what happens.

I was reading your other topic again, the TB-01 and also checked a picture of that rally track you run, its pretty tight in there isnt it? Do you have any vids of some of your weekend races there? I'm quite curious how both DF03ra and TB-01 handle those tight corners powered by that monster brushless motors of yours. Oh btw, how did you managed to "fix" that DF-03's lousy steering play? One last question today I promise, what is a shrink wrap? I got my steering tangled this weekend by a small rock and remembered your solution, but having never seen such a product before, I can't translate it to any languages that I speak.

Cheers

Last edited by stormridersp; 02-13-2012 at 05:39 PM.
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #43

Nice car. Just wondering, what kind of track do you run it on?
sc10 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
I've tried a few batteries this past weekend with the new rubber sealed bearings. It is just fine. Only one change btw that might or not had influenced in cracking those bearings: This time, I'd closed the top front gearbox cover a little bit on the loose side, to the point of almost having a lost screw. Next time, gonna screw it a bit tighter to see what happens.

I was reading your other topic again, the TB-01 and also checked a picture of that rally track you run, its pretty tight in there isnt it? Do you have any vids of some of your weekend races there? I'm quite curious how both DF03ra and TB-01 handle those tight corners powered by that monster brushless motors of yours. Oh btw, how did you managed to "fix" that DF-03's lousy steering play? One last question today I promise, what is a shrink wrap? I got my steering tangled this weekend by a small rock and remembered your solution, but having never seen such a product before, I can't translate it to any languages that I speak.

Cheers
Sorry I thought I responded a while ago to this.
The cars handle the corners really well, the TB01 a little better because they have more steering. My general driving style is to slide through the corners, so with the tight track that method works pretty well. There are a couple videos I know of.
Here is one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=GXg61seb6Cw

This thread and this thread both have tons of photos of the track too.
Colorado Rally Championship 2012

Interest in Rally?

As for the steering slop I have never really addressed the issue it never bothered me enough to do anything about it.

Shrink Wrap is put around connections to keep the metal from being exposed. Here is some.

TowerHobbies.com | 939 Dubro Heat Shrink Tubing Set 3/16" (

It is pictured here with these plugs.
TowerHobbies.com | 1302 W.S. Deans Male Ultra Plug (2)

Tower calls it shrink tubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc10 man View Post
Nice car. Just wondering, what kind of track do you run it on?
This is the main track we run.

Tons more photos in the Colorado section in the threads I posted above.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 AM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Nice rally track man, really nice indeed! I checked the pictures and the video. Would have loved to been part of it too!

cheers
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #46
rik
RCC Addict

Thank you for this great thread. I just built a df03ra, and want to upgrade some stuff. This has definitely helped me a lot...
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #47
Pebble Pounder

here is my rally, had fun building it and it is sooo fast (brushless), installed the one way diff and installed hpi mesh wheels and laced them with tamiya rally blocks.
kmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Hey Turtle, I saw you feature article on rally in RC Driver (thinks that's the one it was in). Well done! I hope to build a track this summer or at least get started on one. Thanks for documenting what you've done. some of the info in the article on track construction was really helpful. I don't know that I could generate enough interest to have so many classes but the beauty of my situation is that I have 4 boys so they drive what ever I get them so I get to create my own class. It will probably be stock DF03ra to start, upgrades are brutal when it's multiplied by 4.
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #49

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
Hey Turtle, I saw you feature article on rally in RC Driver (thinks that's the one it was in). Well done! I hope to build a track this summer or at least get started on one. Thanks for documenting what you've done. some of the info in the article on track construction was really helpful. I don't know that I could generate enough interest to have so many classes but the beauty of my situation is that I have 4 boys so they drive what ever I get them so I get to create my own class. It will probably be stock DF03ra to start, upgrades are brutal when it's multiplied by 4.
My pleasure. Honestly we don't have a ton of interest in most of the classes. The two that generate the most interest are 10th scale Open Rally and Open Mini trophy truck. Those two classes have anywhere from 10-20 guys in them, but Dakar and 1/8th Open rally there are only 2-5 guys in those. I have vehicles of course for all four classes though.

Good luck with the finances!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Hey Turtle, me again, with another noob question.

I was reading the RC driver article again & noticed in the Dakar class that you had added for the DF01 chassis because, from what I could tell, it was outperforming the DF03ra chassis.

If I were making my own track & racing with my kids, i.e. no pressure to start any particular class, why would you go with a DF03ra chassis over the DF01? I noticed wheelbase was different.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post
Hey Turtle, me again, with another noob question.

I was reading the RC driver article again & noticed in the Dakar class that you had added for the DF01 chassis because, from what I could tell, it was outperforming the DF03ra chassis.

If I were making my own track & racing with my kids, i.e. no pressure to start any particular class, why would you go with a DF03ra chassis over the DF01? I noticed wheelbase was different.
The Dakar class is for SUV vehicles with longer wheelbases and bigger tires. The DF03RA is a rally car, lower to the ground, smaller tires and a smaller wheelbase. The DF03RA is also just a better car then the DF01.

All this for me started with the DF03RA, it needs a more groomed track then a DF01, but the scale appeal and handling of the rally cars is what it is all about for me.

The DF01 didn't necessarily handle better, but it had way more ground clearance and larger tires, allowing it to handle bumps and ruts better then the lower and smaller tired rally cars. Other then that the DF03RA is a better car.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the clarification. I think the DF03ra is what I'm wanting for the same reasons.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

so now you put that tamiya xv-01 carrot out there.... any thoughts on how it will compare to the DF03ra? Noticed it was belt driven.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #54

If it drives the way people are thinking it will it should be absolutely amazing! I really don't think there will any comparison between the XV-01 and anything else that exists. Of course this is all based on assuming it will work exactly how it should, the belts are 100% sealed and its as tough as a rally car should be. Only time will tell.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

Great thread. Kudos Turtle!!!

I have been driving the DF03-RA for a couple of years now... And I ended up with pretty the same upgrades as you. Very reliable car, and I bash it hard on 9T, 2S brushless setup... Beside the rear diff. I got use at replacing the melted gear once in a while... Then I saw this thread. I immediately ordered and implemented your mod! It work fine, I tried it today, but now my setup is messed up (it was great with normal diff). Serious over-steer on-power, but Normal vs such a big change.

Any setup hints to save me time? I already have a setup with fairly stiff front and soft rear shocks...

Or maybe I need to give it more time and adapt my driving style!!!

Thanks again for sharing!

EncoreuneMod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #56

Awesome man. As far as set up I run my suspension a little different then you.

My front I used a soft spring with 45 weight oil and the rear I used a medium spring with 20-30 weight oil, it seemed to help keep the rear from squatting as bad and cut down on the understeer. Other then that it is going to drive a little different with a locked rear end, not as smooth as the open rear end, but for me it was extremely reliable. When you corner now, try letting off the throttle and letting the front end dive into the corner, it should help but you will have to relearn how to drive the car a little.

Have fun!

-Ty
Old 05-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #57
No idea what I'm doing

Hey Ty,

I bought a Mamba Micro last night for $50, and was thinking I could run this with a brushless motor in my DF. I guess I didn't think about the amp draw though...can the Mamba Micro survive running 2s with a brushless setup?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

Hi Guys
Great thread about the df03ra i nearly ordered the evo x one the other day but have just heard about a new tamiya rally chassie the xv-01.Its should be out in july so not sure weather to get the df03ra or their new rally car.What do you guys think.
Thanks Paul.

Last edited by Paul1234; 05-26-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Paul1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #59
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1234 View Post
Hi Guys
Great thread about the df03ra i nearly ordered the evo x one the other day but have just heard about a new tamiya rally chassie the xv-01.Its should be out in july so not sure weather to get the df03ra or their new rally car.What do you guys think.
Thanks Paul.
I would wait. July is almost here, so why not see what the new one can do before deciding. I was thinking of looking for a TB01, but I'm going to wait too.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #60
Rock Stacker

Thanks for that and i can see where your coming from about waiting.If its anything like the ta06 pro chassie it will be so hard to find someone stocking it.Most shop are all waiting for stock.Also im not to sure i like the look of it.Motor up front and the front suspension arms look very short.Looks more like a truck chassie like the cc01.If you look at the pic of the df03ra on this page without the shell but with the dirt cover on it just look all of road to me.Probley because its based on a buggy.Just my thoughts but wikl have to wait till it comes out.
Paul.
Paul1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/312726-turtles-modified-df03ra.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Querendo começar no Rally This thread Refback 02-20-2013 09:13 AM