Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Turtle's Modified DF03ra

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #61
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: Turtle's Modified DF03ra

$20 says Ty will have a full review within days of it's release, so I would wait for that.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

since this has seemed to have turned into an ask ty thread, i have always loved the old minis and many vintage rally cars in general, has anyone ever thought to make a vintage rally class in a similar vein to the vta classes using the tamiya m chassis? i would say if the real car is rear drive the scale one has to be and so on. spec motor tires...
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #63
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Hey Ty,

I bought a Mamba Micro last night for $50, and was thinking I could run this with a brushless motor in my DF. I guess I didn't think about the amp draw though...can the Mamba Micro survive running 2s with a brushless setup?
I think it is worth a try, I wouldn't run something more then 4000KV on it. Castle talks that ESC so much and I have seen them do some impressive things in crawlers, I am willing to bet on 2 cell it should hold up. For the first couple packs though I would check ESC and plug temperatures quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1234 View Post
Hi Guys
Great thread about the df03ra i nearly ordered the evo x one the other day but have just heard about a new tamiya rally chassie the xv-01.Its should be out in july so not sure weather to get the df03ra or their new rally car.What do you guys think.
Thanks Paul.
I think that in theory it should be a great driving car, availability and parts may be an issue. Only time will tell though. Hopefully I get a better idea in the next couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foproy View Post
since this has seemed to have turned into an ask ty thread, i have always loved the old minis and many vintage rally cars in general, has anyone ever thought to make a vintage rally class in a similar vein to the vta classes using the tamiya m chassis? i would say if the real car is rear drive the scale one has to be and so on. spec motor tires...
We have talked about making a Super 1600 class or 2wd class around here. But everything I have heard about the M-chassis series is they really can't handle off road anything. Lots of fun on tarmac and carpet, but constantly stuck in the dirt. In theory it sounds like tons of fun. But I think you would need a really smooth dirt track to get any performance out of that platform.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 AM   #64
Quarry Creeper

i will be living in a city so most of what i have to run on is pavement, i am thinking about an m chassis. that being said if i can get it before i leave i have an old gravel drive to run it on.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #65
Rock Stacker

Uk price of the xv 01 pro chassie is £250 same price as a associated sc10 4x4 or a df03ra evo x £190.Still not sure what to get will have to wait till july.
Paul
Paul1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Where do you get the majority of your parts from? I've been looking trying to place one big order rather than 5 little ones. Nice cars bet ya'll have a heck of a time. Definetly looks it from the couple of videos. Hope to see more.
xigtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4crawler View Post
Where do you get the majority of your parts from? I've been looking trying to place one big order rather than 5 little ones. Nice cars bet ya'll have a heck of a time. Definetly looks it from the couple of videos. Hope to see more.
Tamiya usa has parts sometimes, but generally I got parts from ebay, most of the parts come from Hong Kong, but you can at least find everything you are looking for. Sometimes I had to place orders through a couple different shops, but shipping generally isn't that bad. The easiest way to find parts is by the part number and not the description.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Tamiya usa has parts sometimes, but generally I got parts from ebay, most of the parts come from Hong Kong, but you can at least find everything you are looking for. Sometimes I had to place orders through a couple different shops, but shipping generally isn't that bad. The easiest way to find parts is by the part number and not the description.
Bummer, that's pretty much what I had found out. But you're right shipping isn't bad and it seems to be a decent speed.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #69

Quote:
Bummer, that's pretty much what I had found out. But you're right shipping isn't bad and it seems to be a decent speed.
Yeah generally a one to two week wait time, not bad considering every time I ever ordered from Tower Hobbies it took at least two weeks.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Well you were right on the shipping speeds. HK order is here but the Tower order isn't. I have 2 question: Did you use the # 54028 TRF shocks for the DF03? Would you have done the dif mod if you had a slipper clutch? I planned on doing the differential mod you did, but the car I ended up getting has the slipper clutch installed. Would it be senseless to run both? Lol I feel stupid for bringing this topic back up, but you take awesome pictures and google searching for this car pulls up this thread.

Last edited by xigtc; 06-16-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #71

Those are the buggy dampers at that part number, a little big for the rally car. a standard touring car shock is what I had on mine.

I had a slipper clutch on mine for a while and it ended up breaking on me, for the price I never ordered another one, even so I still had rear differential issues even with the slipper. I ran so much power (5700kv) that the rear differential still needed help staying together. Even if you decide not to lock the rear diff I would still order some full metal outputs, that will help the life span of the differential substantially. In my opinion doing both would still be a good idea, no such thing as overkill when it comes to the abuse these cars take.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

That's what I figured on the shocks. I picked up a 4600kv and went ahead and ordered the hardened outputs and the parts to lock the rear diff.

Last edited by xigtc; 06-17-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #73
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
RCMART.com also keep stock. Good web store.

FYI, I tried the lock diff mod. It was a great idea! But I was destroying shafts & diff cups like crazy and I never acheive to change my driving style or find the right damping setup to compensate. So I am back with the original ball diff. I now monitor the diff temperature systematically... I have the heat sink bars in stock (to be installed), I hope they will help. I will also try to put a lot more grease in there the next time I do a rebuild.

lol, this car is great but you need a full stock of diff spares to run it regularly with a high power motor. I order 3 diff spares at the time and I can run it in peace... while stock last!

Currently shopping for a 1/8 Rally... But I am keeping my DF03Ra!
EncoreuneMod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #74
Status...ADDICTED!

Great Shot!
Attached Images

ceedawwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #75
Rock Crawler

Hey Ty I got a question my man. I've read the thread, very informative thank you. But.....I purchased a drx-ve and have been bitten by the rally bug.

I would like a 1/10 car, in your opinion and I realize you mentioned preference for the TB01. I'm at a crossroads (undecided) on one of these or one of the Rally Legends cars which I really like the looks of.

Almost pulled the trigger last nite but thought I'd ask your opinion before plunking 350.00 on something I know very little about. (Rally in general)

Any input at all would be appreciated, Thanks!
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #76

Good call.

The Rally Legends car is a well balanced platform very similar to the TB01 layout. While I do like it and the bodies are fantastic, I would probably hold out and wait to see some reviews on the New Tamiya XV01. It honestly could be the best 10th scale Rally car to ever hit the market. While it is a belt drive system it is sealed and should be incredibly stout and with the motor mounted in the front It should handle fantastic. The pro kit is really close to being out. If I was you I would wait a couple more weeks for some reviews on the XV01.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #77
Rock Crawler

I was going to post a very similar question for you Ty. Read your review on the Rally Legends. I was looking at a DF03ra less than a year ago & we now have several good options for electric rally. HPI, Kyosho, Rally Legends, Tamiya.

I'm sure we'll see a Turtle review of the XV-01 soon.

It would be really sweet if there was a comparison chart of all the options. A lot to ask, I know but you have become the rally dude and who better to sort all this out?
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #78

Thats a great idea, when I get some extra time this week I will work on getting a basic list of all the different cars with specs and photos.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

Excelent! I'm sure you have some things in mind but what comes to mine are:

Scale. What is the true scale? Why is it that we as RC people are so wishy washy on scale? I know, chassis wheelbase but it seems like if you put 1:10 on the box, you should stick to it and if not, don't put a scale down.

Available bodies.

RTR vs. Kit.

Available aftermarket parts.

predicted popularity of a given class of racing.

bang for the buck right out of the box.

Performance with a stock build relative to cost. In other words, yea an HPI flux will outperform a DF03ra but it seems to me that at current prices, the DF03ra is still an option for someone wanting entry level price.

different drive train plus & minus.

and it always helps to have an informed subjective opinion on performance. This means you have to have tried em all. I vote for Turtle, all in favor....
DRW-FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Good call.

The Rally Legends car is a well balanced platform very similar to the TB01 layout. While I do like it and the bodies are fantastic, I would probably hold out and wait to see some reviews on the New Tamiya XV01. It honestly could be the best 10th scale Rally car to ever hit the market. While it is a belt drive system it is sealed and should be incredibly stout and with the motor mounted in the front It should handle fantastic. The pro kit is really close to being out. If I was you I would wait a couple more weeks for some reviews on the XV01.
Thank You, appreciate the info.
I was going to ask about the EV01 (seen it advertised) but didn't know anything about it. I guess it being new and all explains why.

Again Thank You, unfortunately patience is not a virtue I possess, so waiting a couple weeks is most likely out of the question lol.

There is a couple on ebay available straight from Japan. Probably going to pony up the funds and get one and deal with it good or bad.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/312726-turtles-modified-df03ra.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Querendo começar no Rally This thread Refback 02-20-2013 09:13 AM