Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Scale rally racing...!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

I have been a Rally racing fan since the late 70's They do time trial runs where they stagger the cars and the fastest time wins. The kicker is if there are more than one round, the winner moves to the front of the starting line and that is a bad thing. The dirt and rocks make the rally cars slip and slid and when you do that you ae going slower so it's better to run 2nd or 3rd when the course has been cleaned by the first cars tyres.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvtFV...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQXiU...eature=related

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 05-12-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ghetto_rig View Post
@Jason: I'm gonna make a crap-load of obstacles, so you don't need to pitch in at all....but you gotta come over here to enjoy them
DEAL lol, count me in! I'm working on a df-03 now!
FoxintheDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Default Scale wooden bridge..

I'm trying to design a scale wood bridge for my modular rally course but would like some input...
Here's the model I'm working from:

I want it to be a "tabletop" that you hit the entry ramp at, say, 3/4 speed and catch a little air... but if you hit it too fast, you hit the exit ramp before you are leveled out and WHAMMO!, you're off for repairs..

So with this in mind I am planning (with foxintheden's input, thanx man!) to build it a car length (15") wide, with the entry ramp 15" long, the tabletop 30" long, and the exit ramp 15" long...Do these numbers sound solid?

BTW: I am geared low and volted up so acceleration is dialed ..

Any input is appreciated!
the_ghetto_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:54 AM   #24

Hi guys! Thanks for watching and commenting our videos.

For more info about this class in english there is dedicated thread on rctech ...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...r-c-rally.html
monkeyracing.cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Just finished the bridge..now to prep it for painting..

It's modular:

The brains of this operation:
Old 05-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

And here's a quick vid I took last week, and some pics of the course barriers so far:

Old 05-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

That is awesome! man I need a place like that. I go to the park and they wont take kindly to me making a track.....

Do you have any problems with rocks jamming up your steering? where I run the rocks are murder on my rally cars.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

@Grumpster1980:

It's a pretty small park, and the trails I use are behind it in a wooded area..the trails make a sort of long figure 8 track (maybe 30-40 yards long) and at the end of one side is a great FOFF-style dirt hill
My df03 tears right up it, but with exposed roots in a couple spots it is actually pretty technical..Man, I really need a camera mounted to the front of my radio so I can show you guys..

And yes, the rocks in my steering linkage have been a pain,, but after cutting up some 3/4" heat shrink tube and shoe-gooing it on two sides to my chassis, I've got flexible rock-guard flaps!..gonna test 'em out tomorrow:

Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Tamiya used to sell a buggy body for the DF-03 I think it is called the Dark Impact and it covered the steering and body and kept the drit/rocks out, It is no longer being made and can not be found anyhwere! I have tried different ways but the rocks keep getting in the steering linkage. Now my servo is getting damaged before I put a new servo in I need to find a solution for it.

**EDIT*** Tamiya is making them again! Woot! Just ordered mine! $20.00

https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...uct-id=0555108

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 05-24-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

yeah, I just picked up a barely used DF-03 Avante Mk.II to use as a parts car and it had a perfect over-tray body on it...but I've already got one built out of lexan and panty-hose..it's real ghetto but its also both splashproof and ventilated...

Last edited by the_ghetto_rig; 05-24-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

can you show what the dark impact body looks like on the DF-03ra? does it cover the steering linkage? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Got some updates on the df03..just put in:
  • Castle Sidewinder SCT ESC w/ 12v fan
  • 3S 3800 LiPo
  • 19t Reedy Quad motor
Geared at 26/78, this thing rips! I was unsure if the SCT could handle a 19t on 3S, but after about 5 mins of full throttle gravel-flingin', it was barely warm..same after another 5 mins. I was gonna go with a 10t brushless, but that might be overkill (plus it wont look very scale if its THAT fast)..Got out the trusty can of "sandstone" textured spraypaint to give it that "already been at it for a couple of stages" look ..Now I'm just lookin for some aluminum wheels, but I can't find anything authentic looking..

Old 06-12-2011, 02:59 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

That was an awesome video, I'm going to have to dust off my HPI RS4 Rally. Though it needs a new body. I think in our new place with big yard I'll build a rally course before we clean out the yard.

Last edited by rckjeep; 06-12-2011 at 03:12 PM.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #34
RCC Addict

I just got out my RS4 rally and put the rally shocks back just for a little extra clearance. It handles soo bad compared to the aluminum shock set up I had for touring racing. But after ten years in the attic she still works pretty good. Of course doing that is what got me looking around and a few weeks later I am the proud new owner of a Honcho.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Just put in a 3900kv brushless and melted 2 rear diffs in 2 days!!

I forgot how much torque that motor has ...so now until my new diffs get here from Japan, I've got one of the melted diffs locked, fabbed up a slipper clutch (I aint payin $35 bucks for one if I can make one out of washers and 400gr sandpaper!), and concaved my throttle profile (Thanx Castle Link!)..lets see how long this set-up lasts
Old 07-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Well my new rally rigs are here and set up! What ya think?
Stock body:

After market CF Ford rs200:

FoxintheDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Jason, the light pods MAKE that rig! Hit it with some of that spray-snow crap people put on their windows and it'll look like a sweet ice-racer ..oh yeah, I'm friggin jelly !
Old 07-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

That bridge is bad a$$. I converted a 4WD onroad to a rally car, waiting on a subaru body from a Metalhead. Really cool cars. Any of you lock the rear axles for a posi rear end??? Have noticed that when turning the car leans and lifts up one side and that tire just kicks dirt, thought if it was posi it would grip better.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
That bridge is bad a$$.
Thanx! It's a pretty fun challenge with it being as narrow as it is..

Quote:
Any of you lock the rear axles for a posi rear end??
I do, but not by choice...I have fried 4 rear ball diffs in 2 months, so now I've got the rear locked up (with one of the bad ones) until I can figure out what the hell is going wrong..It takes 2 weeks to get 'em from Hong Kong and I've only got one good one left..

I think I was running the diff too loose, and the gear (under load) would rub the balls across both plates (rather than spinning between them...The stock DF03 has no slipper clutch, so that's another problem...so now I've fabbed my own with washers, slipper clutch paper from a Savage, and fuel tubing. It works pretty well so far, and is just as adjustable as the $30 one with a spring . I'll get all the bugs worked out before putting in my last good gear..

On the plus side, I threw on some Tamiya Driftech tires, and on 3s lipo with a Titan 21T and locked rear this thing is a smooth drifter!

Quote:
thought if it was posi it would grip better.
It does..but there is TONS of oversteer in certain conditions (running rubber on asphalt)...but with rally blocks on loose or packed dirt, or with ABS on asphalt, it drifts thru turns like a dream..

It still pushes a little thru the turns, but If I throttle it right I can compensate..it might be something I just have to get used to and work into my driving style, like clod-stall...

Last edited by the_ghetto_rig; 07-02-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Well, I just battle-tested my homebrew slipper-clutch, and even in extreme conditions and with a locked rear diff, there were no failures..just a lot of oversteer on loose material..now off to the parts washer so I can check the internals: