Old 08-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #81
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Cool Subaru vid with Higgins and Mirra:

That video is phenomenal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
Really? I saw Pat Richard racing an STi in the CRC (Canadian Rally Championship) a season or two ago with it. Hmm, maybe it'll be a replica of David's car then lol, I love that paint scheme.

Edit: NVM, it was David Higgins I saw racing it. So it will be a David Higgins replica then (or at least inspired), at least the full size wing can be used.
Regardless it will be cool to see some current design going into your car. I shot the GRC at Pikes Peak International, the article is on the home page with some cool shots of Higgins car if your looking for more sources.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #82
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Cool Subaru vid with Higgins and Mirra:

way cool video Brandon !!

oh and Ty, what's this Team Hoonigan business all about?

You guys need to get dirt 3 for PS3 and come rally against us GravelCrew Kids.
Recce01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recce01 View Post

Well Im a Hoonigan and I know a few guys who are too, so might as well get together and try to kill ourselves driving.

Want to be on the team?

I need to see some credentials.

You will have a one up on me in Dirt 3 I need to get a wheel!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Well Im a Hoonigan and I know a few guys who are too, so might as well get together and try to kill ourselves driving.

Want to be on the team?

I need to see some credentials.

You will have a one up on me in Dirt 3 I need to get a wheel!
I just can't get on something that reminds me of Ken Block LOL

credentials....

just some raw footage scraped together from 2003
http://www.youtube.com/user/recce01#p/u/35/LN4B4iTlxG0

one of our OG GCRallyX events
http://www.youtube.com/user/recce01#p/u/34/vc1WhdgsXfk

more GCRallyX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8eew...8519B6E86FCFE8

crap footage, but we were on the Euro Rallycross tip when Rally Americas marketing department was still trying to break through the wet paper bag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R56r...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eYx7...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/user/livesock.../0/Yh8b784aCqo

We lived Rally for 10 years......
Recce01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #85
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recce01 View Post

Got it! Haven't played in over a month

Will get back on it soon.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #86
Rock Crawler

I bought a used copy of Dirt 3 and instantly returned it. I cant get past the "Nitro Circus" feel of the game. Your better off playing The original Dirt or Dirt 2.

If you want one of the best Rally Racing games out there check out Colin McRae Rally 4, and Colin MaCrae Rally 5 for the PC

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 08-12-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
I bought a used copy of Dirt 3 and instantly returned it. I cant get past the "Nitro Circus" feel of the game. Your better off playing The original Dirt or Dirt 2.

If you want one of the best Rally Racing games out there check out Colin McRae Rally 4, and Colin MaCrae Rally 5 for the PC
Really? I love it. I think it has a better feel then the previous dirt games.

Granted the Gymkhana parts are a little annoying, but the stage rally and rallyX events are pretty good IMO.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #88
RCC Addict

Dirt 2 is worse than Dirt 3 for the dudebro Ken Block crap. I have Dirt 3, it isn't bad. On the hardest difficulty and no assists you will have a tough time trying to get on the podium. Best rally game to get though is Richard Burns Rally.

Anyways, stupid question but I can't seem to find the answer for it. Does the DF03ra use hex's or pins for the wheels? And will HPI Work Meister S1's work on it?
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Quote:
Anyways, stupid question but I can't seem to find the answer for it. Does the DF03ra use hex's or pins for the wheels? And will HPI Work Meister S1's work on it?
The DF03ra's use Hexes. As far as the Work Meister S1's, not sure.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #90

Quote:
AS Todd said yes it does use hexs. I looked at the Work Meister wheels and I don't see any reason they won't work though with a 6mm offset they may stick out past the body a little, there won't be any clearance issues though.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:
AS Todd said yes it does use hexs. I looked at the Work Meister wheels and I don't see any reason they won't work though with a 6mm offset they may stick out past the body a little, there won't be any clearance issues though.
Sounds good then, I'll either get those or the TE37's in 0 offset as my road wheels, I already know what tires I want so I don't make the rally blocks bald.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Quote:
with a 6mm offset they may stick out past the body a little, .
Man, i don't know..my 3mm offsets are almost too wide for the Lancia body...

..but anyways, here's updated DF-03 Rallytruck photos...I had Flatirons on it before, but they were too tall and soft..any corner I took put me on my roof. The stock Hilift tires are perfect though (and I think I might be the first guy to actually find a use for them )..just installed the lightbar and LED's so I'm ready to hit the state park tonite..

Last edited by the_ghetto_rig; 08-19-2011 at 09:49 PM.
the_ghetto_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #93
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
I gotta argue with that..Rallisport Challenge 2 tops all..especially for 2005 Xbox technology..and it's still one of the prettiest racers..

And an FYI to rally fans:

I just got a Roku player and found that racefanstv is one of the channels that is offered..I got a trial subscription to check it out and there is an entire sub-channel devoted to rally..
There's loads and loads of video from the '86 Dakar, WRC from '89 to mid '90's,
a history of Group B, etc. And after the trial is over a subscrip is only $5 a month...just had to share that!

Last edited by the_ghetto_rig; 08-13-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #94
RCC Addict

Alrighty, still haven't picked up a kit yet, but I will be going in the next few weeks to get one. However, where I'll be going, I saw on their website they now have the TT-01E Subaru WRX.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...od_id=TAM58426

So I guess what I'm asking is, which would be a better choice? I'll mostly be running it at construction sites, empty dirt lots and ball fields and also in parking lots (not drifting though). It seems I can find parts easier for the TT-01 than for the DF-03 but the DF-03 does have a ground clearance advantage, but the TT-01E version is almost $50 cheaper. I'm leaning more towards the TT-01E now, but would like some input first.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #95
Rock Crawler

@ canadianbacon:
The DF03 is MUCH better for off-road, and it can drift ...the mods I've done in this thread will get it 97.2% bulletproof (and on 3S!)..also, I pm'd you..
Old 09-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ghetto_rig View Post
@ canadianbacon:
The DF03 is MUCH better for off-road, and it can drift ...the mods I've done in this thread will get it 97.2% bulletproof (and on 3S!)..also, I pm'd you..
X2

Plus it is really durable.

The TT-01 is considered a beginners level car with good reason. It comes made entirely of plastic, even the dog bones. There is a reason its cheaper, it won't be able to handle the power or be as durable as the DF-03Ra.

There maybe more after market support for the TT-01 as well, but that is because it needs it. Plus if you know where to look you can find every single part for a DF03RA in titanium, aluminum, graphite or carbon fiber. The DF03Ra parts are harder to find simply because they aren't necessary to keep the car running, unlike the TT-01.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #97
Rock Crawler

While Turtle's right, there ARE some things to consider..If you are handy at building and modding, you can build a decent rally car out of the TT-01..With its direct-drive (no transmission) and bevel-gear diffs, it makes for a GREAT basher rally car..You WILL need to do a few things:
  • Install ball bearings
  • Upgrade the driveshaft to aluminum
  • Cut the suspension-stop tabs on the chassis underneath the A-arms (once you look at it you will know what I mean, it is a bit of plastic that stops furthern down-travel of the A-arms)
  • Upgrade to HPI Nitro RS4 shocks (pref. aluminum)
The DF03 has some drawbacks:
  • The transmission is complex and NOT sturdy if left stock..plus it is all held together by notoriously brittle Tamiya ABS casing. I found that if ONE screw-hole is stripped in the casing or the casing is cracked, it threw my gear placement off and blew the tranny...BOILING ALL TAMIYA ABS for about 45 min solved these issues for me..
  • The ball-diffs WILL FAIL! ..Use Turtle's "slipper peg mod", putting Traxxas slipper pegs in the diff ball holes instead..
  • You will need to make an over-tray for both the chassis and steering linkage, otherwise gravel will bind up all your moving parts..
Hope this helps...
Old 09-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #98
RCC Addict

Sounds like the $50 I'd be saving with the TT-01E would just be going towards upgrades to make it comparable to the DF-03RA then. The only plus I see with the TT-01 then is the gear diff and no transmission. Anyways, thanks guys, guess I'll be getting the DF-03RA then.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:11 PM   #99
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ghetto_rig View Post
While Turtle's right, there ARE some things to consider..If you are handy at building and modding, you can build a decent rally car out of the TT-01..With its direct-drive (no transmission) and bevel-gear diffs, it makes for a GREAT basher rally car..You WILL need to do a few things:
  • Install ball bearings
  • Upgrade the driveshaft to aluminum
  • Cut the suspension-stop tabs on the chassis underneath the A-arms (once you look at it you will know what I mean, it is a bit of plastic that stops furthern down-travel of the A-arms)
  • Upgrade to HPI Nitro RS4 shocks (pref. aluminum)
The DF03 has some drawbacks:
  • The transmission is complex and NOT sturdy if left stock..plus it is all held together by notoriously brittle Tamiya ABS casing. I found that if ONE screw-hole is stripped in the casing or the casing is cracked, it threw my gear placement off and blew the tranny...BOILING ALL TAMIYA ABS for about 45 min solved these issues for me..
  • The ball-diffs WILL FAIL! ..Use Turtle's "slipper peg mod", putting Traxxas slipper pegs in the diff ball holes instead..
  • You will need to make an over-tray for both the chassis and steering linkage, otherwise gravel will bind up all your moving parts..
Hope this helps...
With these mods, would the TT01 stand up to some pretty good abuse (vxl)? I have an extra vxl system laying around, so what the heck?! And the TT01ES chassis set can be had for $115...

Last edited by brianw; 10-20-2011 at 03:14 PM.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Awesome driving, but i always LOL at the people running after them. you would think you could get nice and high up and look over it.
OntarioCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote