Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Losi Micro Rally Car

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Losi Micro Rally Car

I couldn't stand it anymore. Chevy55 and Spoo76 convinced me to get one of the new Losi 1/24 Rally Cars. I teach 6th grade I should know not to give in to peer pressure.
Here it is fresh and still in the package.

I like the look of the stock body and was thinking that I would just repaint it on the outside with a solid color. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the graphics were all decal. The graphics were put on before the window and tail light decals so you will need to trim around them with a hobby knife but after that the graphics just peel off.

Other than that I shaved the knuckles to help with the steering and painted the wheels a gunmetal color.

Here is a size comparison between a RC18R and a micro High Roller.

I am really happy with the way this car is put together. The threaded oil filled shocks are nice. I also really like how the body turned out. The only complaint I have is that it is a little slow out of the box. I have some lipos on the way that I hope will fix that. I ordered 3 lipos and a charger and got them shipped for right at $30.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

The speed is the only thing holding me back from one of these. I think the motor should have been upped in size a little bit but there is really nothing at those in between sizes. However, I saw a guy who immediately changed his to the losi 10250 or whatever the kv is brushless and has put 50 packs through it with no trouble. Im trying not to, but I know im gonna end up buying one. Just gotta hold back from immediately going lipo brushless as well.

Let us know what the lipo does for it. Im curious. Would also like to see a vid!
ride1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I have friends that have already went lipo. They say it makes a big difference. One in particular has went lipo and an Atomic BB motor. He says that is just as good as lipo and much cheaper.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I added some waterslide decals out of the model car parts box.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

how good does it do off-road? i havent seen any videos yet....
desertmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I broke down and bought one haha. I put a 2s lipo in it from my micro t and its a ton of fun.

As for off road, it actually does pretty good if its some tight packed dirt without too much debris in it. However, within about 5 minutes I had a piece of dirt in my spur that was big enough to immobilize the car until I tore it down and removed the piece with an exacto blade. It got into the spur pretty quick. Maybe a home made gear cover would help, but I really only got mine for the nice paved driveway I have.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

They go offroad on smooth dirt pretty well. I got a short course truck body and the wheels/tires and its fun with that set up on my concrete driveway.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:09 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Trying to hold off on getting one of these. Got 2 buddies that bought some at the LHS last week and they are alot of fun to drive. The little 2s lipo is a must-do upgrade when you see a nimh vs. a lipo running side by side.
untchabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Oh big time. The 2s really wakes this thing up. I cant wait to see what brushless is gonna feel like. I kinda want to get the lower kv brushless so its not as stupid fast but then I feel like I could always just dial the bigger one down a bit.

Oh and stop waiting, just go buy one. Youll love it.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

hey im thinking about getting one, they are goin to start racing them in maine and thought id give it a try. how are they? are they any fast and do they handle good?
Axialfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride1226 View Post
Oh and stop waiting, just go buy one. Youll love it.
I know I'll like it, just don't have the extra cash since I just bought an XR10.

Our LHS has the foam track on backorder, so once it comes in they are supposed to start racing them. I'll break down and pick one up eventually.
untchabl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

well i first saw the micro short course truck and wanted that one but then heard they are gonna race the rally cars, the guy at my lhs said they are basicaly the same car anyways
Axialfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Axialfan19,
I bought the rally, great fun. My buddy bought the SCT so I did some research to figure out what it takes to make my rally a truck:
buy these $10
these $5
and this $16
total cost $30-$40 (shipping and all that)
and your rally is a SCT
these things are a blast
500swmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Yep that is it. I got a body and wheels on another forum shipped for $10 so I just took the front bumper off and run it like this.

Last edited by nascarkeith; 09-09-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
RCC Addict

What size lipos are you using. Do you have a link to any good deals on the lipos?
finishline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishline View Post
What size lipos are you using. Do you have a link to any good deals on the lipos?

I did but the links didn't work last time I tried them. www.himodel.com is where I ordered from. They are 25c around 850mah I think. I know the micro t forum has a list of all the batteries that fit and the battery box dimensions.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:40 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

One of the guys I work with picked one of these up for his, works pretty good in it, although you almost need a shoehorn to get it into there
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I'm getting one of these, Has anyone found a brushless motor thats not 9000kv, The brushless system that they sell for it is 9000kv or 11000kv. A buddy of mine cant keep spur or pinion gears in it. it just tears them up.

but there has to be a heli motor or something that can replace it.

Anyone ?
aaugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Check Hobbycity.com I think they have some. Microtforum.com has just about anything you would ever want to know about these cars.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Built a new chassis. Lower is made from a piece of sheetmetal I had laying around. Glued styrene as a spacer under the diffs and a strip of styrene serves as the steering guide up front. Top is styrene. Plenty strong enough and light weight.

Stock motor mount and motor with a Losi Micro Crawler 2.4 ESC/RX. I forgot it used a three wire servo but luckily I had an E-flite heli servo that I made work.

I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Weight is low and it drives good. No problems with traction rolling even on rough concrete. The chassis also gives you plenty of room for bigger lipos. The one I the pic is a flat pack I got from Hobby Partz for around $3. Huge Dean’s is temporary. I have micro Dean’s but they just came in today and I haven’t had time to solder them on.