Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Riks Lancer V WRC Rally DF03RA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
rik
RCC Addict

Default Riks Lancer V WRC Rally DF03RA

i got the kit in and got it assembled. the kit was pretty easy to put together and did not take too long. maybe 3 hrs. I ordered a hobbywing brushless combo (4000 kv) which should be here monday. I also need to get a servo and a 3S lipo. oh, and paint of course. the plan is to paint is as close to the model on the box. we'll see how that goes :-) The kit also came with some cool abs body parts like mirrors, tail pipe, hood scoop, and some other things.

anyway the pics,

the kit and some paint i ordered

everything laid out

from here on out i took pics as i thought about it. which wasnt too often.

the rear (there is a spur cover. didnt realize the was one until the the rear was on the chassis)

rear on chassis and front end

and the roller

rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
rik
RCC Addict

Default Re: Riks Lancer V WRC Rally DF03RA

well here it is all finished. i'm quite happy with how it turned out. though, if ya get this kit BE SURE TO LOCK THE DIFF'S! i didnt and the front diff came loose. i went to snug it back up and snapped the bolt that goes thru the diff. so i am waiting on the bolt to come in the mail. i just noticed that i also forgot to trim the body posts down lol... But, i did get to drive it a little. on 3S this thing is insane!

here's the hobbywing 4000kv combo i ordered..

i was going for the paint job that tamiya has on the box. i think i got it pretty well matched. and yes, i realize the wing isnt on it. damn thing is huge. just doesn't look right IMO....

Last edited by rik; 07-11-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
rik
RCC Addict

so over the past few days, and two diff failures, i've found that 3S is too much for this car. i get maybe 10-15 minutes of good run time and then the rear diff lets loose. so my third attempt at locking it hopefully will be the last. i used jb weld to hold it all together. Then a screw through the center and three screws in a triangulated pattern. we'll see how it holds up. if it fails, i'll be at a complete loss lol

Old 07-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
rik
RCC Addict

well i took it out today and ran a two full packs thru it. a 3S and a 2S. It handles a lot better with the 2S. but, nothing broke. the rear diff held up just fine. i think i will be running 2S packs in it from here on out.

edit, something did break. the front bumper, on the body itself. im looking at the pics and thought "sheesh, thats a funny looking piece of grass". then i looked up at it and saw the crack. just put some goop on it, so all will be good tomorrow for another round of rally fun in the back yard.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Awesome build! Try glue from a hot glue gun but put the setting on low and it does a great job at healing lexan bodies. I am running my DF-03ra with the Datsun Rally body with stock electronics and its perfect speed wise.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
rik
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
Awesome build! Try glue from a hot glue gun but put the setting on low and it does a great job at healing lexan bodies. I am running my DF-03ra with the Datsun Rally body with stock electronics and its perfect speed wise.

thanks bud! i'll keep that in my mind next time she breaks.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Gettin’ back on the horse

I hope that rear diff mod works for you. I tried that on mine and eventually it ripped apart.

In my DF03Ra thread I have a rear diff mode that worked really well. Lasted several months with no issues. I never had issues with the front end. Good luck and enjoy the car.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-c...ed-df03ra.html
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Looking good. Paint does look pretty darn close!
xigtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
rik
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I hope that rear diff mod works for you. I tried that on mine and eventually it ripped apart.

In my DF03Ra thread I have a rear diff mode that worked really well. Lasted several months with no issues. I never had issues with the front end. Good luck and enjoy the car.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-c...ed-df03ra.html

thanks! they are a blast to drive. when me and my buddy got our DF03RA's we went right to your thread actually. you got a sick ride there bud. but, being the stooge i am, i just had to use what was on hand to lock the rear. i figured when/if it does go, your mod was/is the next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4crawler View Post
Looking good. Paint does look pretty darn close!
thanks! i tried. lol

i am slowly learning that 3S is just a tad too much for this car for me. at 1/2 - 3/4 throttle its ok. but no matter what surface i'm on, if i punch it, the car kinda floats off the ground and just spins out. but, damn, it is friggin fun..

Last edited by rik; 07-11-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Riks Lancer V WRC Rally DF03RA - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WRC Rally Catalunya 2011 trucktrial Chit Chat 2 06-03-2012 08:20 PM
DF03Ra Lancer Build neillarson General Scale Talk 9 04-29-2011 07:40 AM
DF03ra rally cars in action Huey Rally 11 06-25-2010 07:03 PM
Greek Acropolis Rally (WRC Rally) FJONES007 Outside the US 1 07-16-2009 06:24 AM