RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Rally (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/)
-   -   Tamiya XV-01, HPI WR8 Flux Ken Block, or DM-1 Pro (w/rally mods)!! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/393174-tamiya-xv-01-hpi-wr8-flux-ken-block-dm-1-pro-w-rally-mods.html)

alexchen86 07-14-2012 09:26 PM

Tamiya XV-01, HPI WR8 Flux Ken Block, or DM-1 Pro (w/rally mods)!!

Well I've finally accumulated a decent amount in my Paypal to move onto my next on-road light dirt rally/rally cross project.

I've always wanted an 1/8 due to their buggy platform layout with decent ride height easily tuneable to work.

My 2 Tamiya DF-03Ra's got me hooked into rally especially looking at Turtle's builds! So then on a whim I got an HPI Apache C1 as a 80% tarmac 20% dirt and jump rig. Then turned my old Slash 4x4 PE with an Inferno IGT1 Subie WRC body custom mounted and custom modded the stock aluminum big bores with internal limiters...no matter what I do still handles like a SCT truck due to the chassis.

So I have 3 cars to look at for new rally releases this year:
Btw the ESCs I have on hand that I plan on running brushless with is the MMP, MMM and 2200kv,

Tamiya XV-01 Pro...beautiful chassis, TRF shocks, front motor layout...plus it's a kit!!!

1/8 HPI WR8 Flux Ken Block version 4000kv soon to be released....but it's a RTR.

1/8 OFNA DM-1e with some custom work can be rally tuned.

I fell in love with 1/8 on road after my IGT2 Aston Martin version...just sucks cuz it's an POS nitro motor they throw in there...blew the conrod after a gallon and a half...then again i drove that thing hard!!

I wish they build the Tamiya XV-01 chassis in 1/8!

Which rally car would be ideal for really sandy, loose gravel about 3cm tall, mud and water crossings...and able to take a few hits w/o waiting on replacement parts?

Wish they made a Kyoshon IGT2 in brushless that would be sweet!

I like brushless for its torque and ease of maintenance since where I run even nitros get noise complaints.

Might stop by my LHS to see what is kicking over there tomorrow.

Let's bring rally back!!!

Soulo747 07-14-2012 09:59 PM

One vote for XV-01.

xigtc 07-14-2012 10:29 PM

I'd 2nd XV-01. It looks cool has some nice features. Downside like you said is probably clearance and being its Tamiya the battery area is probably a tight fit for most li-po's.

I'd kinda like to take the wheel of the WR8.... Not into the nitro version and with the hefty price probably wouldn't even consider the electric.

Glad to see another interest in rally!!

Yea I was half asleep when responding initially.

TURTLE 07-14-2012 11:13 PM

Re: Tamiya XV-01, HPI WR8 Flux Ken Block, or DM-1 Pro (w/rally mods)!!

HPI out of the three for a couple reasons.

1.) Ease of parts
2.) Larger scale will handle bumps, jumps and all around abuse better.
3.) Shaft drive will last longer and take more abuse then the belt drive XV-01 (especially sand).
4.) My Kyosho DRX (large scale rally car) is the funniest thing I have ever owned.
5.) It comes RTR for a decent price (keep in mind I have 800.00 into my Electric DRX rally).
6.) The HPI comes out of the box ready for Tarmac, with big brushless power comes tire shredding, so start right with a tarmac tire.
7.) The larger scale rally car, works and looks more real then my 10th scale cars, which to me is amazing.

The XV-01 and WR8 are two different beasts, The XV-01 will handle not nearly as well as the WR8. The XV-01 is more geared to groomed surfaces, while the HPI will be able to handle most things you throw at it. At the same time these cars are not really in competition with each other because scale moves these two vehicles far from competing with one another (in most cases).

My bases for comparison on these two soon to be released cars is the 7 different 10th scale rally cars I have driven (all set in different fashions) in a best case scenario and my 9th scale Kyosho DRX electric (which is closer to 7th scale and the best driving car ever!).

If I had to pick one it would be the WR8, but I don't, I'm getting both.:mrgreen:

gabehunt 07-15-2012 01:53 AM

I say all three!!!! haha but seriously, probably will get the hpi

alexchen86 07-15-2012 06:11 AM

Thanks for the input guys and especially your reply Turtle! Since the WR8 is now available brushless I was a lot more interested than before with there weak little nitro version...imo they should have put a .21 or .28 into there.

Totally forgot about the Kyoshon DRX and now the brushless VE...that was what turned me on to larger scale rally cars....might sell a few old 1/10 on-roads I had plans to convert over including a TB-03R...

alexchen86 07-16-2012 02:48 AM

Man the more I think about it the more I am leaning towards the WR8 flux once available here in the states....

There is one Tamiya XV-01 listing on eBay coming from Hong Kong lol....but I will never pay $45 on shipping plus a 2 week wait!! Lots of options here...I was sort of in the same boat when I got the Axial Exo and built it up...only upgrades on it were the weak shocks which were instantly swapped to PowerStrokes. Fun little car but I like my HPI C1 Apache flux better....handles more stable on pavement and uneven surfaces versus the Exo. Sold the Exo to fund my new rally beast. My DF-03Ra is the nicest looking lexan scaler I have.

I'm a bit worried on the how the tranny gear material and layout on the XV-01 will be compared to the DF-03Ra....I kept stripping the gear above the idler just to find out I over tightened the top gearbox cover in the rear which caused a little play between the bearings in there. Plus I was running a 4600kv Castle AND a slipper!!

Might lean to HPI again for this one....I have huge loose sand and dirt where I live so perfect for large scale rally cars or when I run my Baja out there. HPI sure has stepped it up lately....only thing I have to complain about the C1 Apache is that the front CVD's are too short at the dog bone end from the factory so you have to call HPI for a replacement set...which drives me insane seeing how that buggy is $600!!!

Here's my growing fleet of rally machines:

Left to right:
1/24, 1/10, and 1/8
http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/a...C/100_0168.jpg
Now if I had a 1/7 AND a 1/5.....

TURTLE 07-16-2012 08:02 AM

Kyosho DRX is close to 1/7th.:mrgreen: Kinda looks like you have it already though. What are the dimensions on the larger STI?

alexchen86 07-16-2012 01:22 PM

The larger STI I got a steal! Basically it's just a lowered Slash 4x4 PE with custom sways, 1/8 AKA adapters, wabash wheels and Proline Knuckles tires (most rally looking 1/8 tread I could find at the time) plus a custom body mounting system and a custom front bumper to protect the front end of the shell. Total cost of the entire project was $50 for shell and tires since I already had the wheels....so basically around $100.

One of my LHS consistently stock items that customers don't want or need from new kits (bodies, tires, wheels, radio systems, you name it). The LHS then turns around and offers X amount of dollars to the buyer as a discount towards their new purchase and then puts whatever item the customer doesn't want back on the shelf to sell as a "brand new open box item."

So that Subie WRC body which was originally meant for an Inferno GT1 was on sale for $50 no tax. The only things of course are small extra holes for body mounts and the side exit for the exhaust tip. Nothing some rally decals couldn't cover up once I made new holes.

alexchen86 07-18-2012 12:14 PM

Well with Tower's specials and free shipping I couldn't resist...just ordered up a DM-1 Spec E. I'll build it as a parking lot basher. Might take it out to one of our large scale on-road tracks about half an hour away and see how it performs on a prepped course.

I wonder if I can find a rally body that fits the wheelbase of the DM-1....