Notices

Thread: Turtle's Modified XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #281
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: Turtle's Modified XV-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tontos_Touch View Post
Great wright up makes me want a rally bad lol but I really like the new body can't wait to see some vids
Thanks man. We should have some videos popping up after todays race.

I did a little step by step of the painting for this body. Besides bloching the decals in a few spots it turn out alright. I love the body though!

Also for those getting this body here is a good tutorial on where to cut the body.

58281 Ford Focus RS WRC 2001 TB-01 @ Tamiya RC Classics & Moderns

I love the back end, but I quickly found out that the back of the body in the corners would dig into the ground and fill the back of the car with dirt, so I had to trim the corners up level with the rest of the back. I also need to raise the rear one hole on the post, but will have to put new rear posts on to do that.

And this is the tire cut pattern I am running front and rear for the series. And after today I am a strong believer that this is the best cut pattern I have run yet. These worked awesome on the wet sandy track today, cleaning out and pulling hard through the whole track. I am also running +2 offset wheels with this body. It sits perfect in the front and could possibly use +1 more in the rear.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #282

BVRC already posted photos from todays race, so I grabbed a couple of my car. I am sure you guys are sick of just seeing garage shots.

And one shot of the subaru XV-01 front wheel drive car.

Last edited by TURTLE; 10-21-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #283

I wasn't visited this forum for a long time and now I can find there are many friends and rc rally enthusiasts here great!

Back to topic ...

really nice and original paint scheme on your DS3 Tyler! Good work!

p.s. About decal webbing ... did you use water with detergent when placing decals on body please? Vinyl we are using is more elastic then common commercial decals. The advantage is it can perfectly copy the surface of the body especially on complicated shapes. On the other side ... when you stick it not exactly on place or with bubbles, you can't take it back or move without deforming decal itself. It's the reason we reccomend soap water and do not hurry with placing decals. Soft towel for removing water from under decal is good tool. You can use sharp needle or knife to eliminate bubbles on larger decals too.
monkeyracing.cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #284
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing.cz View Post
I wasn't visited this forum for a long time and now I can find there are many friends and rc rally enthusiasts here great!

Back to topic ...

p.s. About decal webbing ... did you use water with detergent when placing decals on body please? Vinyl we are using is more elastic then common commercial decals. The advantage is it can perfectly copy the surface of the body especially on complicated shapes. On the other side ... when you stick it not exactly on place or with bubbles, you can't take it back or move without deforming decal itself. It's the reason we reccomend soap water and do not hurry with placing decals. Soft towel for removing water from under decal is good tool. You can use sharp needle or knife to eliminate bubbles on larger decals too.
holy crap it's the man himself. Howdy Michal! I too got one of your DS3s. I just wanted to say thanks for sending some over to us, and keep us in the loop when you make any new bodies.
best regards;
kirt
bvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #285

Quote:

Back to topic ...

Its good to see you on here Michal. I was just going to email you.

Yeah decal work is all on me. I was way to excited to take my time and paid for it when it came to a couple of the decals. It's great that you posted here though, so everyone can learn what not to do with the decals from me. And know what to do from the master himself.

The next one I get from you I plan to take my time and breath deep. I hope you check in with us and share some of what is going with your crew and help this amazing thing called rally grow throughout the U.S.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #286

Thank you guys! I hope you will enjoy new ds3 bodies same as we do.

Now we are finishing work on new fiesta 2014 bodies. Will be ready during month. I'll post info here.

btw. I added link to Colorado Rally Championship to our world rc rally links page if you agree ... PYeklada Google
Old 10-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #287

Quote:
Thank you guys! I hope you will enjoy new ds3 bodies same as we do.

Now we are finishing work on new fiesta 2014 bodies. Will be ready during month. I'll post info here.

btw. I added link to Colorado Rally Championship to our world rc rally links page if you agree ... PYeklada Google
100% agree!

Thanks Michal!

Can't wait to get some of the new Fiestas you guys are making. Keep up the outstanding work with all you do.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #288

Thanks.

probably you know this but anyway ...
nice and cheap solution for extending rear (or front) body stands ...

RC Car Adjustable Body Stand / Pole (4pcs)
Old 10-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #289

Yes sir. I have some around my house somewhere. I just didn't think about rear post height until I was at the event. The posts I have in the rear were cut down for a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRC body. I have some new body posts here to raise it up. I think one notch will probably be enough. I will mock it up later and see if I can get the rear sitting a little higher.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #290
Rock Crawler

Turtle, did you have to trim your front foam for the ds3? I'm starting to work on the body and I'm wondering if I need to tackle that before reaming holes for posts?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrc View Post
Turtle, did you have to trim your front foam for the ds3? I'm starting to work on the body and I'm wondering if I need to tackle that before reaming holes for posts?
Yeah I did. Not that much though. Maybe a 1/4 of an inch... Maybe.

You can see in the photos that the front is still pushed out a little. So I could do more, I just like the protection the bumper adds and rather have the body pushed out a little then compromise that too much.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #292
Pebble Pounder

That ramp looks crazy and great job on the body, side note I just padre plans to see my first Rally America race on the snow in Atlanta Michigan, I think the bug has bitten me
Tontos_Touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #293
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Back to topic ...

Welcome Michal!!!
I also wanted to thank you very much, i got one of the DS3 Bodies WOW they look AWESOME!!!!. great detailing. i have been asking Ty for some time now about the Citron bodies. just love the look of that body. thanks for the advise on the decals. i have used Windex and a hair drier in the past, it works pretty good. i will try the soapy water on this one. Thanks for the ad to you world rally section, i feel a little more infamous now. also i cant wait to see you new bodies please keep us in the loop. I am very interested in see what else you guys put out.

Paul

Last edited by BasicMods; 10-22-2013 at 09:08 AM.
BasicMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #294
Rock Stacker

Ty, i didnt get a chance to as you, how did the snipped rally block tires work? I noticed a lot of sandy mud sticking in the treads of my MRC Academy's. Just wondering if the mud seemed out be clearing out of the treads faster then stock.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicMods View Post
Ty, i didnt get a chance to as you, how did the snipped rally block tires work? I noticed a lot of sandy mud sticking in the treads of my MRC Academy's. Just wondering if the mud seemed out be clearing out of the treads faster then stock.
Oh yes! The snipped tires worked really well. Cleaned out on there own and pulled hard. I highly recommend everyone cutting them this way. Or don't, better for me if you don't.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #296
Rock Crawler

Quote:
x2. I'm obvisouly still new at this. But when I was driving home I was thinking about how my tires affected the car, and maybe if something different would have been better? Now I'm thinking I may cut these kyosho OEMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Oh yes! The snipped tires worked really well. Cleaned out on there own and pulled hard. I highly recommend everyone cutting them this way. Or don't, better for me if you don't.
Will you be running the same tires at the next race? Is the 40th street surface different from Hoon470?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #297

The surface is different at 40th st., but still gets pretty loose over the course of the days races. So yes I will be running these same tires there. And for probably all of the season except the tarmac race.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #298
Rock Stacker

40th Street Raceway is a multi-surface track. the main part of the track is a very fine loose silty thin top layer over a hard pack more sandy surface (not as sandy as HOON470). there is an elevated section that has a lot more clay mixed in it. there is a concrete/paver stone corner. and a hairpin turn that goes over a bridge. the dirt is real loose there and tends to get rutted out quickly. the track is about half the length of HOON470 with the new hill section. I soak the track heavily the night before the race to help keep the dust down. there shouldn't be and really muddy section (depending on the weather).
I LOVE my Academy rally blocks, they seem to get better traction than the Tamiya tally blocks. that being said i think i am going to try snipping a set of rally blocks like Ty has to see if it help the treads clean out better and maybe give it a little bit more of a sand paddle typ traction, by doing that it might hurt traction on the concrete section.

Check the Rally Tracks section for pics & vids of the track if you need to

Rally Tracks!

If anyone needs daylight practice or just to check out the track just PM me and let me know when
Old 10-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #299
Rock Crawler

Quote:
40th Street Raceway is a multi-surface track. the main part of the track is a very fine loose silty thin top layer over a hard pack more sandy surface (not as sandy as HOON470). there is an elevated section that has a lot more clay mixed in it. there is a concrete/paver stone corner. and a hairpin turn that goes over a bridge. the dirt is real loose there and tends to get rutted out quickly. the track is about half the length of HOON470 with the new hill section. I soak the track heavily the night before the race to help keep the dust down. there shouldn't be and really muddy section (depending on the weather).
I LOVE my Academy rally blocks, they seem to get better traction than the Tamiya tally blocks. that being said i think i am going to try snipping a set of rally blocks like Ty has to see if it help the treads clean out better and maybe give it a little bit more of a sand paddle typ traction, by doing that it might hurt traction on the concrete section.

Check the Rally Tracks section for pics & vids of the track if you need to

Rally Tracks!

If anyone needs daylight practice or just to check out the track just PM me and let me know when
Thanks for the info, I'll PM you so I don't clog up turtle's thread.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #300
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
BVRC already posted photos from todays race, so I grabbed a couple of my car. I am sure you guys are sick of just seeing garage shots.

And one shot of the subaru XV-01 front wheel drive car.
I am so envious if you Ty lol. Here I am with my DF-03ra minor mods here and there ready for action but no course! Then impulse buy on a wr8 flux KB edition with the Tarmac and gravel spec wheels and tires.....plus an extra body.

Houston is in dire need of more rocks for our comp sites already....and now gravel and dirt too?!

You boys are so lucky up there!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/400591-turtles-modified-xv-01-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Querendo começar no Rally This thread Refback 02-20-2013 09:13 AM
Slash Garage This thread Refback 02-14-2013 05:06 PM

Turtle's Modified XV-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turtle's Modified DF03ra TURTLE Rally 83 04-10-2014 02:38 AM
Turtle's Modified TB01 TURTLE Rally 78 03-08-2013 01:57 AM
Turtle's Modified DF01 TURTLE Rally 17 08-15-2012 07:05 PM
Turtle's skeeter TURTLE EnRoute Berg 36 06-07-2009 05:02 PM