Notices

Thread: Turtle's Modified XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #301
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: Turtle's Modified XV-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
I am so envious if you Ty lol. Here I am with my DF-03ra minor mods here and there ready for action but no course! Then impulse buy on a wr8 flux KB edition with the Tarmac and gravel spec wheels and tires.....plus an extra body.

Houston is in dire need of more rocks for our comp sites already....and now gravel and dirt too?!

You boys are so lucky up there!
Thanks man! But its not luck, its hard work and determination. This track and all our tracks were hand built with shovels and buckets.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #302
I wanna be Dave

Yup nature will always find a way...and yeah that was a Jurassic Park rip lol. Lucky for one of our monstrous ovals for 1/5 off road all we do is take a 3/4 ton Ford and just drive in circles until its all flat lol. After its watered down of course.....go redneck engineering! And the barriers are old trailer tires from mobile homes lol.

The back is an ATV track....pretty nice layout.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #303
Rock Crawler

turtle; have you put lights in the DS3 yet?
bvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrc View Post
turtle; have you put lights in the DS3 yet?
Nope and I am not going too. I have the body from last season all wired up though. I don't have it in me to put holes in the DS3. Maybe next time.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #305
I wanna be Dave

Ty,

Are you using any sort of interior protection on the insides of these lexan shells? I know Tamiya shells are very thick as compared to your typical HPI or Axial...I always reinforce maybe a little too much.

I get all the body posts with foam and shoe goo, then duct tape all pillars, roof, all doors, hood, trunk, wheel wells, basically the entire inside LOL. Downside is the body is even more top heavy as if rally cars aren't top heavy enough. On dirt it's manageable but on concrete prepare for countless barrel rolls if you turn a bit too sharp.

Can we see an inside shot of your reinforcements?
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #306

I don't reinforce the bodies, so no photos necessary. I run old bodies to practice and run one body for races only. After I race a season on a body it becomes a practice body. I have something like 15 rally car bodies so reinforcing them has never been much of a concern. Plus as you said they become top heavy with reinforcement added. I can't say its top heavy at all with a standard body.

If I rip or break a race body I just add some Shoe Goo to the inside to help it stay together for the rest of the season.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #307
Rock Stacker

I have reinforced a few bodies with different ways. shoe glue, drywall tape & shoe glue, duct tape and plastidip spray. I found that reinforcing the front up just past the body post holes and all the way adound the lower edges with drywall tape and shoe glue works great. this is where most of the damage occurs. unless you spend a lot of time upside down, reinforcing the top only makes it top heavy. here is me latest atempt at a light weight reinforcement in an 8th scale body. drywall tape & shoe goop in the front and 3 layers plastidip spray around the lower edge. it seem to be holding up pretty good

BasicMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #308

Alright so I got an onboard alarm a little while ago. It was around 3.00 and I ordered it when I got some new batteries.

The beep is really loud, it gives individual cell voltage and overall voltage too. But I forgot one thing. I need a a balance plug extension. So that will be on the next order.

As far as batteries. After using my 3800mah 2 cell packs since 2009 they are finally starting to die. So I picked a couple of these up.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #309
Quarry Creeper

Why? Doesn't your esc have lipo cut off? Or is it so it alarms BEFORE you get to the cut off?
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
Why? Doesn't your esc have lipo cut off? Or is it so it alarms BEFORE you get to the cut off?
My ESC does have a lipo cut off, but I don't want to have it hit the cut off while racing. To monitor how much life I can get out of my batteries I got this. So batteries won't die during a race and I won't be changing batteries out too frequently.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:26 AM   #311
Quarry Creeper

Fair enough.

We've actually got a 6hour Enduro (not rally) coming up where a lipo cut off will come in handy, so you know when to pit while hopefully still under full power.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #312
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
Fair enough.

We've actually got a 6hour Enduro (not rally) coming up
This sounds awesome. What are the details? Is there a thread somewhere?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #313
Quarry Creeper

No real thread yet, other than the entry list. Basically, on road touring cars, 17.5t blinky, maximum 2 sets of tyres, one motor, one chassis, 6hrs race time. 4 drivers per team. Penalties for change of chassis/motor. Driver must change at each battery change. Gonna need a few batteries.... Should be good fun. 20sec lap times = about 1080 laps!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #314
Rock Crawler

What shocks are you using? You said you would upgrade to 3.5"-4" shocks at the beginning of the thread, but I didn't really see anything come from that. I probably just missed it, but would you mind clarifying what you are using?
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro racer View Post
What shocks are you using? You said you would upgrade to 3.5"-4" shocks at the beginning of the thread, but I didn't really see anything come from that. I probably just missed it, but would you mind clarifying what you are using?
Post number 35 shows the shocks I changed out too. The rear shocks are from the front of a Tamiya 12th scale truck called the Titan (DT-02 I believe). The front shocks are from a Tamiya TB-01 with Losi white springs. I have been meaning to upgrade to some aluminum threaded body shocks, but have been a little lazy with my research due to these working really well.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #316

Still love this car!

That is all.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #317
Rock Crawler

where did you get your personal driver decals? I need some K. Hine ones.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #318

GJM made them. He has offered to make those and the "proper" number decals for the guys competing in the Colorado Rally Championship. Send him a PM and I am sure you guys can work it out.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #319

Ok , Y'all,

I'm in love w/ the xv-01, going to swap my current brushed system:
- 35A Dynamite 12T ESC, Also have a Tamiya Sport-Tuned(Mabuchi 540)
and a GT-Tuned 25T(rebuildable) Tammy motor into a 1/2 built TA05V.2 when it's ready for Electronics...

I'm thinking a Hobbywing EZRUN combo from Hobbypartz,
35A ESC, Program. card and a 9T 4300KV brushless motor...

Check it out HERE.

I'm also going to try a Fly-Sky FS-GT-3B(Check it out HERE) pistol Tx as my first surface radio...
Tried FlySky's 6 ch air system about 3 yrs ago, not too pleased,

Their surface Tx's are gettin Great reviews on all sites I've looked at...

For 40 Bucks w/ Rx, $7.50ish per addit'l rx, I'd be nuts not to try it out.

Ultimate RC has given this radio a huge thumbs up, I trust his reviews(just look at his 'durability Montage" segments on Youtube...)

What say you?
HSteve5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #320

Since I'm here:

I'm new to tires. Everyone I've talked/chatted/Txt'd/FB'd says they are the critical element.

Turtle,
You are primarily sticking w/ stock tires, although tweaked, correct?

I'm about 2 miles outside of D/T Denver by East High School, so I'm running my car mainly on asphalt P/Lots and local running trails around City Park and vicinity(mainly fine gravel or plain dirt). I would say 75% asphalt, 25% trail....
I tried the soft slicks that came w/ tmy TA05V.2 as well as the stock blocks,, much better performance on pavement, not so much on dirt/gravel, but good performance from my POV.

I'm looking at street 26mm tires w/ some tread mainly tamiya., I'm just confused re: other manufacturers and their compounds, kind of like a newbie(ME!) and shock oil...

Should I look at other brands or am I overthinking this?
If you link me to a thread in this forum, I'll be really embarrassed, 'cause I searched 3x b4 posting this...

Last edited by HSteve5280; 12-10-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Clarity
HSteve5280 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/400591-turtles-modified-xv-01-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Querendo começar no Rally This thread Refback 02-20-2013 09:13 AM
Slash Garage This thread Refback 02-14-2013 05:06 PM

Turtle's Modified XV-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turtle's Modified DF03ra TURTLE Rally 83 04-10-2014 02:38 AM
Turtle's Modified TB01 TURTLE Rally 78 03-08-2013 01:57 AM
Turtle's Modified DF01 TURTLE Rally 17 08-15-2012 07:05 PM
Turtle's skeeter TURTLE EnRoute Berg 36 06-07-2009 05:02 PM