Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Turtle's Modified XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2014, 11:37 PM   #421

Default Re: Turtle's Modified XV-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
After that it was time to remove more slop from the rear end, by replacing the last of stock ball ends. These Traxxas 2742X rod ends are also all over the front end.

Does anybody knows part number for those pivot balls ? I got RPM Rod ends (80471) but i need those PB to get working, thanks in advance.

Turtle have you got any specific setup for your XV ? (Cambers,toes etc)
Skyggedans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #422
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyggedans View Post
Does anybody knows part number for those pivot balls ? I got RPM Rod ends (80471) but i need those PB to get working, thanks in advance.

Turtle have you got any specific setup for your XV ? (Cambers,toes etc)
The Traxxas ones in the photo above or the sway bar ones? As for camber, toe, etc... a little in and a little out. I don't have any tools for camber or toe I just eyeball it.

Some photos courtesy of Ben B. from CRC #2 of 2015.

TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #423
Pebble Pounder

Great pictures again! Looks like a lot of fun.
EncoreuneMod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #424

Tons of fun!

Joe J. grabbed my camera and shot a couple photos in the 2nd round of the 2015 CRC series.

Old 11-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #425

Quote:
Sorry missed your question. On the other topic: What if you made small mud flaps that attached to the front of the A-arms to keep rocks from kicking up?

The pivot balls I used are Traxxas I think, which ever ones are really short and 3mm. I can't remember exactly what they are as I grabbed them out of a big bin of misc. rod ends I had. They are very distinct looking I could tell you if I saw them...

Scratch that I think this is them. I can check the car tomorrow to double check.
TowerHobbies.com | Traxxas Rod End Ball Screw Connector B/E
Can you recall the length of turnbuckles are needed and which brand? Looking on tower but that section is so disorganized I'm having a hard time
snipcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:14 PM   #426
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipcod View Post
Can you recall the length of turnbuckles are needed and which brand? Looking on tower but that section is so disorganized I'm having a hard time
Are you talking about the the turnbuckles needed on all four corners? Those are 3mm x 23mm. Something like these...
bvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #427

Finally the rest of the rebuild I did a couple months ago.

New aluminum pulleys and HD belt.

New differentials with metal spider gears. I am still running 15k front and 3k rear.

Under chassis to cover up all the holes, I roughed up the chassis and added a couple drops of super glue to keep it in place. I also put all the screws in after the chassis protector. This makes maintenance much easier and helps hold the chassis protector in place.

And all back together.

And now all caught up!
Old 11-16-2014, 11:24 PM   #428

Now that things are caught up. Here are some current shots of the car. 3 events in to the 2015 CRC series with 40 races already completed. The new formatting we adopted this season is awesome for the amount of racing we get, but makes it so I have to do a lot more maintenance on the car.

As of right now the car is pretty worked over. I was experiencing some browning out at the last race, so on my plate before the next event is to change out the servo to a newer 1251mg Low Profile servo, new Kimbrough servo saver, add a CC BEC, rebuild the suspension and clean/replace the bearings. Hopefully that will get her back into top form.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:32 PM   #429

And triple posting tonight!

Found a couple photos of the FF14 XV01 at 40th Street Raceway, event #3 of the 2015 Colorado Rally Championship.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #430
Rock Crawler

Truly bad a$$! Looks amazing. I've been into mainly class 1, crawling and trailing. But lately I've been craving to build and run a rally car. Starting out with an xv01 pro, Tamiya's Celica GT FOUR shell. Not sure weather to go brushless or not. Brand new to this side of things so this should prove to be interesting. Great job!
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #431
Rock Crawler

It's A Crap!
bvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #432

No photos today. But I did go through the car. The first thing I did was pull off the rear shocks, they were completely seized. I started to pull them apart and found that the rubber bushings on the bottom were completely dried out, not rotted, but so dry they caused very heavy friction. I pulled them out and covered them in Team Associated Slime, then coated them in 30 weight oil. I then coated the shock shafts in slime and good as new. Some fresh oil and a good cleaning and they are good as new. I just used 30 weight oil for the time being. The front seemed to be fine, but I will go through those as well in the next week.

Next step was to figure out a browning out issue I was having and a lack of power in the steering. The Savox low profile 1251mg that was in my car has been in my car pretty much since I built it and I think was getting tired. So I put one in that I had sitting around that had very minimal use, a new kimbrough servo saver and then a Castle Creations BEC. I wired the BEC to power the servo through the receiver. The browning out issues seem to have gone away for the time being. I hope to put a couple packs through the car tomorrow and see if I worked out all the bugs I was experiencing at the last race.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #433

Still having trouble with my shocks so I went ahead and tracked down the most expensive shocks I possibly could.

Build coming tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:07 AM   #434

I ordered Losi Mini 8 shocks, fronts for the front and rears for the rear. I ordered 14 bags of parts, a couple extra bags so I had everything I needed when it came time to rebuild them. I also order all the upgrade parts, figured I would do this all the way.

Started with the rear shocks.

They went together easily and are incredibly smooth. I also went with the ti-nitrate shock shafts and the hard anodized bodies.

After that I moved onto the fronts. For the front I did have to change the rod ends out so I could get the belly clearance up. Eventually I will do the same to the rear as well. For oil I went with 30 rear and 45 front, with losi black springs rear and losi gold springs front.

After that I went ahead and changed the stock gear mesh, from 77/23 to 79/22.

I have also had these knuckle carriers for a couple months now and finally decided to put them on.

I then took the car for a test drive, got a little reckless and hit the corner of a building at top speed, it turned my body inside out, broke my drivers, broke my underbody and also broke the front shock tower mount.

I spent the rest of the afternoon fixing my mistake and stealing the part I broke off my 2wd XV-01.

After all that she is back together with a little decal change.

Rally tomorrow, the one stage rally of the season and I can't wait!
Old 11-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #435
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for sharing your adventures Turtle's.

Good luck with the race, (the bad luck was with that building kiss!)
EncoreuneMod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:44 PM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncoreuneMod! View Post
Thanks for sharing your adventures Turtle's.

Good luck with the race, (the bad luck was with that building kiss!)
It has been my pleasure, I just hope everyone who reads this can take something away from it and learn what it means to be obsessive compulsive with an XV-01.

Thank you for the well wishes. The race was tons of fun today, we made the stage roughly 1/2 mile long. The bad luck persisted on the first stage of the day, with my steering completely binding and me loosing a minute on stage. But the following three stages were great, with no issues with the car whatsoever. I got 30 minutes of stage time today and besides the freezing temperatures it was a great day out with friends and rally cars.

With the freezing temperatures today and the stage format everyone was running at the same time so there really isn't much coverage from todays event, but Kirt (BVRC) managed to get one photo of my XV-01 lined up ready to start the stage.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:56 PM   #437
Rock Crawler

Been sticking to this thread very closely, I know I won't be doing nearly the comp. you do, but I'd like to have my car set up for it, the ability to do it and drive the part. Think I've spent right at what the pro kit costs in mods and still no car yet . Next up are steel diff gears, CVDs and motor. Great thread btw.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #438
Rock Crawler

Quick question for any seasoned racer that sees this. Do guys make use of the drag brake any for those quick pivots around tight turns I'm seeing? It looks like when they let off the throttle the car almost stops until the ass end kicks around. I know I use the drag brake on my trail trucks all the time, trailing or not, not too sure about rally though.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokdl View Post
Been sticking to this thread very closely, I know I won't be doing nearly the comp. you do, but I'd like to have my car set up for it, the ability to do it and drive the part. Think I've spent right at what the pro kit costs in mods and still no car yet . Next up are steel diff gears, CVDs and motor. Great thread btw.
Thank you! If you can't find what you are looking for in this thread it probably doesn't exist. But ask away and I am sure someone will chime in with some good info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokdl View Post
Quick question for any seasoned racer that sees this. Do guys make use of the drag brake any for those quick pivots around tight turns I'm seeing? It looks like when they let off the throttle the car almost stops until the ass end kicks around. I know I use the drag brake on my trail trucks all the time, trailing or not, not too sure about rally though.

Personally I run 20% drag brake in my car. It helps the car brake free as I prepare to slide into a corner. As the rear brakes free I give it some throttle to control the slide. On gravel it works great, but on tarmac, like last weekend, I did have to brake pretty hard into the tarmac hairpins we had on the stage rally course.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:25 AM   #440
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thank you! If you can't find what you are looking for in this thread it probably doesn't exist. But ask away and I am sure someone will chime in with some good info.

Personally I run 20% drag brake in my car. It helps the car brake free as I prepare to slide into a corner. As the rear brakes free I give it some throttle to control the slide. On gravel it works great, but on tarmac, like last weekend, I did have to brake pretty hard into the tarmac hairpins we had on the stage rally course.
Agree with you there! Learned so much from this thread alone .
As for the drag brake, I sort of had a suspicion that was the case, I guess it all comes down to the style of driving and the road course as well. Tarmac being sticky, more drag brake needed to help plow through the turn. I plan on starting out with say 10% and work my way up from there as my skill improves. Much appreciation for answering all these newbie questions I have . So cant wait to get started.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/400591-turtles-modified-xv-01-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Querendo começar no Rally This thread Refback 02-20-2013 09:13 AM
Slash Garage This thread Refback 02-14-2013 05:06 PM

Turtle's Modified XV-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turtle's Modified DF03ra TURTLE Rally 83 04-10-2014 02:38 AM
Turtle's Modified TB01 TURTLE Rally 78 03-08-2013 01:57 AM
Turtle's Modified DF01 TURTLE Rally 17 08-15-2012 07:05 PM
Turtle's skeeter TURTLE EnRoute Berg 36 06-07-2009 05:02 PM