Notices

Thread: Turtle's Modified XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #461
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Turtle's Modified XV-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
And the detail on the hpi isn't even close to this one. That one is a long since disco'd tamiya. I have more photos of the body in the non crawler section.
Ok ill go look. I'm now sold on getting one. Listed my 5th up for sell this morning. Don't use it anyways. Once its gone I'll order a Rally. Just gotta get my hands on the Fiesta and the 22B bodies.
KauseKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #462
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KauseKaos View Post
Ok ill go look. I'm now sold on getting one. Listed my 5th up for sell this morning. Don't use it anyways. Once its gone I'll order a Rally. Just gotta get my hands on the Fiesta and the 22B bodies.
Best of luck! There is a current 22B body with really good detail, it has separate bumpers that are glued/taped in place, but from local experience DO NOT BUY IT!

They seem to be made of glass. BVRC has first hand experience and it is disappointing to say the least.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:43 AM   #463
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Best of luck! There is a current 22B body with really good detail, it has separate bumpers that are glued/taped in place, but from local experience DO NOT BUY IT!

They seem to be made of glass. BVRC has first hand experience and it is disappointing to say the least.
Please say it isn't this one. I wanted it because of the light buckets.

PAB-137

*** Yeah if your talking about the wagon body he had then yes its the same company. Guess I'll stick with the HPI 22B since its my only other option.

Last edited by KauseKaos; 01-10-2015 at 01:09 AM.
KauseKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #464
Rock Stacker

Turtle, are you running DCJs in the front?
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Turtle, are you running DCJs in the front?
What?

Are you talking about CVDs? If so then yes. One of the first upgrades I did. It increases steering angle quite a bit and is pretty necessary for the tracks we run.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:56 PM   #466
Rock Stacker

I installed the 42mm yesterday as well. Guy on RCtech said that he had problems on the TC version with them.. Said they binded.

Glad to know yours are working fine
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
I installed the 42mm yesterday as well. Guy on RCtech said that he had problems on the TC version with them.. Said they binded.

Glad to know yours are working fine
Just looked through the thread and I installed CVDs on 10/6/2012. I am still running the same ones and have only rebuilt them once. I think all the guys in our CRC series are running CVDs and I have not heard of anyone having issues. The TC. Should be identical so chances are he got a blem version or he is doing something wrong...

Part number for the CVD shafts should be 53501. The rears are a different length, so maybe he accidently got those.

Last edited by TURTLE; 01-27-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #468

Hey ty, did you have to change anything to get the mini 8ight shocks to fit or are they basically direct fit?
Europhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:21 PM   #469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europhoenix View Post
Hey ty, did you have to change anything to get the mini 8ight shocks to fit or are they basically direct fit?
Nope, they were a direct fit.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #470

Quote:
Nope, they were a direct fit.
Awesome that might be one of my next upgrades I do to it.
Europhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:58 AM   #471

Ok, so I have pretty much read this thread from start to finish over the last few weeks, and I think I need to by this car. Well, I don't NEED it, rather I WANT it. I am a plank flyer, mainly 30cc and 50cc aerobatic planes, and a few warbirds....technically a lot more difficult to build and fly yet sometimes I just want something to tool around with.
I used to race my TB Evo 4 (I have two of them that are stripped, cleaned and back in their boxes) but since the local track got closed, and we are waiting for a new one to open. I have nothing to tool around with, on the ground. I live in the UAE, and there is no rallying here really, just tons of loose, difficult sand. Its problematic as it gets in everywhere, but its not gonna hurt like snow/water. ...I just want to bash around with it. I had a Traxxas Slash years ago, but it was more headache than it was worth, and without other people to race with...a little superfluous to requirements.

I love Tamiya though, and even just having it on display in my workshop, would be nice. I have a whole bunch of unbuilt stuff, Sand Scorchers, Bruisers and a few collectors things, but I want to just be able to charge a pack, and go out and mess around :-)

I have put a shopping list together from RCmart, in order to minimize shipping costs, I am trying to order from one place, there are no local suppliers. Let me know what you guys think of this list...and suggest what I might still need.

58562 Tamiya 1:10 XV-01 Subaru XV EP - Went for this, as I don't want the Lancia, very nice, but decals are a 'mare, and it wont fit over the bumper.
54453 Tamiya XV-01 Carbon Graphite Damper Stay Rear fits PRO TC - Rather than the extended ones, but if longer shocks would be better, then will think again. Suggest?
54452 Tamiya XV-01 Carbon Graphite Damper Stay Front fits PRO TC - As above
54378 Tamiya XV-01 Slipper Clutch Set - Not sure if this is needed, wont be doing big jumps, if any at all...and cant be bothered with more pinions
54377 Tamiya XV-01 Separate Suspension Mounts (1XM) - Necessary upgrade it would appear
54376 Tamiya XV-01 Separate Suspension Mounts (1XJ) - Necessary upgrade
54379 Tamiya XV-01 Aluminum Suspension Mount (XJ) - Necessary Upgrade
50597 Tamiya Damper O-Ring(RD) - Not sure if they are any worse than the stock ones.
54448 Tamiya XV-01 Reinforced Belt 573mm - Will wear the stock one out first....or before it scraps the pulleys
54454 Tamiya XV-01 Aluminum Steering Brideg fits PRO T TC FF-03 Uprade Set - Could be useful, stronger
42259 Tamiya 5mm Red Gear Differential O-Rings - People say they are better than the stock affairs.
54465 Tamiya XV-01 Spring Set - Hard / Medium / Soft - Necessary?
53989 Tamiya Center Pulley (18T) - these would work better than stock plastics, but may not be as good as the alloy ones, but they are a lot cheaper.

Sweep Green Grease oil For Metal, Shock O-rings 5g #SW0022 - for sealing shock O-rings and diff o-rings
Yeah Racing Titanium Screw Assorted Set with FREE Mini box for Tamiya XV-01 #TS-XV-01 - might be better than the phillips things they come with.

OK, so things I KNOW I am missing, but it's because RC Mart don't have them in stock.

Front CV Joints and shafts - I think I can use the assembly CV Joints and 42mm shafts, is that right?
Shocks - I think the std shocks will work, with the longer ball joint connector, but I would like to have decent travel all the way through the range of the suspension motion

I am compiling some other things I may need, I will edit this post as I go on...

Last edited by Thump Wallop; 03-01-2015 at 04:10 AM. Reason: ETA: Update
Thump Wallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #472

Wow.....gone quiet in here! LOL
Old 03-05-2015, 01:09 AM   #473
Rock Stacker

Just build the kit, and include the slipper clutch. As you break things, replace them with the upgrades. I have the Yeah racing kit in both of my xv-01's and haven't broken those yet. It looks like you have a good list here though.
Ell206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:46 AM   #474

Hey! A reply....there is still life here.

Your advise is good advise, but there is a curve ball here....as mentioned, I live in Dubai, so getting things shipped here is a lengthy process, I don't have the luxury of speedy delivery. My plan is to buy all the parts I need and fit them from the get-go. That way, if anything breaks, I have the luxury of the stock part to use until the next order goes through. Placing orders for individual items is not economically viable, I would need to get a group of parts.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #475

Hey Thump Wallop,

I would go with just the slipper as Ell206 mentioned. The only thing I would buy in addition if I were you would be additional tires, wheels and another bodyset.

As for the other stuff just buy is off ebay in the future.
Pingu_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:33 PM   #476

Finally have a minute to post!

Race #9 of the 2015 CRC series is in the books, a beautiful day and plenty of great racing. Besides the car feeling a little gritty she worked great.

A photo of how our HOON470 track looked after the day of racing.

And me working on my pilots license.

Over 100 races on my car this season, equating to somewhere around 5 hours of competitive driving, plus practice and the car is doing well. Body is pretty rough, but has held up better then anything I have used before.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #477
AKB

I have a question for you rally fans....besides the decals that come with some of the body kits, are you having any luck finding scale rally or any other contemporary motorsport decals/graphics from anywhere else?
I'm having trouble finding anything "rally racing like", especially in the usual spots...Tower, Amain etc...
A lot of old drag racing brands and stuff...

Thanks!
Adam
AKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #478
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKB View Post
I have a question for you rally fans....besides the decals that come with some of the body kits, are you having any luck finding scale rally or any other contemporary motorsport decals/graphics from anywhere else?
I'm having trouble finding anything "rally racing like", especially in the usual spots...Tower, Amain etc...

Thanks!
Adam
this is a good topic... We should make an official thread for rally decals/etc.

People have their own vinyl cutters...

I often use left overs from other bodies...

Ebay can have good things at times.

Check these places too...

R2 Hobbies

[URL="http://www.rcmart.com/body-light-body-decals-c-438_267.html"]RC
bvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #479
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKB View Post

Thanks!
Adam
You'll probably get more hits in the the main part of the Rally Section, rather than one individuals thread - but I get of a lot of my custom work done by Carl at - customracingstickers@gmail.com. He's pretty good at designing what you want based off drawings and/or internet images. I've used him 5 or 6 times now. Brilliant work and great pricing. Being custom work, it take a few weeks though depending on what's involved.
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #480

Hi guys, sorry to slightly hijack your thread but having read it with great interest I thought you might be a brilliant place to ask…..
I’m after a bit of help (well quite a lot really). I’m totally new to LiPo, as in never used them before and I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed and confused right now.
I’ve just ordered a XV-01 pro from the US (I’m in the UK) so not got it in front of me to get any measurements. These kits are virtually impossible to track down right now. Anyway heres my story, I’m sure you’ll have had experience of (fingers crossed)….
I want to put the following components in the build what’s your feeling on it?

Battery: Turnigy 5200 30c hard case LiPo (don’t know if this fits)
Charger: No idea too confused!! please suggest……
Servo: Savox 1251
ESC/Motor: Castle Combo - Sidewinder 3 - 5700kv

Please could someone tell me what connectors I would need to connect a Turnigy battery to a Castle Sidewinder 3 ESC? I don’t think the Castle has anything on its power wires? Do these need to be ordered seperately?
What would be a good charger to compliment this size battery. I doubt I’ll be going above 2S, don’t think they (3s hard case) fit the XV so I don't need anything (batteries or charger) too fancy but would like it to be safe and fairly quick without being stupid about it.
One last thing, what sort of run time would one of the batteries give on an XV?

Sorry about asking these questions that must have been asked before (many times probably). I have tried to search for the answers on here and various other sites but though my lack of knowledge I just got more confused!!

There are just so many options for everything.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
SxJT is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/400591-turtles-modified-xv-01-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Querendo começar no Rally This thread Refback 02-20-2013 09:13 AM
Slash Garage This thread Refback 02-14-2013 05:06 PM

Turtle's Modified XV-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turtle's Modified DF03ra TURTLE Rally 83 04-10-2014 02:38 AM
Turtle's Modified TB01 TURTLE Rally 78 03-08-2013 01:57 AM
Turtle's Modified DF01 TURTLE Rally 17 08-15-2012 07:05 PM
Turtle's skeeter TURTLE EnRoute Berg 36 06-07-2009 05:02 PM