Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Turtle's Modified XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #501
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Turtle's Modified XV-01

FYI Tamiya USA is blowing out the XV01T For $99!
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #502
Rock Stacker

Wait. Do you remember how much you spent? Because I asked the same question to BVRC, and he said that he can't remember how much, but he knows that he spent a lot of money.
rally racer #75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:34 PM   #503
Gettin’ back on the horse

Four events in to the 5th season of the Colorado Rally Championship. Car has not been driving well for most of the season, but threw a Hail Mary Saturday afternoon and put some Rally Legends tires on and 30k in both diffs and she couldn't have gotten much better for the ice. Another win in the books.

Attached Images

Last edited by TURTLE; 09-26-2016 at 11:08 AM.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #504
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Four events in to the 5th season of the Colorado Rally Championship. Car has not been driving well for most of the season, but threw a Hail Mary Saturday afternoon and put some Rally Legends tires on and 30k in both diffs and she couldn't have gotten much better for the ice. Another win in the books.

So much grip you can turn the world upside down and it still sticks to the ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pixelnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #505

Ha ha! I have no idea why the photo is upside down. I'll fix it later.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #506
Rock Stacker

Quote:
So the other thing that I think has been causing issues with my XV-01 is all the mud I run in jamming things up. On top of that I am sick of cleaning mud out of the entire chassis. So it was time for an underbody. With the fenders and the squareness of the chassis it was pretty straight forward. I also figured out a way to mount it without attaching it by just using the body to hold it down. It won't be water tight, but should keep 99% of the junk out and allow the electronics to breath a little better.

1mm (I think) Black styrene sheet tacked together with CA glue then Shoe Goo seam sealed.

Hey Ty,
When you made this underbody did you eliminate the small ESC vent you made and shared earlier in the thread? Also, have you gained new insights on under body's since this post?
KellyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyC View Post
Hey Ty,
When you made this underbody did you eliminate the small ESC vent you made and shared earlier in the thread? Also, have you gained new insights on under body's since this post?
I did! I removed the cover from the underside so the electronics are completely open. I trimmed the cover so it's only purpose now is to hold the wheel arch in place. Other then that it's pretty much the same. I am running a new cover, but it's identical to the one above apart from the vent.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:01 PM   #508
Rock Stacker

So is this rally car still running I couldn't put down my phone reading about the xv-01, what is the car to have on the track today, I looked up the xv-01 not much for body options as a kit and I don't see the long travel kit as a option now on tower hobbies or the bay

Last edited by Lost_Frequency; 03-31-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Lost_Frequency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:05 PM   #509

Hey Lost,

I think they've cut the offerings back to the core rally kits but most Tamiya and other 1/10 bodies will fit as long as they're not too low in the nose.
I think all the parts from the long travel conversion as well as most spares are still in good availability at places like Banzai Hobby and it is still a popular rally kit here in Aus as well as being flexible enough to be a very good drifter, touring car or even a semi decent truck!

Cheers,
Crouch
CamoCrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:07 PM   #510
Rock Stacker

Thanks!! I was just about to start a new thread
Lost_Frequency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #511
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. It does fit if the front bumper and brace are trimmed.

We had the 4th event of the CRC series yesterday on a very fast track with some pretty sticky wet dirt. The car got weighed down and started having issues...

I have still been having belt issues and I haven't really been able to figure out why. I am thinking it is the massive amount of power and the span of the belt coupled with the tensioner being in the very back and it is allowing the belt to twist on the front pulley. So I picked up a couple bearings.

And came up with a idea.

Its basically a tensioner, same style as the rear one, two bearings with washers on the ends. Hopefully it helps keep the belt from twisting. I can already tell it is allowing the belt to be tensioned a little tighter.
Thanks for this mod! It seems that it can prevent the belt from flapping when full power is applied...
haplm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #512
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplm View Post
Thanks for this mod! It seems that it can prevent the belt from flapping when full power is applied...
The best mod out there! After a few pack of serious abuse, those belts need the extra help.
bvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:19 AM   #513

Quote:
It really does help!

Long over due for some updates, but until now I really haven't come up with much. But the excitement of the carbon fiber chassis and my desperate need for a rebuild has got me tinkering.

I went ahead and made a 1/2" spacer for the rear shock tower so I could run 4" shocks with standard 2wd Losi buggy springs.

They are 3mm carbon fiber that I cut of an old quadcopter frame.

The previous shock I was running in the rear. I will need to put the rear sway bar back on, but these will make it easier to tune and find springs.

After some testing, assuming this works I will order some carbon fiber and cut a solid piece for the rear shock tower.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:48 AM   #514
Rock Stacker

Quote:

After some testing, assuming this works I will order some carbon fiber and cut a solid piece for the rear shock tower.
I'm just going to do the same thing with the front tower. Patrik (Cirus) already has a design for CF front tower that allows mounting 85mm shocks. I will post some pictures once I get it...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #515

Quote:
I'm just going to do the same thing with the front tower. Patrik (Cirus) already has a design for CF front tower that allows mounting 85mm shocks. I will post some pictures once I get it...

I have been trying to work out how to do the front as well, without raising the body posts or having to relocate them. I am a hair stumped so I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:50 PM   #516

Gathering parts for a rebuild.

I have been thinking about trying these double cardan CVDs out for a while now and I finally bit the bullet. Increased steering angle and decreased steering hop were the big selling points for me.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:05 AM   #517
Rock Stacker

Nice. I love those double cardans...

May i ask you about the the Losi springs? Do they fit 75mm Gmade shocks?

Old 10-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #518

Quote:
Nice. I love those double cardans...

May i ask you about the the Losi springs? Do they fit 75mm Gmade shocks?

I haven't had any Gmade shocks, but I did use them on the shorter shocks I was running before. I like them because of how low of a spring rate is available. I think they go all the way to 1.2lbs.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #519
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Gathering parts for a rebuild.

I have been thinking about trying these double cardan CVDs out for a while now and I finally bit the bullet. Increased steering angle and decreased steering hop were the big selling points for me.

I have had those on mine for a while. Did you swap out the 44 mm shaft for the 42 mm?
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #520
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I like them because of how low of a spring rate is available. I think they go all the way to 1.2lbs.
So what shocks are you using now? I have Gmade, but they have 14mm body, and 19mm ID springs. This is rather rare diameter, so I'm unable to find soft enough springs (less than 3.2). Because of that, I'm thinking about switching back to 12mm shocks (TRF, Losi, TA, etc.).

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/400591-turtles-modified-xv-01-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Querendo começar no Rally This thread Refback 02-20-2013 09:13 AM
Slash Garage This thread Refback 02-14-2013 05:06 PM

Turtle's Modified XV-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turtle's Modified DF03ra TURTLE Rally 83 04-10-2014 02:38 AM
Turtle's Modified TB01 TURTLE Rally 78 03-08-2013 01:57 AM
Turtle's Modified DF01 TURTLE Rally 17 08-15-2012 07:05 PM
Turtle's skeeter TURTLE EnRoute Berg 36 06-07-2009 05:02 PM