Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Turtle's Modified XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #101
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Turtle's Modified XV-01

Tower is now showing the Carbon Reinforced parts as Order Pending I'm going to have to wait until after the new year but defiantly going to order the K&KK Steering parts. I keep breaking the front tie rod chassis connector (part K2). I'm on the third one. anyone need an extra battery cover?
BasicMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #102
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theibault View Post
Turtle, what gearing are you running? I believe you have the slipper so 48p what spur/pinion runs well with that 5700?
Umm... I think It's a 22 tooth... but most people don't consider my cars drivable and I try not to recommend the 5700kv motor because most consider my cars a bit too much to drive. I like it and it works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasicMods View Post
Tower is now showing the Carbon Reinforced parts as Order Pending I'm going to have to wait until after the new year but defiantly going to order the K&KK Steering parts. I keep breaking the front tie rod chassis connector (part K2). I'm on the third one. anyone need an extra battery cover?
You know us Colorado boys have a machinists in the group.

Next time you put one of those bell cranks on try some type of reinforcement, they always seem to break on the hole that is on the bottom. Also are you using a servo saver? I have not broken one since I put a servo saver on my XV-01.

Also Paul if you ever have A arm issues the XV-01T uses a different plastic compound for the arms, the plastic is almost rubbery, so "rubbery" that I couldn't break the arms off the tree, because no matter how many times I flexed them to break them off it did nothing. I ended up having to use scissors.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #103
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post

Also Paul if you ever have A arm issues the XV-01T uses a different plastic compound for the arms, the plastic is almost rubbery, so "rubbery" that I couldn't break the arms off the tree, because no matter how many times I flexed them to break them off it did nothing. I ended up having to use scissors.
Thanks Ty. I broke one of the rear a arms in a bad 3 cell roll. So I upgraded the A arms to the Yeah Racing aluminum a arms, but i'm having problems with the 2.6mm right rear king pin keeps slipping out. I need to drill & tap for a retainer screw, like the stock set up. I think the Aluminum a arms are way to stiff, like you said. so I'm going to upgrade again to the carbon reinforced ones next year.

I keep breaking the K2 part in the same place on both sides

I think I might know how the rear belt pulley got damaged. see the small rock wedged in in cover?

BasicMods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #104
Pebble Pounder

Turtle, are you running any Glitch Buster or UBEC with your Savox servos?

I recently upgraded mine to Savox 1258TG but sometimes when steering I get a sudden surge of acceleration. I´ve been reading around and seems like everyone around running Savox are also having to use these glitch buster capacitors.

cheers
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:58 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
Turtle, are you running any Glitch Buster or UBEC with your Savox servos?

I recently upgraded mine to Savox 1258TG but sometimes when steering I get a sudden surge of acceleration. I´ve been reading around and seems like everyone around running Savox are also having to use these glitch buster capacitors.

cheers
I use BECs for everything but the cars, even my mini Trophy truck needs a BEC, but the DF03ra, Losi rally, TB01, DT01 and XV01 have never had bec issues. With all of these cars I run the 1251mg low profile servo so that may have something to do with it. I general have a Mamba Max or Mamba Max Pro in the cars as well.

I agree though Savox servos are very power hungry, I have experienced it many times in other rigs, but with the low profile servo I have yet to have any issues.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #106
Rock Stacker

I believe the issue is between the servo- receiver. Savoks servos tend to have this issue when used with spektrum based receivers, but you only need the cap to fix it... Google it. You dont need a BEC. They sell plug in caps that fix the issue, i have heard only good things, and that they immediately fix the problem and they are cheap. Im guessing your using a spektrum based rx and perhaps TURTLE is using a futaba or somthing.
Trixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #107
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixxx View Post
I believe the issue is between the servo- receiver. Savoks servos tend to have this issue when used with spektrum based receivers, but you only need the cap to fix it... Google it. You dont need a BEC. They sell plug in caps that fix the issue, i have heard only good things, and that they immediately fix the problem and they are cheap. Im guessing your using a spektrum based rx and perhaps TURTLE is using a futaba or somthing.

I´m using Fly Sky GT3B´s receiver, but I also experience the same glitch in my Futaba 3PL, although the later seems not to support 6v servos.

By cap, are you referring to a capacitor? Earlier today I´ve ordered from ebay a novak glitch buster capacitor, which is then connected directly into a vacant receiver´ slot. Is that it?

Last edited by stormridersp; 01-30-2013 at 10:07 AM.
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #108
Rock Stacker

Yup!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #109

Quote:
Im guessing your using a spektrum based rx and perhaps TURTLE is using a futaba or somthing.
Oh your good!

So on the front end of my XV01 I was having trouble with the rod end popping off the joint on the knuckle, it started to drive me nuts and I swapped them outfor new ones, but for some reason still had the issue. So before the race last weekend I decided to swap them out for some more traditional rod ends. I used a cone washer in the knuckle to space the rod end up a little, put the piece of foam back on and ran a screw through the assembly. There is zero binding with this setup and I have not had an issues after 4 test sessions on tarmac and dirt so far. I left the stock pivot ball cups on the inside since I have never had one pop off. I think all the movement in the knuckle helped the issue persist, but the fix seems to be perfect so far. This setup just clears the wheel, there might be a centimeter or two between the wheel and the screw head. Either way it works.

A few photos.

Also with the warm January weather we have been having here in Colorado I noticed some excessive heat coming from the ESC. Instead of taking the cover off and opening up the compartment to all the stuff that flies through the chassis I decided to cut a hole in it and open it up to a vent that faces backwards. This should allow more air to flow around the ESC. Should also allow me to run in the snow and mud without issue. So far dry weather testing has been positive.

Testing and mods to continue as I need them.

-Ty
Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #110
Pebble Pounder

This thread pretty much sealed the deal for me, I need this kit.

So, this being my first rally RC, what ESCs should I be considering, if I want to run brushless? I'm not looking for the cheapest option, just one that fits the build.

Edit: Could I just get the older Mamba Max (not Pro) with a 5700kv motor? Or maybe the new waterproof Sidewinder 3 combo with a 5700kv for $130? I don't believe a sensored setup is needed here, right?

I'm really jealous of your cars, paints jobs and setups are amazing. I think I'll be going for the Evo X body, to match my 1:1

Last edited by MetalNut; 02-03-2013 at 02:39 AM.
MetalNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #111

I saw you posted in RPMJ's XV-01 thread, personally I think that is the motor and ESC combo you should go for. The MM Pro and 4600 combo will be more controllable and IMO is a better ESC then the Sidewinder. I really don't recommend the 5700 motor for any rally car, it is a fun thing, but I don't use half of the power and people who drive my car call the throttle too "touchy". It works for me, but no one that has driven my car likes the power setup I have because it is too much for them.

Good luck with your build, can't wait to see it.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #112
Rock Stacker

TURTLE, i know near the beginning you seemed to have high hopes for the XV-01, and you said it was great. Im curious, now that you've been around the block and back with it, what are your feels? Best Rally car yet, or....... Where does it stand? (regarding heat issues, my 3800kv in my TB01 is fine but my ESC gets very hot, i drilled holes in the clamshell, put a piece of screen and mounted a fan over it)
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #113

I still think this is the best driving, and handling 10th scale car ever. It had a few parts that were prone to breaking, but everything has its week spot, the XV-01 just had 2 or 3. Now that I have figured out the week spots in the car and found suitable replacements this car is as tough as anything else out there in this scale. I doubt anything else will come out for a long time that drives as well as this car and I plan to drive this thing long into the foreseeable future.

I really hope all platforms of the XV-01 become extremely popular. I am eagerly awaiting lots and lots of up hop and performance parts for this car.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #114
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I saw you posted in RPMJ's XV-01 thread, personally I think that is the motor and ESC combo you should go for. The MM Pro and 4600 combo will be more controllable and IMO is a better ESC then the Sidewinder. I really don't recommend the 5700 motor for any rally car, it is a fun thing, but I don't use half of the power and people who drive my car call the throttle too "touchy". It works for me, but no one that has driven my car likes the power setup I have because it is too much for them.

Good luck with your build, can't wait to see it.
I really appreciate the response. I'll take your advice and go with a lower KV motor, then, probably the 4600 as you suggested (and was mentioned in RPMJ's thread). But wouldn't the MM Pro be overkill? I ask since, once I put the ESC in the XV-01, I doubt I'd pull it out to reuse it somewhere else. Also, with a sensorless Mamba motor, what will the Pro give me in this setup that the "waterproof" Sidewinder 3 won't?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #115
Rock Stacker

The sidewinder is fine, but heats up if not geared just right. I have been running the sidewinder esc's since they came out, mostly because they are reliable, cost less and i have never had a NEED for anything more. Im currently running the sidewinder SCT 3800kv combo in my Tamiya TB-01 Rally car, and its perfect.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #116
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
The sidewinder is fine, but heats up if not geared just right. I have been running the sidewinder esc's since they came out, mostly because they are reliable, cost less and i have never had a NEED for anything more. Im currently running the sidewinder SCT 3800kv combo in my Tamiya TB-01 Rally car, and its perfect.
Ah, ok. I don't mind saving a little money, but I'm mostly after a factory-provided "waterproof" ESC. I know the Squirrel Plastidip method of waterproofing, but I think you see my point. Hrm. Choices, choices
Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #117

I never seem to have luck with the Sidewinder, the internal BEC is terrible and the get much hotter then the MM pro with these quick motors. In crawlers on brushed motors is the only place I have had a sidewinder actually work the way it was intended, all the go fast toys they don't seem to last. That is just my experience though. I still have several Sidewinders, but they no longer go in anything but crawlers.

With the XV-01 from my experience waterproof electronics aren't necessary, the electronics box keeps pretty much everything out. I have run mine in every weather condition so far and am still running my original electronics, apart from munching some gears in the servo before I put a servo saver on I have not had any issues.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #118
Pebble Pounder

Alright, screw it: buy once, cry once, right?

I'll go with the MMP / 4600kv combo, AMainHobbies seems to have it for a good price. If anything, I can always buy a second, chaper Tacon system to try out, but I'll always have the nice Castle setup.

Alright.. let the shopping begin
Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 AM   #119
Rock Stacker

If your military, or have a family member or friend who is military, ask them to order it for you direct from Castle. Castle are big military supporters and give an insane 30% discount to customers with a military email address. Im USN and have always gotten this discount, and on top of that when (IF) anything goes wrong, they have sent me NEW replacements for free without even returning the damaged unit. Just FYI if anyone didn't know. ...... On that same note, i did a few tours in Afghanistan, and in one of the larger bases, they had a little RC club house to give troops somthing to do during down time. This club was sponsored by Castle, and they gave us TONs of free brushless combo sets, and had free RC kits donated to the club. I love CC.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:55 AM   #120
Rock Stacker

I believe with military discount, the new waterproof sidewinder V3 combo is around $99.00 i think im ordering one with 4600kv later this week, ill use the new ESC with my 3800kv in my rally TB01, and the new 4600kv motor with my V2 sidewinder in my on-road car.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/400591-turtles-modified-xv-01-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Querendo começar no Rally This thread Refback 02-20-2013 09:13 AM
Slash Garage This thread Refback 02-14-2013 05:06 PM

Turtle's Modified XV-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turtle's Modified DF03ra TURTLE Rally 83 04-10-2014 02:38 AM
Turtle's Modified TB01 TURTLE Rally 78 03-08-2013 01:57 AM
Turtle's Modified DF01 TURTLE Rally 17 08-15-2012 07:05 PM
Turtle's skeeter TURTLE EnRoute Berg 36 06-07-2009 05:02 PM