Notices

Thread: Turtle's Modified XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #121
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Turtle's Modified XV-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixxx View Post
I believe with military discount, the new waterproof sidewinder V3 combo is around $99.00 i think im ordering one with 4600kv later this week, ill use the new ESC with my 3800kv in my rally TB01, and the new 4600kv motor with my V2 sidewinder in my on-road car.
I did NOT know about Castle's support of the military, that is very awesome. Sadly, I'm a civilian, but I have the utmost respect and appreciation for all members of our armed forces. As such, I will happily buy Castle's products and pay full price. That way, my tiny purchase will hopefully allow them to continue helping out our military.

And thank you for serving

Oh, and let me know how that Sidewinder V3 works out for you

Last edited by MetalNut; 02-04-2013 at 09:37 AM.
MetalNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #122
Rock Stacker

They really do go above and beyond. Most RC hobby companies (or any in general) that support military usually offer the standard 15%. when they told me 30% i couldn't believe it. They also go well beyond just the discount in regards to support to service members. They are an amazing company and customer support is just amazing, in my experience.
Trixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #123
Rock Stacker

Whatsup guys, I'm pretty new to the rc game and I appreciate all this information you put up here, pretty much sealed the deal for me on getting this xv-01. Just wanted to know if the Rally Legends RC bodies will fit on the xv-01 rally pro chassis? I can't seem to find anyone doing this.

I'm sure you know what they are, but here's the link. Body Kits
Ell206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #124
Pebble Pounder

Holy crap, those are awesome! I just fell in love with the Fiat 131 Abarth body! I would like to know if those fit as well, since I may just not order the body I've been looking at. I'll ask in the RCTech thread.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #125
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell206 View Post
Whatsup guys, I'm pretty new to the rc game and I appreciate all this information you put up here, pretty much sealed the deal for me on getting this xv-01. Just wanted to know if the Rally Legends RC bodies will fit on the xv-01 rally pro chassis? I can't seem to find anyone doing this.

I'm sure you know what they are, but here's the link. Body Kits
Well, that was quick. I just got confirmation on RCTech that they will. Apparently the bodies are based on the TB03 chassis, which has similar fit.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #126
Gettin’ back on the horse

They will infact fit, the only difference is the body post locations. Otherwise the wheel base is identical.

I have a couple of those RL bodies and some light kits, they are pretty amazing looking, plus there are a couple new bodies hitting the shelves soon!

We have a some what lengthy thread on Rally Legends here.
RC Rally Legends
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #127
Rock Crawler

I'm not 100% sure, I haven't messed with my Rally cars for a while but the Fiat body requires complete removal of the foam bumper I believe.

The Lancia Delta S4 fits, unglewd over on SBG did a nice build using that body on the XV-01. It has a little longer front end.
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #128
Rock Stacker

If I would have to remove the front bumper for that fiat body that would be a deal breaker on the rally legends stuff. I plan to use that foam bumper a lot!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #129

Quote:
If I would have to remove the front bumper for that fiat body that would be a deal breaker on the rally legends stuff. I plan to use that foam bumper a lot!
I will check the fit of the Fiat body on my XV-01 tomorrow.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #130
Pebble Pounder

Well gentlemen, my shopping list is now purchased and on its way. XV-01 Pro kit, supporting electronics (went with MMP and 4600kv motor), and... I went old school on the body / paint scheme. I decided to get the Evo body later, for an onroad/drift setup, but for the rally setup now... you'll see

I'm going to keep it secret for now. If the paint job turns out well, I think you all will like it. I didn't get the wheels I wanted (out of stock), but I'm working around it. It's not an original idea, but I haven't seen it on the XV-01 yet. Wish me luck, I'm so excited
Old 02-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #131
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I will check the fit of the Fiat body on my XV-01 tomorrow.
I appreciate you mayn!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #132

Quote:
I appreciate you mayn!
Sorry for the late reply. It does fit if the front bumper and brace are trimmed.

We had the 4th event of the CRC series yesterday on a very fast track with some pretty sticky wet dirt. The car got weighed down and started having issues...

I have still been having belt issues and I haven't really been able to figure out why. I am thinking it is the massive amount of power and the span of the belt coupled with the tensioner being in the very back and it is allowing the belt to twist on the front pulley. So I picked up a couple bearings.

And came up with a idea.

Its basically a tensioner, same style as the rear one, two bearings with washers on the ends. Hopefully it helps keep the belt from twisting. I can already tell it is allowing the belt to be tensioned a little tighter.

I also saw that metal steering parts and metal pulleys are available. Im going to pick those up and a HD belt and see if I can keep this one in one piece.

I have a couple other things I plan to change soon as well. When I get to them I will fill you guys in.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #133
waw
Quarry Creeper

it looks more and more clean with sands and dirt
thanks for the added information about the belt issue.. hope it does the trick..
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #134

So the other thing that I think has been causing issues with my XV-01 is all the mud I run in jamming things up. On top of that I am sick of cleaning mud out of the entire chassis. So it was time for an underbody. With the fenders and the squareness of the chassis it was pretty straight forward. I also figured out a way to mount it without attaching it by just using the body to hold it down. It won't be water tight, but should keep 99% of the junk out and allow the electronics to breath a little better.

1mm (I think) Black styrene sheet tacked together with CA glue then Shoe Goo seam sealed.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #135
Pebble Pounder

So, I'm confused. I have the Castle MMP with the 4600kv motor, all installed. I have a Futaba 4PL radio. I have to set the throttle to "reverse" on the transmitter in order to go through the MMP setup process. It then arms as it should. But when I press forward throttle, the car goes in reverse

So... I set the throttle setting back to "normal" on the transmitter, but then the MMP won't go through the setup process when I try to do it again. What the hell?

Last edited by MetalNut; 03-03-2013 at 12:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 AM   #136
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalNut View Post
So, I'm confused. I have the Castle MMP with the 4600kv motor, all installed. I have a Futaba 4PL radio. I have to set the throttle to "reverse" on the transmitter in order to go through the MMP setup process. It then arms as it should. But when I press forward throttle, the car goes in reverse

So... I set the throttle setting back to "normal" on the transmitter, but then the MMP won't go through the setup process when I try to do it again. What the hell?
Have you tried to switch the two outer wires from the esc to motor. Then Put radio on normal and try it again????
Crazyloon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #137
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyloon13 View Post
Have you tried to switch the two outer wires from the esc to motor. Then Put radio on normal and try it again????
I don't think you're supposed to switch the A/B/C wires, are you?

But either way, I figured it out. After some Google interaction, I realized there is actually a "motor direction" setting for the MMP via the Castle Link. So, I reversed the motor in there and now all is well.

However... I'm really NOT liking the MMP + Neucastle setup. It's horribly glitchy from stand-still, and then has a sudden surge of power as soon as it gets rolling a little. I set the "Punch Control" up to 100% even (so, completely reducing forward punch), and set the initial power to "High" as suggested. Still glitchy with the power surge.

I may just give up on this and get a sensored motor
Old 03-03-2013, 01:00 AM   #138
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalNut View Post
I don't think you're supposed to switch the A/B/C wires, are you?
Yeah you can switch them, all it will do is switch the motor to go the other direction. It's real common to do on twin motor planes and boat's. I've have it done on my Twin motor boat.. But I'm glad you got it fixed
Crazyloon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #139
Pebble Pounder

OH MY GOD! I figured it out!

So, on a hunch, I checked out the Beta firmware release notes, since I've been avoiding updating my stable firmware to Beta (I'm in the software industry, so, understand my hesitations). And look what I found in the 1.39 Beta release notes:

* Bug fix: Output power could jump inappropriately when motor is having difficulty starting. Could result in ESC damage.

I updated the firmware and the power surge is gone!!! Throttle is not MUCH better. I can't believe all this was due to a firmware bug *facepalm*
Old 03-03-2013, 01:52 AM   #140
Rock Stacker

Great mod TURTLE. Let us know how it goes. Did you take off the original tensioner or your using both?
Trixxx is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/400591-turtles-modified-xv-01-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Querendo começar no Rally This thread Refback 02-20-2013 09:13 AM
Slash Garage This thread Refback 02-14-2013 05:06 PM

Turtle's Modified XV-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turtle's Modified DF03ra TURTLE Rally 83 04-10-2014 02:38 AM
Turtle's Modified TB01 TURTLE Rally 78 03-08-2013 01:57 AM
Turtle's Modified DF01 TURTLE Rally 17 08-15-2012 07:05 PM
Turtle's skeeter TURTLE EnRoute Berg 36 06-07-2009 05:02 PM