Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: The More I Look...The More I Want!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default The More I Look...The More I Want!!!

So me being bored again on YouTube saw a sweet scale video of Tamiya's new XV-01 rally and the owner painted it up like a daily driver STI hatch. If only the XV-01 had other bodies available I'd jump all over it!

My DF-03Ra Subaru Monte Carlo WRC is getting lonely!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: The More I Look...The More I Want!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
If only the XV-01 had other bodies available I'd jump all over it!

You mean that come with the kit?

There are probably 30+ different bodies on the market that fit the XV01.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So me being bored again on YouTube saw a sweet scale video of Tamiya's new XV-01 rally and the owner painted it up like a daily driver STI hatch. If only the XV-01 had other bodies available I'd jump all over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
You mean that come with the kit?

There are probably 30+ different bodies on the market that fit the XV01.
just as Turtle wrote.. all you got to do is search the other tamiya shells.. and choose which one you'd prefer, it's plug n play (as they say)
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

No I meant specific to the kit i.e. matching wheels/more detailed colors/and driver body sets if applicable. I think it's just a matter of time before they release other versions. The DF-03Ra I remember had at least 4 or 5.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Go the 'Pro' for the extra goodies, then you'll be forced to choose your own body!

A little off topic, I see the XV is approaching it's 3rd edition - the Touring Car? Interesting how that will differ to the Rally Car?
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I was looking at the Pro....the biggest worry I have with Tamiya anything are their transmissions. I remember my first DF-03Ra even with the slipper installed running a 4700kv 2 pole Castle motor on a weak little 4000mah 25C 2s lipo pack shredded a couple of tranny gears since they are all plastic and the top plate that holds the tranny together came undone from all the power which probably lead to the bevel gears and drive gears stripping apart.

Now the car had no problems whatsoever on any of the Tamiya Sport Tuned cans on 2s but I wanted more speed.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

you could try an old TB01, chuck in the alloy motor mount, lift the suspension slightly and you've got a bomb proof motor that will handle just about anything you throw at it.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

After seeing all these awesome new releases towards the end of this quarter from scale desert buggies, more detailed short course trucks, scale drifters/GT/F1 racing cars, looks like scale rally is finally making a big enough comeback that all the major companies are supporting it!

I'm really leaning on the XV-01. Turtle what is your running gear on yours and have you had any tranny or diff issues? The Kyosho DRX VE would be my second choice followed by HPI's WR8. Rally racing is not about blasting through a parking lot...it's all about control and scale speed so you truly know how your car behaves.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
After seeing all these awesome new releases towards the end of this quarter from scale desert buggies, more detailed short course trucks, scale drifters/GT/F1 racing cars, looks like scale rally is finally making a big enough comeback that all the major companies are supporting it!

I'm really leaning on the XV-01. Turtle what is your running gear on yours and have you had any tranny or diff issues? The Kyosho DRX VE would be my second choice followed by HPI's WR8. Rally racing is not about blasting through a parking lot...it's all about control and scale speed so you truly know how your car behaves.
You got it chief, that is exactly what it is about.

I run a Castle Creations 4 pole 5700 motor over geared. It probably tops out somewhere in the 40mph area. But I don't use it, its just the way I like the throttle, punchy but enough torque to spin the tires at any speed. I have not had a single issue with the gears, I put the slipper clutch in a little while ago and it runs standard 48 pitch spur gears and is compatible with most Robinson or kimbrough spur gears I believe. I had to tighten the belt up a little after the first run and after that I have not touched the drivetrain. It works flawlessly and is by far the best 10th scale car on the market. The only week links I can find are the A-arm blocks and the steering bell crank, aside from those I have had no issues and absolutely love the car in every way.

I think you are right, scale is hitting the RC market hard, I think rally is here to stay.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Wow sounds now I'm seriously considering one...been reading about the Kyosho DRX VE and it's nice and all but being that odd ball size I have to only stick to their bodies.