Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Looking for a scale rally basher? Kyosho DRX VE vs HPI WR8 Flux vs Slash/Rally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Looking for a scale rally basher? Kyosho DRX VE vs HPI WR8 Flux vs Slash/Rally

Really want to get something scale and fun to bash on gravel/dirt roads.

I was set on getting the 4x4 Slash and throwing the proline rally body on it but it really doesn't look scale at all.

Then I was set on the HPI WR8 but I really don't like the Ken Block thing I am more into the vintage rally bodies like a Lancia or Audi even an older Subi would be cool. And it looks like there are no bodies for the WR8 right now or maybe never its sort of an oddball. Reviews have been really good so far...

That brings me to the Kyosho DRX looks the BEST to me BUT it also is the least bash-able from what I have read on here looks like it doesn't come the best set-up out of the box?

So what direction should I go? Right now I am leaning toward the HPI but Traxxas has way more support around me and maybe I could get a body that would look right with the right wheels. Though I have searched and no one has yet... I guess there is always the Traxxas with a Kyosho body?
subspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: Looking for a scale rally basher? Kyosho DRX VE vs HPI WR8 Flux vs Slash/Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by subspd View Post
I guess there is always the Traxxas with a Kyosho body?
Won't fit.

DRX is the best choice IMO.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Looking for a scale rally basher? Kyosho DRX VE vs HPI WR8 Flux vs Slash/Rally

Funny over on Ultimate RC they all said the WR8 but after reading the posts here I am expecting yours to be the answer I get the most... I do prefer the looks of the DRX VE over the WR8... tough call for sure! Anyone run both?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Funny over on Ultimate RC they all said the WR8 but after reading the posts here I am expecting yours to be the answer I get the most... I do prefer the looks of the DRX VE over the WR8... tough call for sure! Anyone run both?
I ran RPMJ's WR8 last week, the car drives good, but everything on it is 10th scale parts, basically everything is much smaller then the DRX when it comes to beef.

Im sure it is a durable car and HPI knows what they are doing when it comes to RC, but my main concern is breaking parts. The parts of the WR8 are the same size as my 10th scale rally cars and I break those all the time. To think that small parts on a big platform will last is a little dense.

I have been running my DRX hard for almost a year now. I have broken 2 6mm stub shafts and gone through 8 tires and that is it. There is rust all over mine from running in the snow, mud and rain and yet everything is still fine. While others have had issues I really have not. Im not nice to my cars either they get run hard, driven fast and crashed with style.

And here is the size comparison if that plays into at all for you.

From left to right

DRX, WR8, XV01, XV01, Atomik, DRX.

The other current issue with the WR8 is: Where are the parts? No one seems to have anything for the car. Im sure this will be remedied in the future, but the nitro version has been out for nearly 6 months and tires still are not available...

Plus look at the cool bodies available for the DRX
Solberg Subaru Body:

Lancia Stratos body

Custom painted Subaru Impreza

Ford Fiesta body

On top of these there is a Misubishi Lancer, the Demon, the Citreon C4 and A Audi A4.

My opinion maybe a little biased for the DRX, but from my perspective it is tried and true and still very scale in driving and looks.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Where is the Audi body?!?!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Where is the Audi body?!?!
rallyclassics.se
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

So what about tire and wheel choices what will fit the DRX? Sorry but never had a Kyosho anything... But I am thinking this will be my first!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #8

Quote:
So what about tire and wheel choices what will fit the DRX? Sorry but never had a Kyosho anything... But I am thinking this will be my first!
All that information is in the DRX threads on the first page of this section. Do a little bit of reading and it should all be revealed.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I really like my DRX but, I have learned the hard way that I can't drive it like I do my Slash. First run I ripped the spoiler half off, ripped the tire, & ground off a chunk of the rim. Second run I bent two of the dog bones, bent three of the control arm pins, & ripped the rear body post mount off.

I'm also adding the extra gears to the diff's, looking to get the upgraded dog bones, as well any other wroth while beef up's out there.

All I've done to my Slash is add RPM A-Arms and I bet the piss out of it!
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

This has been my concern and I can get the slash ultimate brushless 4x4 for the same price as the Kyosho. Of course then I would have to find a great body for it but in the mean time I would also have a beater body that came with it. But it seems really hard to find a scale rally body for it...
Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
This has been my concern and I can get the slash ultimate brushless 4x4 for the same price as the Kyosho. Of course then I would have to find a great body for it but in the mean time I would also have a beater body that came with it. But it seems really hard to find a scale rally body for it...
I'm willing to bet that there will be more bodies coming out for the Traxxas Rally soon.

Either of hese two Bugs should look cool on it Pro-Line Volkswagen Full Fender Body 3238 for Short Course

Pro-Line Volkswagen Baja Bug Body 3238 for Short Course

This one looks like a Dakar Rally Pro-Line 14RS Body 3319 for Short Course

Here's some shots of the real ones lancer darkar rally - Bing Images

Pro-Line makes this one for it as well Pro-Line 2012 Ford Focus ST Body 3367 for Short Course maybe even this one will get scaled up Pro-Line 2011 Camaro GS Body 3371 for 1:16 Rally
Creepy Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post

The parts of the WR8 are the same size as my 10th scale rally cars and I break those all the time.
That's discouraging...I would have thought they would be sized in the middle of the two. I need to take a good look at Rodney's car. I was interested in the WR8, but now I'm beginning to wonder.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Inc. View Post
I really like my DRX but, I have learned the hard way that I can't drive it like I do my Slash. First run I ripped the spoiler half off, ripped the tire, & ground off a chunk of the rim. Second run I bent two of the dog bones, bent three of the control arm pins, & ripped the rear body post mount off.
Kinda the same experiences with my DRX. I run it pretty hard, like Slash bashing style too. I have broke/bent a few of the parts you mentioned as well.

I have since lowered my Throttle EPA to 80-100% and things don't break as often.

Quote:
DRX body on Slash with very minimal effort.
Slash 4x4 Rally Conversion
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
That's discouraging...I would have thought they would be sized in the middle of the two. I need to take a good look at Rodney's car. I was interested in the WR8, but now I'm beginning to wonder.

I have been super rough on mine no issue so far. Seams tough as nails.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Won't fit.

DRX is the best choice IMO.
In correct, DRX fits Traxxas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Does it mean if you already have a Slash no need for this car? LOL
natskiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
In correct, DRX fits Traxxas
I was referring to stock. Anything will fit anything if you modify it. DUH!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Kinda the same experiences with my DRX. I run it pretty hard, like Slash bashing style too. I have broke/bent a few of the parts you mentioned as well.

I have since lowered my Throttle EPA to 80-100% and things don't break as often.

Thanks for the great link! I am really leaning toward the Traxxas Rally with that Subi Kyosho body and wheels now....
Old 10-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Thunder Tiger 1/8 ER-4 G3 Mini Cooper Countryman Brushless 2.4GHz RTR

Another pretty cool choice to consider as well.
buzzbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Thanks I saw one and the proportions are just not right, same as the traxxas rally, too wide. It just looks odd...

Looking for a scale rally basher? Kyosho DRX VE vs HPI WR8 Flux vs Slash/Rally - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Szczerba's DRX VE Demon Rally Szczerba Rally 140 09-09-2015 04:09 AM
jakel's Rally DRX jakel Rally 18 02-26-2013 11:26 AM
Rockin Rally "WR8 Flux" sally1800 Rally 45 02-09-2013 09:19 PM
kyosho drx ve VS hpi wr8 VS TT01 phase10 Chit Chat 2 09-11-2012 12:05 AM
Tamiya XV-01, HPI WR8 Flux Ken Block, or DM-1 Pro (w/rally mods)!! alexchen86 Rally 9 07-18-2012 12:14 PM