Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Trixx Project: Custom Tamiya TB01 Rally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
Rock Stacker

Lolol! I was searching rccrawler forum, not google. Thanks, ive read about halfway thru the thread already, very nice... Its pretty long.
Trixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2013, 02:05 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

I have alot to share for this build. Sorry i havent posted recently, been busy building and capturing pix. I got somthing different then ive seen done to the TB01, in regards to suspension. Ill get pix up soon.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Trixx Project: Custom Tamiya TB01 Rally

Firstly, This is CRAAAAPPPPP!!!!!!! Believe me when I say, I did Not over tighten these screws. In fact everything was fine.. I came back the next day and this is what I saw... I later put a little bit of epoxy over it all and later you'll see I also put chassis film on... time will tell if my front end cracks off.. (I have been trying to find just the TB01 tub, but nothing yet)

Well got everything I needed to start the build. NOTE! I should have guessed, but the RcScewz were all fine thread screws and I didn't trust them in the plastic... I thought they would be course thread. I always use RcScrews kits but I guess I need to forget that on a Tamiya kit.

Ok, well to start off I replaced the junk Tamiya ends with RPM ball cups and 4-40 ball studs.

Standard build up diffs. I used blue bearing grease... I hope it works out.

Rear end and front end picks. The aluminum bits and universals.. also the RPM links. (I later switch these to black)

The Steering... SOOOOOO much slop in the TB01.. Im working on that.

Glued on a small piece of antenna tube to the top deck to keep the rx antenna safe.

Ive done a lot to this since completing the (Besides Aluminum) stock build. Here it is After the stock build. More..COMING SOON!

Last edited by Trixxx; 01-18-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

here is a chassis for you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-58257...item5893656156

i have always clamied the tb-01 to be a slop tastic pig. reason for this i am just quite shure of as of yet. i bought a gmp alum stearing set the only good thing i got out of it was the carbon fiber connecting arm.
aslo if my memory serves me correctly traxxis four tec stearing arm bearing with work with the tb-01 alum stearing set.

Last edited by slegh; 01-19-2013 at 08:51 AM.
slegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Did you use and one of loctite on those screws? One of mine disintegrated after it went through a parts washer then the screws were loctited, it lasted three days before the chassis did this.

It may just be a really old chassis tub that's just gone brittle with age.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Sorry, double posted.
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Probably both.. I put loctite on and i remember dripping to much. I thought maybe the loctite did somthing.. Plus its probably old and thirdly the room its in is freezing which all together made it splinter and crack. Errrrrrrr.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #28
Rock Stacker

Does anyone know if the TG10 mk1 bottom aluminum chassis plate is a direct fit to the TB01. If so i want to use one. I have a DIY home vacum form and can make a lexan undertray for the bottom that will velcro to the lexan overtray.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #29
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixxx View Post
Does anyone know if the TG10 mk1 bottom aluminum chassis plate is a direct fit to the TB01. If so i want to use one. I have a DIY home vacum form and can make a lexan undertray for the bottom that will velcro to the lexan overtray.
Not sure if it is a fit, but I honestly don't think it is needed. I think your broken chassis is a fluke, I beat the hell out of my TB01 for a year and never had issues.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Your probably right. But i have to buy a new chassis eitherway, i can get the TG10 alum one cheaper and a lexan undertray will work the same as the tub. With it being alum, cheaper, stronger etc. it seems like the best way to go. They use the same front and rear end so that shouldnt be an issue, but not sure if one is any longer or anything.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #31
Pebble Pounder

do wheelbase check thats the only advice i can give out,
Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #32
Rock Stacker

Right, i was hoping someone new because i dont own a TG10.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #33
Rock Stacker

Sorry guys, i haven't updated. I have a few dozen photos and have been slow to resize and upload to the thread. Im going to get on it tonight.

I need to get some shocks, but it seems i cant find a decent set for a good price at the 62mm mark. I may have to go with the Gmade 62's. But before i put out $45.00 for a set i just want your guys input. Slegh said he had 62's on all 4 corners and TURTLE mentioned getting longer shocks. I know the 62's will be fine in the rear but i just want to make sure they will be fine up front, Gmade also has 55's ... What do you guys think? Go with the 62's or 55's up front?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #34
Gettin’ back on the horse

Umm yeah my front shocks are about 76mm. My rear shocks are about 88mm. Both are running cut down Losi 1.2lb (black) buggy springs.

I'm also running plastic Tamiya shocks in all four corners and they work great.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

Wow, i have somthing like 72 on the rear right now but the shocks are crap ebay purple anodized cheapo's i had laying around. It seemed like the were pushing the limit, i am shocked your are so long... Perhaps i can go longer then.. (your measuring eye to eye center?) do you have a photo front and rear you can post? I just wanna make sure to get the best setup before i spend anymore $$$ on the project. Your using losi springs, do you remember which shocks your using? PS- im in Italy and its 8am, so it is like 1am give or take an hour where your at....... Late night?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

i am now running 62 on the rear and 55 up front finding springs is a pita! my question is turtle running l.a. kit?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #37
Rock Stacker

I ordered a set of 65's and 55's cheapo ebays, but good ones ive used before. Got them in gunmetal... I hate the purple and neon blue crap.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #38
Rock Stacker

Sorry, i got 4 each 65's and 55's.... Only $15.00 a set of 4 and they are pretty good... Had them on my sprint.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #39
Pebble Pounder

whats the spring sellection like?
Old 01-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

No selection with the shocks, i cant remember exactly but i think i was able to use HPI springs or LOSI with them.. Once they get here ill let you know. I dont have the ones i use to have anymore, or id check.