Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Brokennib's XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 05:41 PM   #21
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: Brokennib's XV-01

I run the Turnigy 3800mah 2 cell hardcase packs and have plenty of room. They are only 25-35, but plenty for my 5700 KV 4 pole Castle motor. If you are having issues with fitting everything inside the car you can always make a underbody and run the electronics box with the cover off.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I run the Turnigy 3800mah 2 cell hardcase packs and have plenty of room. They are only 25-35, but plenty for my 5700 KV 4 pole Castle motor. If you are having issues with fitting everything inside the car you can always make a underbody and run the electronics box with the cover off.
Yeah, I finally went ahead and ordered one, 3300 mah, 65-130 burst (supposedly) should have plenty of room left over for wiring. My 5000 mah came with 8 guage wire, which made squeezing into tight spaces just about impossible.
I guess I always have the option to have the electronics box "topless" probably run nice and cool. But I dunno, having a nice clean install would just make it more "sano"
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:32 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Well, got my new battery this week, fits in the car just fine, but I had to hack up the electronics cover to fit everything.
This is the only part of this car that just makes no sense whatsover. I know these Novaks are big, but theyre not THAT big. These "compartments" in the lid just seem bass-ackwards. But a little styrene re-design should fix the gaps no problem.

I picked up a set of hpi wheels at a local shop for the stock Tamiya tires. A little rattle-can treatment and they look pretty good.

Aaaaannnnnnnndddd it's done! At laest running anyway.

I ran over to a local vacant lot to shoot some pics, took my radio but no tools, figured I would just fire it up and run until something loosens up or falls off. (typical first run stuff)
Even though the esc still had full drag brake programmed and the slipper was way too loose, this thing rocked! The handling is just awesome !

This is my attempt at an action-shot. (with my old Kodak)

Old 04-07-2013, 03:48 AM   #24
waw
Quarry Creeper

I see you had to hack the electronic cover to let all of those wires connected to each other.. also I saw that you somehow cut open or widen the divider from the battery compartment to the electronic, if not mistaken..
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw View Post
I see you had to hack the electronic cover to let all of those wires connected to each other.. also I saw that you somehow cut open or widen the divider from the battery compartment to the electronic, if not mistaken..
yup, that was mainly because of how the Novack esc is laid out, I tried soldering the esc wires upside-down on the circuit board to get a little more room, but I could not get a good-enough contact, so the esc heated up rather quickly. So I had to cut into the eletronic cover. ( the cover, not the chassis!)
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Nice Chris. Just ordered the last couple of things from Hong Kong and servo off rc tech so the build should start next week. Oh, my vw body hasn't gotten here from Hong Kong yet. I'm gathering several bodies and then shipping them off to rockthrasher for some custom paint. I did mention I picked up a couple more mini coopers for family and friends to run. My daughter wants the new mini body though.
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

Well, after the first few runs this week, I am really getting into this car! It's really a fun driving experience.
Although there's really nothing wrong with the stock motor, I figured it was just a matter of time before I wanted to put a brushless setup in this thing. That lasted about 30 seconds.

I went ahead and ordered the sct combo from castle, price was good (100 bucks on Amazon) and 3800kv should be fine for this thing. Plus I don't have to worry about squeezing that damn Novak in here.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Well, I received the Castle Combo a couple of days ago, and I cannot get this piece of shit to arm. I love products that are bad out of the box! Awesome
After a couple of days of dealing with some of the most confusing instructions I have dealt with, and a website that is damn near useless, I called it quits on this thing and it's going back to Kansas in the morning.

I know these things happen, (especially in this hobby) but as one of my first major purchases with this company, Castle is not exactly making a great first impression.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #29

Did you program the electronics to your radio? Did you try reversing the throttle in your radio? Did you try adjusting your center points in both directions on the radio? Did you try switching the motor wires around? Did you try plugging the ESC into a PC computer to check the settings? If you did is it set to a BETA ware of software?
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Did you program the electronics to your radio? Did you try reversing the throttle in your radio? Did you try adjusting your center points in both directions on the radio? Did you try switching the motor wires around? Did you try plugging the ESC into a PC computer to check the settings? If you did is it set to a BETA ware of software?
Welp, I thought I would doubl-check a couple of your suggestions before I headed to the post office, and it fired right up! I swapped the motor wires around, and I think that did it. Thanks Turtle!!!

Sorry if my last post was a bit ranty, just venting a couple of days of trouble-shooting frustration.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
Welp, I thought I would doubl-check a couple of your suggestions before I headed to the post office, and it fired right up! I swapped the motor wires around, and I think that did it. Thanks Turtle!!!

Sorry if my last post was a bit ranty, just venting a couple of days of trouble-shooting frustration.
No worries.

Glad you got it figured out before dealing with trying to warranty a good ESC.

Everything I listed I have had to deal with, so i know how you feel.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Well, its been a few weeks now, and this thing is a complete blast ! I shot a little video of it this weekend. Alot of this is just to learn how to use a new camera and editing software, so this video is pretty thrown together- I also had a cheap set of onroad tires on the thing, so it was sliding around quite a bit.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #33
waw
Quarry Creeper

love the dirt part on the video..
with your paint job, it wont look as dirty as it should after the run..
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #34
RCC Addict

I finally got everything I needed to put mine together. Now it should be done right after axialfest I did get my 4.1 done though If you are going to the hobbytown swap meet sunday, bring it out and we can head over to the rodeo grounds to see what kind of course we can set up over there. Hoping to get the bobcat in the next week or two. We'll see
Old 05-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
I finally got everything I needed to put mine together. Now it should be done right after axialfest I did get my 4.1 done though If you are going to the hobbytown swap meet sunday, bring it out and we can head over to the rodeo grounds to see what kind of course we can set up over there. Hoping to get the bobcat in the next week or two. We'll see
Good idea, I think I'll do that, what time does the swap meet start?
This empty commercial district by me is'nt too bad. What's nice is you dont really need a lot of crazy terrain with these things, just a little bit of everything.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #36
RCC Addict

I think around 7-noon. Since it's close to my house we can swing by the oak trees in front of the prison as well. Home made bmx track where I take my TH. I'm leaving tomorrow so should be back sat sun

From my phone using my fingers.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

Well it seems you and Martin are going to be costing me some more money AGAIN. I have been following the Rally thread for quite some time they look like a fun car. Going to be moving to your old stomping grounds in a few weeks Chris. (Santa Rosa) a little closer to some form of RC action. Beautiful country up here but---
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill View Post
Well it seems you and Martin are going to be costing me some more money AGAIN. I have been following the Rally thread for quite some time they look like a fun car. Going to be moving to your old stomping grounds in a few weeks Chris. (Santa Rosa) a little closer to some form of RC action. Beautiful country up here but---
Hey Bill!!!
Santa Rosa has a great RC thing going on out there, and maby we can see you out in this neck of the woods on occasion!
I'm pretty stoked on this xv-01, it really is a great little car, and the Sidewider combo is really working out great. We need to get some euro-style rally courses going out here!
Old 05-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

For sure, the xv-01 looks like a great rally platform. We tried to do the rally thing years ago at Hobby Town. ( In Fremont) I cant re-call the Tamiya model we used, but it was fun. Great tip on ordering spare parts as the Tamiya parts and Hop-ups are so expensive from dealers in the States. I raced the F-1s and Minis from Tamiya for years, so be prepared to get whipped. (You too Martin) Pretty bold talk for an Old Guy.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:44 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Just picked up a kit! Cant wait to start building! Nice build!
marcod13 is offline   Reply With Quote