Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Brokennib's XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Brokennib's XV-01

Well, after cashing in my loose change stash, turning in all those empty soda cans and mowing a couple of lawns in the neighborhood, I got enough coin together for a new kit.

This kits pretty cool, and went together without a hitch. I haven't built a Tamiya kit in a number of years, so it brought back a lot of memories. ( If you haven't guessed, I'm an old rc fart.)

She's a roller!

I have a slipper clutch I orderd off of e-bay on it's way (hopefully) finding parts for this guy that doesn't cost fortune seems to be my biggest challenge. Anybody know any good sources?
I'd like to find something in the states, just to keep the shipping a little less complicated.
brokennib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Gettin’ back on the horse

Default Re: Brokennib's XV-01

I have found ebay to be the cheapest and fastest way to go. My local hobby shop and Tamiya America can both get/have the parts. But ebay is way cheaper. And shipping from Hong Kong generally only takes a week and a half to get to my house.

I have actually found parts to be pretty affordable for this car, yeah there are a couple parts that are a little pricey, but overall I don't think it is too bad.
When you look try also searching by part number since several of the parts of the XV-01 are crossover pieces from other cars. It will widen your search and give you the best deals.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
Well, after cashing in my loose change stash, turning in all those empty soda cans and mowing a couple of lawns in the neighborhood, I got enough coin together for a new kit.

This kits pretty cool, and went together without a hitch. I haven't built a Tamiya kit in a number of years, so it brought back a lot of memories. ( If you haven't guessed, I'm an old rc fart.)

She's a roller!

I have a slipper clutch I orderd off of e-bay on it's way (hopefully) finding parts for this guy that doesn't cost fortune seems to be my biggest challenge. Anybody know any good sources?
I'd like to find something in the states, just to keep the shipping a little less complicated.
Hey Chris , Hows it going . Miss seeing u on the rocks , Im still HOOKED , Ive been messing around with rally stuff , Two HPI Ken Block cars , Some mods . FUNNNN . Two Kyoshos , FUNNN Also . Check RPP HOBBY , They are good on price and shipping is ultra fast .
bikerdobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Damm you Chris I'm ordering mine next week
fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

try Rcmart. I just order the same kit today, plus the slipper clutch, Aluminum Suspension Mount XJ #54379, XV-01 Separate Suspension Mounts (1XM) #54377, metal gear blue bird servo, shipped to my door in Winnipeg in 2-5 days for $354 all in.
Sapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I have found ebay to be the cheapest and fastest way to go. My local hobby shop and Tamiya America can both get/have the parts. But ebay is way cheaper. And shipping from Hong Kong generally only takes a week and a half to get to my house.

I have actually found parts to be pretty affordable for this car, yeah there are a couple parts that are a little pricey, but overall I don't think it is too bad.
When you look try also searching by part number since several of the parts of the XV-01 are crossover pieces from other cars. It will widen your search and give you the best deals.
Yeah, I ordered my slipper clutch off of E-Bay, was only 3bucks airmail from Japan. By the time I was wondering where it was, it was on my doorstep today. (about 5 days!) your right, the parts for these really aren't that bad, but the best deals are definetly from Honk Kong and Japan. E-Bay's the way to go. Good tip on the part numbers- id like to get a couple extra sets of these rims to have on hand, and it's a lot easier with the official Tamiya part numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
Damm you Chris I'm ordering mine next week
Tee Hee, I love being the first kid on the block with one. I even seemed to impress Mike I'd jump on that RPP deal by the end of the month. ( RPP has a "March Madness" coupon deal where I saved about 15 bucks, which covered sales tax, and free shipping, which came in overnight)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapes View Post
try Rcmart. I just order the same kit today, plus the slipper clutch, Aluminum Suspension Mount XJ #54379, XV-01 Separate Suspension Mounts (1XM) #54377, metal gear blue bird servo, shipped to my door in Winnipeg in 2-5 days for $354 all in.
I was looking at RC Mart, because their kit prices are great, but once I calculated shipping it was a deal-breaker. 60+bucks to ship to the states. which was a bit much, however for parts it should be a good source.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Anyhoo, a little update: My servo came in! I was going to put a hi tech 645MG in this thing, mostly because they tend to be under 40 bucks and are a real workhorse. But after seeing you guys run this one, and at 62bucks, it's worth a shot. (plus it's a little quicker on the draw than the Hitec)

Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #8

Good call on the low profile 1251mg. I love mine... all of them. I stripped gears in one before I put my Kimbrough servo saver on. So put that one on the list if you haven't yet.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Good call on the low profile 1251mg. I love mine... all of them. I stripped gears in one before I put my Kimbrough servo saver on. So put that one on the list if you haven't yet.
Oh yeah, I was going to use the one in the kit, but I forget the spline count with these Savox's. I knew I forgot something at the hobby shop today!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokennib View Post
Oh yeah, I was going to use the one in the kit, but I forget the spline count with these Savox's. I knew I forgot something at the hobby shop today!
I am pretty sure the Savox is the same as Futaba. I have used the kit ones in other cars and personally I think they are terrible, they develop a lot of slop and cause more headaches then they are worth. The Kimbrough I have in my car works flawlessly and I have yet to break anything in the steering or servo since I put it on.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I am pretty sure the Savox is the same as Futaba. I have used the kit ones in other cars and personally I think they are terrible, they develop a lot of slop and cause more headaches then they are worth. The Kimbrough I have in my car works flawlessly and I have yet to break anything in the steering or servo since I put it on.
yup, just put mine together-- and it's pretty weak. I see a trip the the LHS in my future.... (same spline as Futaba, btw.)
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
RCC Addict

mmm, Tamiya plastic smells good...
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:33 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I prefer sniffing other things, but each to their own
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad4Rnr View Post
mmm, Tamiya plastic smells good...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
Yeah, smell this pal !!!! .....
Old 03-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
RCC Addict

So we have savox fans here? I may have to try one. One of my hobby shop buddies has burnt up 2 or 3 in his scaler. BTW, my xv01 pro has been ordered sold the 5ive
Old 03-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So we have savox fans here? I may have to try one. One of my hobby shop buddies has burnt up 2 or 3 in his scaler. BTW, my xv01 pro has been ordered sold the 5ive
Wow, the Pro Version? Nice!
Old 03-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
What, like butt?
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

I was really hoping to get this thing moving on it's own last weekend, but real life got in the way, again
I'd love to put a new motor/esc combo in this thing, but the money just isn't there. So I'm using my Goat 3s, it has the same programming as their Havok esc's, plus I can run a sensored brushless motor (10t) eventually. I'll stick with the stock motor for now till I get used to driving this thing. (hopefully a little easier on parts. )

Anyway, now I have to figure out how to shoe-horn this damn thing in. I have to re-solder a lot of the wires on this thing.

Swapped out the wires on the stock motor for a little better current flow.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Got my kit in while I was out of town. Did I mention that area 916 rc rally is for 17.5 only lol. Now I have to order a cow mat and some hop ups and Eddie to drop off his bobcat so thr track going. Or we have a couple other spots that are ready.

From my phone using my fingers.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Got my kit in while I was out of town. Did I mention that area 916 rc rally is for 17.5 only lol. Now I have to order a cow mat and some hop ups and Eddie to drop off his bobcat so thr track going. Or we have a couple other spots that are ready.

From my phone using my fingers.
Har de har. har.

I used to run 17.5 in my touring car, personally I like a little more grunt for my 2cell, so I'm shooting for a 10.5.
Although right now I would prefer if it simply "ran"
Had a little trouble with my soldering station, turns out I have a lot of bad joints I have to do over again, plus I'm still trying to get everything to fit. Ive got a 5ooo mah 2 cell, which will fit in the tray, but that's about it. It's interesting just how little room there is in these things for components. It's not impossible, just tricky.
So needless to say I have a new battery on the way (3300 mah or less.) and we should be going eventually.