Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Which Rally Car?? XV01 or WR8 FLux

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 05:07 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Which Rally Car?? XV01 or WR8 FLux

I have been saving fror a rally car for some time, and keep coming back to change my mind when I thought I had it set.

I have been looking at a WR8 since I had a chance to look one over in the flesh at a Melbourne Hobby store. I am most of the way to having the cash for the WR8 Flux plus another set of rims and off road tyres.

HOwever my conundrum is this, there is a lot going for the WR8, and they seem to be a good thing in most peoples mind. Good clearance, pretty strong, not a lot of bodies availabe unless you can find SNR Bodies, not a lot of tyres available.

However the XV01 barely has a bad word said about it either. Lots of tyres and bodies, lots of hopups including a slipper. I see some motors don't fit too well, but that is ok. But it is smaller, and doesn't have as much ground clearance, but is probbaly a little more scale looking.

I will msotly be running it as a basher, gravel, dirt etc. However a local group may be getting a rally track sorted out, and if numbers allow, the local club I rase short course truck at may run a rallycross class as well as the indoor track has a suitable surface.

Interested in hearing people's thoughts on my conundrum.
Phoenix76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Which Rally Car?? XV01 or WR8 FLux

I was shopping around to get a rally a year ago, went with the xv-01 pro because I heard it was the best handling 1/10th scale car out there. It was true, this thing is awesome, and once you get a few aluminum hop ups, it's a freakin tank. I bought a second one, and it's a blast. The wr8 and DRX are bigger cars, so if you only want to bash in the dirt you may like those more, as they can handle rougher terrain, but the xv-01 is well worth it.
Ell206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Gettin’ back on the horse

I agree with ELL.

Also consider parts support and whether the vehicle will even continue to be around. The WR8 is a cool looking vehicle, but parts support, bodies and hop ups are almost non existent compared to the Kyosho DRX, Tamiya XV-01 or damn near anything else on the market.

I think the Tamiya XV-01 is the best supported (best driving) vehicle in the rally world, that will most probably be around for years to come. Hell look at the Tamiya TB-01, it was discontinued sometime around 2007 and you can still get parts for it.

The fact that the XV-01 is a rally car, truck, touring car, and has several shared parts with the FF03 and other Tamiya touring cars you have a platform that should be supported for years to come.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I guess part of it depends on if I get both or not. Here I was thinking this would be easy. HPI supports parts for a long time, and most on the WR8 are from the Bullet platform, which itself was the old hot bodies Lightning if I recall. So it's no youngster in it's origins. I guess HPI have been very very quiet of late, which worries me a lot, I mean they have not put out a press release since January, which is unusual for them HPI Racing | Press releases!

Mmmm, xv01 is gaining some traction. Won't be in a position to buy until I come back in a couple of weeks because I can get the xv01 in a more bit by bit basis. Kit (I presume the slipper is a worthwhile upgrade), then motor/esc. I have an old servo that will do the job for now, and a radio until I can upgrade that. Might get away with it a bit cheaper than the WR8 if I go that route.

Is it worth looking at the pro kit, I can't see much in the way of difference?

Also, what motor /esc are people putting in to these? I presume something water proof ish at least?
Old 07-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I have a pro and regular kit, the pro kit has cvd's instead of dogbones, a few aluminum parts, a servo saver, but the regular kit comes with a body. I just bought the subaru xv kit from rcmart. got it shipped under $200. As far as motors and speed controls, I run a castle creations 5700kv and SV2 in both cars and havent had a single issue yet. You can get one of those older combos around $140. The newer Mamba max esc's will be more expensive, but people really seem to like those too. On my regular xv-01 I only have 3 hop ups on it, the slipper clutch(make sure to get a 48pitch 24-29tooth steel pinion gear), and two aluminum suspension mounts. TowerHobbies.com | Tamiya Aluminum Susp Mount XJ/XV-01
Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I had seen a few people upgrading the belt, but that's not necessary then? 5700kv is what I was looking at, and seem to be popular in this car (this seems to be turning into my XV01 purchase and build rather than which to get LOL)

I thought that the pro kit came with no body, although the prices from RC mart sound better than other places, have to check them out. Is it worth getting the pro versions, or are the upgrades negligible in their effect? Do the HPI 200mm bodies fit? There is a 1998 subaru that I would prefer that they have over the later one (although I am happy with any subaru ;) )

Just checked out RC mart, I've only ever used tower and amain before, good prices there, even freight here isn't too bad!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

upgrade the belt when it breaks. The pro version doesn't come with a body. The hpi bodies are typically a little too wide, and I think you need the 190mm ones. Just make sure you get a body that allows you to keep the entire foam bumper. If you trim it, it will be much weaker, I know from experience.

Ell's Broken, Then Upgraded XV-01 Pro
Old 07-08-2013, 04:53 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix76 View Post
Just checked out RC mart, I've only ever used tower and amain before, good prices there, even freight here isn't too bad!
RC Mart (Dinball on ebay) will beat Tower almost every time. Them and RC Market are the 2 main stores most Aussies use I think. (although I do use Tower occasionally when the discount codes make it worhwhile).
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Interesting. most of the guys I race with get everything from Amain or tower. Probably because most have HPI gear. Those sites have some great prices both.

Looks like I'll be getting my first Non HPI Car soon after a MT2, E-Savage, E-Firestorm, Sprint 2 and Blitz ESE!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I think I just found an alternative body for it as well. Mmm, to get this or just the subaru body!

BOWLER WILDCAT + DECALS 1:10 Land Rover body - LEXAN

Old 07-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Ok, so a body question. If I get the pro kit (I probably can't resist), I don't have to get the tamiya Body, but could get one of the HPI WRX Sedan bodies, which I prefer.

Looking at the HPI bodies, there is the 2004 car that is available in 190 and 200mm bodies (17205 and 17505), the 1998 190 mm (7312) and the 2001 body that is 200mm, part 7458. I really like the 1998, but is the wider bodies just a case of using a 3mm offset wheel and will it fit on the xv01?? For the record, I like the 1998 body
#7312 Subaru Impreza Wrc '98 Body (190mm)
Old 07-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
Gettin’ back on the horse

Yes to 190mm bodies, and even the HPI 190mm bodies are wider then the Tamiya ones. I am not 100% sure, but I think you will want 3mm off set wheels just to combat the extra width of the HPI body.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

FYI - my standard XV01 is only about 182 wide with stock set up. My tamiya body is about 186 wide and the HPI Evo 6 is about 193. So, yes you will need some serious offset if you go a 200 wide body.

And I'm a fan of that 98 Subaru too, apart from the rear wing....
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

I have both and love them both. They each have their own strengths and weakness's. The WR8 goes literally everywhere.
kikcaffine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Well, RCmart.com order is in and being processed and an XV-01 is on the way complete with reinforced belt (to use once the original breaks, slipper clutch, a spring set. Got the RTR kit, and will put CVD's on it, but rc mart were out of one part that I needed, so I will do that another day when they have stock in, or somebody else does anyway LOL!! I suppose this will become a build thread once it gets here LOL! Maybe I should have the thread renamed.

Not sure what colour scheme to go with yet, the Arai one, a WRC one, or green white black like my new SCT body.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:45 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Well, my XV-01 has arrived, and I've done some of the building. A bit different to the HPI kits that I am used to as it is my first, well anything but HPI RC car actually!

All going together well so far, although there seemed to be a lot of play in the differential housing for the rear xle, wonder if I should shim it a bit more before getting further along in the built.

Unfortunately I forgot to check the slipper instructions and had to pull down the diff housing again to install it. That is what you get for not checking ALL the instructions first.

Other downer was part K4. My K spruce only had 2 part attached to it, the others were loose, or so I thought until I tried to fit K4. No K4 :( . I've sent an email to RC mart, not sure if I have to deal with them or Tamiya. Rather not buy the whole spruce again, but then it is only about $10 I suppose, just very frustrating.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Any chance we could change the title of this thread to my build thread? might as well all be in the same place??

Ok, my build is slow because of a couple of reasons.

1) i have 2 kids, and therefore not a lot of spare time
2) my Discovery has a dead gearbox, so I am pulling that out to fix it as well
3) I'm a slow builder, and I am trying not to damage too many screw heads. I'm used to all hex hardware in my HPI vehicles of the past

So, I am almost as far as I can get without the elusive K4 part. However after a couple of emails to RCMart they were not able to provide the replacement part, so gave me a $10 shop credit, with which I purchased the K spruce in the carbon reinforced version. so I will have a few more spares for those parts, which doesn't hurt

Old 09-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I'm working on my xv-01 right now too....

one thing I noticed in that picture: your left (the car's right) steering rod should have that adjusting nut on the inside (like the other side you've got). This may not be an issue for you, but for me the adjusting nut and the rod end rubbed big time on the chassis at full droop. just my $0.02...
bvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Interesting thought, I had just gone by the manual, presumeably so that turning them both the same direction results in them opening or closing. I'll have to have a look. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

A little more progress!

Which Rally Car?? XV01 or WR8 FLux - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a scale rally basher? Kyosho DRX VE vs HPI WR8 Flux vs Slash/Rally subspd Rally 21 11-14-2012 01:05 PM
Tamiya XV-01, HPI WR8 Flux Ken Block, or DM-1 Pro (w/rally mods)!! alexchen86 Rally 9 07-18-2012 12:14 PM