Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Which car to choose? Yes, yes i know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Which car to choose? Yes, yes i know.

First off, I know this question has probably been asked a million times. In fact I know it has since I have read pages and pages of this subgroup. Most seem to be from 2012 so I thought I would ask again to see if anything has changed. Also I have a twist on it perhaps.

So basically which car to get keeping the following in mind, what I really want is a Gymkhana car this time. Rallycross with a heavy emphysis with tarmac hooning really.

I had been looking at the WR8 in its latest form but then started reading and found out the DRX is pretty darn nice as well. The XV-01 is probably the best scalewise but I just want a bigger car at this point. Have a few 1/10th vehicles as is.

So I hear that the WR8 has plenty of power but the downside is only one body (unless one can find a SuperNitro body). Plus is they are $35.

The DRX, which I just found out about, is a perfect size, actually $80 cheaper but seems to be underpowered which means $150-200 to get it to be powerful enough. Is this true?

Traxxas rally. I know, i know Traxxas is known for RTRs and generally thought less of in racing circles. Heres the thing, for all the cars I have the one I use most is my Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate. On 3s it simply goes like hell, its an endless stream of fun. The Traxxas Rally looks like a Slash 4x4 under that god awful body (could they have designed an uglier body?) What fits on it bodywise?

The bottom line is I want the slash 4x4 on 3s driving capability in a Rally car to basically do gymkhana on smooth asphalt.

Derek
DSNF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Which car to choose? Yes, yes i know.

wr8 all the way.. team blue groove or tbg on ebay makes the old super nitro bodies {evo wrx and so on } .. I have found it hard to beak them..they run great .. parts are always instock at towerhobbies and amain ..severl wheel and tire to choose from and old super rallu wheels and tires work as well.. stupid fast and fun to drive.. easy to bash but gives you a challenge to master the fast dirt runs..the drx is cool .. and ill get one one day just cause but you wont be happy with the speed and handling once someone runs a wr8 next to you lol
going2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

this is just my op
going2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I also really like my WR8. The weather just turned nice around my parts and I've been out bashing with it every day.

I've always had a SNR Subaru WRX body on mine and it looks and handles like a full scale rally car. I put a set of the Gymkhana D comp tires on a new set of HPI 3036 black mesh SN wheels and the car is just a beast. It hooks up great and the tires give just enough to allow you to swing the ass end around if you want. All that along with the weight transfer when you do some twisties just make the car scale looking and fun as all get out.

That's my opinion. I do also like the DRX but I don't see myself getting one anytime soon. Another WR8 to tinker with?... maybe.
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
Gettin’ back on the horse

Now that the only two guys who like the WR8 have posted up.

My choice would be the DRX, incredibly tough platform, great scale proportions and tons of body options.

I got a pretty lengthy build thread in this section somewhere...

The Traxxas is just a short course truck with a out of proportion body on it.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Now that the only two guys who like the WR8 have posted up.
I'm sure somewhere out there there are more like us... I don't blame anyone for not liking the WR8 either. HPI has done a pretty crappy job of supporting and promoting the platform while exploiting the Gymkhana style as much as they can.

I like it for what it is, a fun RC car in a scal I'm familiar with.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:41 AM   #7
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGozz View Post
I'm sure somewhere out there there are more like us... I don't blame anyone for not liking the WR8 either. HPI has done a pretty crappy job of supporting and promoting the platform while exploiting the Gymkhana style as much as they can.

I like it for what it is, a fun RC car in a scal I'm familiar with.
I'm not disagreeing, just razzin' ya. I got to drive this car a few times when it came out. It looks great and handled the tarmac really well. Its just not as stout as a DRX or IMO handled the dirt quite as well.

And I am right there with you blaming HPI for all the issues, frankly that company has been in a downward spiral starting right before the WR8 was released. I am honestly surprised they are still even around with the poor service and support that has been coming from them, or rather not coming from them...

This to me is the largest issue with the WR8, not the car, but the company.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I'm not disagreeing, just razzin' ya. I got to drive this car a few times when it came out. It looks great and handled the tarmac really well. Its just not as stout as a DRX or IMO handled the dirt quite as well.

And I am right there with you blaming HPI for all the issues, frankly that company has been in a downward spiral starting right before the WR8 was released. I am honestly surprised they are still even around with the poor service and support that has been coming from them, or rather not coming from them...

This to me is the largest issue with the WR8, not the car, but the company.
Word I gotcha. I agree with everything you're saying anyway. Well mostly, I have found their warranty support pretty stellar. When ever I've had a problem or broken part they have taken care of it right away with replacements no questions asked.

I try to hassle them on their Facebook page as much as I can. Every time they post pictures of the GRC bodies for the Micro RS4 I make sure to mention how great it would be to have some of those options for the WR8... If I ever receive a reply I'll be pretty shocked.

It's sad because they could have a pretty good market for the WR8 if they just put a little effort & support into the platform.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the posts guys.

I think with this purchase I am looking more for a tarmac car. I can then do a XV-01 for a true rally car.

Couldn't agree more about HPI, they are really lacking in new products. Unfortunately I think everyone is going the Traxxas route because thats were the casual RC $ lie. I will say they have been great in their support of us 1/5th scale guys though. When they come out east for our big races they have given away tons of parts.
DSNF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:31 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Team Associated?

Team Associated Announces Qualifier ProRally 4WD RTR - RC Car Action

Although, I still love the WR8 or DRX options for having highly detailed scale bodies
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have a DRX and I love it. I just put a Castle 3800 motor on the stock ESC and it runs 30 - 31 mph which to me is perfect in this scale. Enough power to do high speed drifts without looking too unrealistic. Handles the dirt pretty well too for its size. I love mine and its plenty durable. The only thing I've broken is a stub axle and that's because I was going full speed and slid into a curb lol

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
AKbash57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Which car to choose? Yes, yes i know. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle vs. Car Drift Battle 3 now with Baja/Sand Car. 59sled Chit Chat 20 07-05-2013 06:03 PM