Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: drx ve motor upgrade ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default drx ve motor upgrade ?

just got my drx ve and love the way it handle but want alittle more power in it .. the esc seems to be able to handle up to 6000kv from orions web sight and specs .. I was thinking of just running a 3400kv motor myself ..
Hobbywing EZRun 3656 4 Pole Sensorless Brushless Modified Motor (3400kV) [HWA90110000] | Radio Control - AMain.com
was looking at this one to be exact .. what do you guys think .. I take the advice I get on this sight seriously and would love the help for this chassis..

thanks

stock motor is a 2400kv 540 {doesn't say if 4 pole so I assume not }
going2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: drx ve motor upgrade ?

any help at all would be great guys .. open to options
Old 09-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I am not too sure about rally cars and what is needed for speed, with that being said you really can't go wrong with hobbywing stuff, I just bought a hobbywing esc from china for $20 with free shipping, took two weeks but a great deal. I would love to get a drx. That motor you linked is only 60ish so not too bad in price......give it a go

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

though the info on the drx ve says its 540 style motor ... it is clearly not .. i don't think the motor i orderd will work but i will give it a shot
Old 10-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

What did you end up doing? It looks like you could easily fit a 550 sized can in the DRX...

How are you liking it anyway? I was always jealous of the bigger size of the DRX compared to the WR8 but I never got one.
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

i have drx and wr8 .. they are very different ... wr8 is my{and my two buddies} go to parking lot drifter basher ..insaine on loose stuff...kyosho is amazing handling .. great off road..and on 3s needs no upgrades .. motor stays warm never hot.. that think was made for 3s
Old 12-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Nice. So you stuck with the stock motor on it then?

I'm looking into getting into the 1:8 scale stuff. I was thinking about a OFNA GT-V 2e... maybe converting it to Rally spec like the Basher BSR Rally. I'd have to get rid of the WR8 though... Hmm.
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Perfect time to chime in to help you boys out.

I have been a rally fan since I was a kid. I was always fascinated of how two crazy lunatics in rain, snow, ice, mud, burning desert, crazy unpredictable jumps, off camber turns, zipping through a forest on a single lane dirt road going 50-60mph.....that takes some serious balls and skills.

Well needless to say my favorite car was of course the Subaru STI especially the 2007 model before they turned it into more of a track car. So I purchased 3 Tamiya DF-03Ra kits 2 were brushed motors so I would just replace the junk motors once they burn out or get too dirty. The third was powered by a Traxxas VXL 3s system but I ran it on 2s only. 3s would have blown the top off the transmission housing and buttered all the gears despite having a slipper clutch or not.

I sold all of them about 2 years later because 1/10 rally just didn't have the terrain in Houston. So I went to 1/8 and converted my Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition into an 1/8 rally car with custom bumpers, mounts, etc. I used a Kyosho Inferno GT1 Subaru body that I purchased brand new painted and stickered from a buddy of mine. It happened to be the legendary Pete Solberg's Subaru. But due to the high center of gravity of the Slash 4x4 and even limiting the shocks internally I could never get it to handle the way I wanted it to although it sure looked the part with 1/8 gold rally wheels and rally tread tires.

So another year goes by and I sell it to a guy who wanted an 1/8 Kyosho Inferno GT1 but could not afford it so I just sold him the roller and sold the electronics separate.

Then the rally craze finally came back from the 80s like when Tamiya introduced their version of rally cars and trucks like the CC-01, AE released a rally mod kit for their TC3 lines, HPI made the RS4 Rally, and everyone was hot on rallying. Then came short course....now back to rally again thanks to Ken Block and his Gymkhana style driving.

I wanted to say all of that so you know I have done literally EVERYTHING. I had an OFNA GTP2E that I put a Deltaplastik Lancia hatchback body on with the perfect livery in all the right spots...I mean it was as scale as you could get. End of the day it still handled like a piece of junk. Those 1/8 GT cars you have to understand came from 1/8 buggies that people converted to on-road racers. So no matter what you do they will always handle on-road only. Even if you lift it with higher suspension settings or mess with the geometry the entire chassis setup and weight balance would be completely out of whack and controlling it even at 40-50mph being a 1/8 and probably on a fat 5000mah 4s pack is not easy.

I bought an OFNA DM-1 Spec E afterwards and put in about $600 worth of parts to try and convert it to a rally beast but it still performed like a buggy with street tires on. Then I bought HPI's Apache C1 Flux and THAT was the closest thing I have ever had the privileged of owning which handled, jumped, and drifted like a rally truck would. I sold that a few months later to get the HPI WR8 Flux.

Biggest waste of money, time, and tires. (I bought a ton of extra parts because everything on that car was plastic or weak aluminum). I would much rather drive a converted Tamiya TB-03 with the right rally parts than that piece of junk. The plastic big bore shocks on a $600 RTR junker?! A chassis based on their mischievous Bullet Flux?! I almost wanted to run it over with my truck after the first 3 minutes of driving it.

Needless to say I sold it for a good price since there was not a single scratch on it. The suspension on the WR8 Flux is the biggest problem. And the fact that none of the the tie rods for camber or toe are adjustable is completely inexcusable for a $600 piece of junk.

After that horrible ordeal I gave up and now I just build my own creations the way I want it done. Find a good vendor on here tell them your idea of what you want and the sky's the limit. But I am done with rallying. Rally is impossible in the r/c world because they are too delicate or waaay too big. Short course trucks can getaway with that since they are usually way too big anyway and some are very delicate.

Just my 0.02 to save you wasted money and headache!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:46 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

that was a long rant for nothing .. i love my wr8 .. and love my drx ve .. two of the best rc i have owned out of 30 or so .. all brand name .. and the wr8 flux is not 600$..side note gtp2e is an onroad chassis that has some of the highest mph ratings out there and very high up on the 1/8th scale market killing many of the kyosho .

anyway the wr8 flux is an amazing all around chassis and most will agree .. and has very little to do with the bullet flux as far as handling .. may share some parts but not enoiugh to compare the two {yes i have had both and yes the bullet is shit}

dont give bad reviews on chassis when your the one making mistakes not the rc
Old 01-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by going2fast View Post
that was a long rant for nothing ..
I just skipped over it and read the next post....
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

drx ve motor upgrade ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DRX VE motor options JesterSpec Rally 13 11-08-2013 03:53 PM
Motor upgrade nickel417 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 7 06-19-2012 06:47 PM
motor upgrade sick86burban Electronics 1 02-21-2012 12:29 AM
Motor upgrade gmcdad Newbie General 2 09-28-2010 12:11 PM
motor upgrade for 7.2v? STANG KILLA SS Duratrax Cliff Climber 3 10-05-2009 11:19 AM