Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: XV-01 Tire choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default XV-01 Tire choice

Okay so I have yet to get my xv01 pro kit and have most of my upgrades minus the slipper clutch and motor. At this point I'm wondering what type of on road tires I should be using for tarmac. I'll mainly run this in lose dirt and gravel, but I'd like a good tire for tarmac too. Do they have a certain soft compound that many prefer? Should I be looking at certain foams? Or can I get away with running the block tires? So far I've seen some rain races and those things stuck to the black top like they were on rails! I've did a fairly extensive search in hopes to find some answers, but haven't had much luck. If some one can post a link to a thread I may have missed I'd appreciate that too.
tokdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: XV-01 Tire choice

I've tried a few different tires with the XV-01 on tarmac including those hpi pirelli ones, the ones that come with the vaterra rally car, and the tamiya rally blocks. I like the rally blocks the most, they grip well but still allow you to get into some controlled power slides, the HPI tires just grip too much and make the car want to flip. The vaterra tires are pretty fun for the first couple runs as long as the surface is clean, but they wear down pretty quickly and send the car spinning out of a lot of sharp turns. There might be some better ones out there, but I vote for the Rally blocks.
Ell206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Excellent advice. this is the sort of information I'm looking for. I'll certainly will keep a set of rally blocks available at all times. I'd sure like to keep it on all fours if I can help it lol.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
Gettin’ back on the horse

Rally blocks are pretty good on Tarmac, but I can wear through a set in a couple battery packs. My favorite Tarmac tire to date is the ARP (fastrax) pin style tires. You have to order them in the UK, but they are amazing. Very consistent grip and they handle hard pack and loose sand on tArmac very well. I have had a couple sets of the HPI Pirelli tires in both compounds and can't stand them. The grip is very inconsistent and the profile is very low. I have also used the HPI. x patterns, results were similar to the Pirellis, but a little more traction, still the ARP tires are my favorite. We have a couple page thread on tires in this section. I also discuss my favorites in my XV-01 thread.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Rally blocks are pretty good on Tarmac, but I can wear through a set in a couple battery packs. My favorite Tarmac tire to date is the ARP (fastrax) pin style tires. You have to order them in the UK, but they are amazing. Very consistent grip and they handle hard pack and loose sand on tArmac very well. I have had a couple sets of the HPI Pirelli tires in both compounds and can't stand them. The grip is very inconsistent and the profile is very low. I have also used the HPI. x patterns, results were similar to the Pirellis, but a little more traction, still the ARP tires are my favorite. We have a couple page thread on tires in this section. I also discuss my favorites in my XV-01 thread.
This is great to know! I'll be looking to get a set of these very soon then. I'll also keep checking in this section for the thread you mentioned. I really appreciate the info., truly looking forward to getting started! Thanks!

XV-01 Tire choice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your Best Tire Choice? Dmillsaps Tires and Wheels 20 10-02-2013 09:54 PM
Tire Choice help Jag_Imaging Tires and Wheels 12 05-19-2008 08:04 AM
Tire choice ? rockassassin Tires and Wheels 0 04-14-2008 09:05 AM
Tire choice NoblesvilleKid Newbie General 2 04-12-2007 03:05 PM
Tire choice EJEEP Tires and Wheels 9 12-09-2004 09:02 PM