RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Rally (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/)
-   -   New XV-01 problems (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/rally/516479-new-xv-01-problems.html)

Cabo5150 11-25-2014 01:09 PM

New XV-01 problems

I have a Tamiya XV-01 pro chassis kit, just finished the build and testing everything out.
Radio - Futaba 4PLS
Receiver - Futaba R304SB
Servo - Hitec HS-5646WP
ESC - Tamiya TEU-104BK
Motor - Tamiya Lightly Tuned 28T 540
Pinion - Stock 22T
Spur - Stock - 68T
Battery - 3000mah 6-cell NiMH

Made sure no binding on suspension etc.
ESC set to no low voltage cutoff and reverse is available.

Ran it a few laps up and down the driveway, returned the car to me and applied brake. The car stopped and would not go again. Steering responds, ESC make noise but doesn't move the motor/ belt/ or wheels. No error lights on ESC, can program it, still no go.

I had to extend the wires from the motor to ESC, used team associated wires with bullet connectors, appeared to be same gauge and fit tight, solder properly.

I will check the continuity of these wires, looking for other suggestions to troubleshoot.

Car was a little slower than I had hoped so I'm not opposed to a different esc/ motor combo, I only have about $40 in this combo.
I have the castle programmers (Wraith with Holmes ESC/Motor) so would the MMP or sidewinder be too much for this car.

Any advice is appreciated.

BasicMods 11-25-2014 02:53 PM

Re: New XV-01 problems

make sure its not the car, remove the pinion gear, spin the spur gear to make sure there is nothing binding in the drive system. check the belt and see if it didn't get twisted. if you're not getting enough speed increase size of the pinion gear first. you can change the spur gear and up the motor.

Cabo5150 11-25-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasicMods (Post 4952520)
make sure its not the car, remove the pinion gear, spin the spur gear to make sure there is nothing binding in the drive system. check the belt and see if it didn't get twisted. if you're not getting enough speed increase size of the pinion gear first. you can change the spur gear and up the motor.

It looks like we'll be getting some snow, I'll rip into then.

Thanks!

TURTLE 11-25-2014 10:42 PM

Sounds like it is either the motor or esc. Right now I would lean toward the motor. Turn everything on and use an Allen wrench to push the brushes into the comm. when you give it throttle and it moves that means you have a hung brush or the brushes need to be replaced. Try that and let us know! Either way if that doesn't bring life to it I have a few more ideas."thumbsup"

Cabo5150 11-27-2014 02:08 PM

Didn't have time to rip the transmission open to look for binding, however I connected a battery directly to the motor, I know it's not ideal, and I did see the motor worked and it spun the wheels. I'm thinking it may be the esc. What really sucks is it was new in package...

Cabo5150 11-30-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasicMods (Post 4952520)

Removed gear cover and pinion. Spur spun without resistance and moved the belt and wheels. Confirmed belt is not twisted.

Confirmed my wires had continuity.

Leaning toward esc, as I tested motor spun when connected directly to battery.

TURTLE 11-30-2014 06:24 PM

Sounds like the esc. Maybe a brown out caused over loading or it was just too much for the tamiya electronics. I love their kits, but I don't buy their electronics.

Cabo5150 12-01-2014 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TURTLE (Post 4956520)
Sounds like the esc. Maybe a brown out caused over loading or it was just too much for the tamiya electronics. I love their kits, but I don't buy their electronics.

I love the kits too. I resurrected an old hornet with their ESC and all is fine so I felt safe going with this one. See where that left me :roll:

Looking at hobbywing juststock, so if I ever decide to race competitively I have the right stuff.