Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: New to rally XV-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #1

Default New to rally XV-01

Just picked this up today. Really looking forward to getting into rally and getting on with this build. I have a lot to learn lol. Any advise before I start will be much appreciated. Been looking at some of your builds and some of your race pics, really cool stuff.
Attached Images

golfmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #2

Default Re: New to rally XV-01

Have a set of 3mm shims handy, to take up any slop in the suspension. Replacing the suspension mounts with aluminum is a great upgrade. The kit servo saver is too weak- a Tamiya High-Torque or Durango is a great replacement. Installing the speedo at the front of the electronics box makes it easier to get a clean electronics install. HPI Rally tires are a great all-around tire, unless you'll be driving in the mud. Pay attention when installing the rear arms.

Interested in seeing some pix! Most fun chassis I've owned.
Blaster 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster 75 View Post
Have a set of 3mm shims handy, to take up any slop in the suspension. Replacing the suspension mounts with aluminum is a great upgrade. The kit servo saver is too weak- a Tamiya High-Torque or Durango is a great replacement. Installing the speedo at the front of the electronics box makes it easier to get a clean electronics install. HPI Rally tires are a great all-around tire, unless you'll be driving in the mud. Pay attention when installing the rear arms.

Interested in seeing some pix! Most fun chassis I've owned.
Thanks for the advice. I'll get some pics up today. It's funny that you mentioned the rear arms because they don't look straight. They seem to be on a slight angle towards the front or the car. Is this ok or did I use the wrong holes?
Old 01-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

Making progress, really enjoying this build sorry for the crappy pic
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2017, 04:56 PM   #5

Could u install the ESC and the receiver properly into the box where they belong?

I couldn't. For an odd reason everything within the xv-01 is ridiculous tight... I had to mount the receiver on top of the Servo. Since the stuff is waterproof anyway I don't care...
Dims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:09 AM   #6

The rear arms are reversible (flippable). The damper holes are offset by a couple of mm.

I had been running my car for a couple of months with one side installed wrong, wondering why one rear arm was always set a little lower, then I saw the difference in the arms.

Good luck.
4roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dims View Post
Could u install the ESC and the receiver properly into the box where they belong?

I couldn't. For an odd reason everything within the xv-01 is ridiculous tight... I had to mount the receiver on top of the Servo. Since the stuff is waterproof anyway I don't care...
I ended up using a quickrun 1060 esc. It gave me plenty of room.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4roller View Post
The rear arms are reversible (flippable). The damper holes are offset by a couple of mm.

I had been running my car for a couple of months with one side installed wrong, wondering why one rear arm was always set a little lower, then I saw the difference in the arms.

Good luck.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out
Old 02-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I just picked up one also, but I have the Subaru body. I ordered a Hobby wing sensored setup with a 10.5 T motor to go with it.
mudbeast2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #10

Being that this was my first rally I didn't want to throw a lot of money into it so I had the 1060 and I used an axial 20t I had laying around. It's a lot faster than I expected and until I build up my skills it's more than I need.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmech View Post
Being that this was my first rally I didn't want to throw a lot of money into it so I had the 1060 and I used an axial 20t I had laying around. It's a lot faster than I expected and until I build up my skills it's more than I need.
When I built up my xv-01, I was scared to crash it. I turned my controller down to 60% with a silver can! Until I was comfortable with how it handled, I now run it at 100% with a 13.5T motor with boost and turbo. It took a look g time for me to figure out how to plant it so it would not wash out around corners. But now it's.capable of ~45mph++ on 2s.

I drive it primarily on the street. 72/32 gearing. With HPI X-patterns.
4roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Sweet rally setup, love the old Lancia body! Definitely shim the A-arms, c-hubs, etc Tamiya has some kinda sloppy fitment at times. That body is mult-piece lexan? My first RC was a Tamiya Falcon back when Tamiya GrassHoppers, Hornets, Rock Busters (Aristo-Craft Hitec copy) were cool cars and we raced outside on a hardpacked rocky rutted off-road track and had tons of fun with these cars. Somehow I still love the Tamiya kits, the packaging, the build, I don't know.

Edit: Hobbywing WP1060 is a great ESC and paired with 2S lipo and brushed motor should be tons of fun and plenty of speed in this car.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #13

Resurrecting this old thread.. i am finally completing my XV01 after having put it on hold for almost 2 years.. bit i struggled the most was the rear suspension with the hop up stabilizers...

...in trying to have the stabiliser adjuster at the end of the bar not to come into contact with the drive shaft. I have trimmed plenty of it following the 54514 instructions but it’s really tight in there.. and am worried it will come into contact at some point..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188246.../shares/14C377

Anybody had the same issue?

I am also unsure which combo of springs / oil to use. I have the stock dampers hop-up springs (hard, medium, soft) / oil (500,600,700)

Last edited by Rosino; 05-02-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Rosino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Check out the non crawler section look for turtles builds have not seen him on here for years but he was really into rally and built just about every rally car out there. Think he was from Colorado and they had a kick ass rally track also. If I remember right the Tamiya was his favorite and did a lot of work on it to get it to perform better.
Mopar man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Able to bend the bar some?

While it doesn't fix your issue, I got a well setup XV-01 from Turtle (as mentioned above) and the car does not have any sway bars and handles almost perfect.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Turtle's Modified XV-01

Here it is he has a bunch look his builds up.
Mopar man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:48 AM   #17

Thanks. Had a read at the whole thread... to the delight of my wife.

He seems to also have a very tight fit there but no concerns mentioned in the one post on the sway bars fitment...
Rosino is offline   Reply With Quote

New to rally XV-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Rally Pro 4 + Traxxas rally wheels jeepgeek2002 Rally 1 01-05-2015 06:10 AM
Rallypro Amsterdam Rallysprint Rally 2010 rally video EeePee Chit Chat 63 05-16-2014 08:23 AM
Looking for a scale rally basher? Kyosho DRX VE vs HPI WR8 Flux vs Slash/Rally subspd Rally 21 11-14-2012 01:05 PM
New Traxxas Rally: 1/16th Rally Car Szczerba Chit Chat 20 10-05-2010 10:26 PM
Greek Acropolis Rally (WRC Rally) FJONES007 Outside the US 1 07-16-2009 06:24 AM