Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Build Complete: Tamiya XV-01T "Asterion"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2015, 06:26 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Build Complete: Tamiya XV-01T "Asterion"

This isn't a rally car, but I think it's reasonably scale-looking, so I'm going to put this here.

For those who are unfamiliar, the Tamiya XV-01 chassis is a full-front-motor 4WD platform, which Tamiya bills as a "crossover" platform, and they back-up that claim by selling it in rally, touring, and truck configurations. The XV-01T is the truck configuration. The main difference is that the truck configuration comes with long-travel dampers (though the taller shock towers are an optional upgrade) and 3.5"-tall tires. Except mine doesn't look like the stock photo shown above; mine looks like this:

It is unusual for Tamiya to phone-in a body shell like they did with the XV-01T, but there's no disputing that the stock body shell is just bad; the tires stick out, requiring the body to be lifted so the tires won't rub on the fenders, and there's a huge gap in the front where you can see straight through to the motor. As I understand it, this body was originally designed for the TA-02T, and Tamiya just sort of slapped it on the XV-01T.

It's a shame they did that, because as soon as I got my hands on some alternate bodies to experiment with, I figured out that a 200mm-width touring-car truck body fits perfectly over the chassis, which has a 195mm track-width (197mm with the slightly wider hexes I'm using). What you see above is the end result of that experimentation; it's actually an HPI body intended for the RS4, I guess to make it look like a NASCAR racing truck, but when I gave it a respectable paint-job and left the rear spoiler off, it turned into a very nice normal-looking pickup truck. I did use the stock blue-flame logo sticker for the hood though, to add a little flair to the otherwise plain silver paint job.

Fitting this body also allowed me to use a proper touring-car foam bumper on the chassis, instead of the ill-fitting tube-style bumper that came with the kit. I actually considered using the tube-style bumper, but I discovered that it fit behind the front edge of this body, so I went with the touring-car bumper since it will provide better support for the front edge of the body if (when) it hits something. I considered beveling the exposed lower edge of the bumper, but I figure running it on rough ground will do that for me, and it will save a few scrapes on the bottom lip of the body in the process.

Since this was originally a touring-car body, there was no provision for anything resembling a recessed truck bed. However, to make it look a teensy bit more realistic, I masked the truck bed area and painted it black before putting the main silver coat on the rest of the body. Then, after I was finished painting the inside, I carefully trimmed the overspray film off the truck bed area, and sprayed it with matte over-coating to make it look a little more like spray-on bedliner. (I do actually have a can of spray-on bedliner, but it didn't seem suitable for this particular body.)

The independent rear suspension isn't exactly scale for a pickup truck, but I don't consider that to be a very big deal. This is based on a flat-bottom touring-car chassis anyway, so it's not really like this is the most glaring non-scale feature. Besides, it handles better with four-wheel independent suspension, and that makes it less-unnerving to drive at higher speeds.

Okay, that's enough analysis of the outward appearance. This photo shows where the magic happens, in a front-mounted gearbox with a full-front motor mount. There's a shrouded belt-drive that runs to a secondary gearbox to drive the rear axle, as is the case with all versions of the XV-01. This truck is running a disposable brushed motor so I can thrash on it without feeling bad if the motor fails, and really it makes plenty of power for a vehicle like this when combined with a 2S LiPo pack. The full-front motor mount might seem like a strange choice, but it gives this pickup truck a very realistic weight balance, and the truck can be easily oversteered, just like a real pickup truck. It also gives the truck a good weight balance for trail driving, since trail trucks tend to benefit from a forward weight bias. The suspension arms are an interesting departure from the other XV-01 configurations -- they're made of a grey rubbery plastic that flexes much more than the normal black plastic, to say nothing of the carbon-reinforced plastic in the upgraded suspension arms on my XV-01 rally car. Since the A-arms are so flexible, I decided to skip upgrading the hubs, caster blocks, and steering knuckles, so they can flex to help absorb some of the shock of hard impacts as well.

Unlike my rally and touring-car builds, I took a "no-bling" approach to building the XV-01T. I upgraded several of the stock plastic parts to carbon-reinforced plastic, but I didn't get any shiny blue aluminum bits for this chassis -- in fact, when I replaced the terrible stock turnbuckles, I bought some Hot Bodies turnbuckles to use instead of the Tamiya upgrades specifically because the Hot Bodies turnbuckles are black instead of shiny blue. The long-damper shock towers are made of carbon-fiber, but that's because that's just what the long-damper upgrade offers. The front shock tower (shown in the previous picture) came with shiny blue aluminum spacers, which I promptly bolted onto my Dremel, lathed off the blue anodizing, and then dunked in Aluminum Black by Birchwood Casey. I coated them with clear nail polish to seal the blackened finish, and I bet if I hadn't told you about that you'd never have noticed. ;)

In keeping with the no-bling aesthetic, the electronics are also low-cost. The motor, as previously mentioned, is a disposable Dynamite 15-turn brushed motor, the ESC is a Dynamite DYNS2210 45-amp ESC, and the servo is a $12 Tactic TSX45. The TSX45 is a great deal for a metal-gear servo, because it comes stock on Axial RTR vehicles and (almost) everyone upgrades them right out of the box, so there's tons of them available brand-new for cheap on eBay. It's my go-to servo for loaner vehicles and for budget builds like this. The servo-saver is one of the last remaining parts from my cannibalized Tamiya FF-04 Evo, the optional high-torque servo-saver upgrade that came stock with that kit.

The Tamiya XV-01T doesn't get much respect because it resides in sort of a void between on-road and off-road vehicles, slightly more off-road-ish than 1/10-scale rally cars but without the ground clearance of a "proper" trail truck. And yet, despite being hard to categorize, it actually works quite well. It won't clear rock gardens, but it can drive on grass, which my XV-01 rally car struggles to do, and it can jump speedbumps without bottoming-out, which my XV-01 rally car definitely can't do. I expect my XV-01T will be the guilt-free basher of my XV-01 collection.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 03-29-2018 at 11:59 PM.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Build Complete: Tamiya XV-01T "Asterion"

I like the original body/tyre combo. Brings back memories of the F150 TA02T I owned. Has the real tough truck stance to it. Looks are always a debatable preference, but I'm sure you'll have fun with it either way!
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

The big complaint from many people about the original body is the gaping hole under the front grille.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:15 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, it's a shame. As you said - the downfalls of making a truck out a car.
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I got sick of the stock tires; they skidded like crazy, especially in corners. I shouldn't be able to mash the throttle on a 4WD vehicle running a disposable brushed motor and spin all four tires for several feet. After some research, I decided to try some RC4WD tractor-trailer tires. Despite being about as stiff as the stock tires even with the foams removed, they have MUCH better grip. Here's how they look:

Last edited by fyrstormer; 03-29-2018 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:43 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I had a TA02T. It handled like piss. I turned it into a rally car with a short wheelbase SX4 body. Sold the truck. Kept the body. It was my understanding that the xv didn't have a SWB version, but seeing that s-10 body on the Asterion has me thinking.
Derek Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:36 AM   #7
RCC Addict

So, the RC4WD tractor-trailer tires I got work great, but the RC4WD wagon-wheels don't work great. Almost every run I had to reset the bead on at least one tire, and I was starting to wear-out the screw holes in the hex adapters (which also serve as the clamps to hold the wheels together). I ended up stretching the tires over a set of Tamiya 1.9" truck wheels and gluing them in place, with Crawler Innovations Lil'Nova foams cut in half and stuffed into the tires to give them a bit more lateral stability, since stretched tires tend to want to tilt to one side and stay there. I haven't driven it much since then, so I can't say if this is a more durable solution, but the wagon wheels just weren't going to work. I even resorted to gluing the tires to the wagon wheels and they still broke loose.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Question Re: Build Complete: Tamiya XV-01T "Asterion"

Is there a difference in width between the rally xv01 and the xv01t?
rally racer #75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:03 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Chassis width, no. The chassis is identical, except for longer shocks and flexible A-arms. The wheels have a wider offset, however; that's why I was able to put a 200mm body on it.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:59 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Fixed all image links in this thread.

Build Complete: Tamiya XV-01T "Asterion" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Panikku's Honcho build "Tamiya TT01" Panikku Axial SCX-10 14 10-03-2015 04:50 AM
project "baloo", a tamiya bronco build sods 1.9 Scale Rigs 26 08-02-2015 04:35 PM
* MSD Tamiya FJ-45 " UTE " hilux Build * Unimoger 1.9 Scale Rigs 19 12-14-2008 08:24 AM