Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Vintage Losi rally weapon build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Vintage Losi rally weapon build

I bought this thing about 15 years ago. Played with it until I fried the esc and then it sat in a box for a very long time. I recently decided to get back into the hobby and decided to see if would be something that the 9 yr old and myself could enjoy together. We're building a Wraith right now and are just waiting for a few more parts to show up.

I was (and still might) trying to sell this thing. After a lot of searching, I realized that these are now pretty rare. There's still parts out there but I can't find a recent sale to gauge it's worth. I wasn't expecting that.

When I pulled it out of its box, everything seemed ok. A couple days later, the belts fell apart. The ones from Korea arived this afternoon, Kevlar reinforced. All of the bearings and diffs still look good.

The hobby sure has progressed in the last decade. Lipos and brushless motors I think I'm on top of it but it took some reading. I only ran a 27T motor through this thing in its last life. And that was plenty of fun.

I have a castle 3800kv and sidewinder to put in this thing. Does anyone have any idea what pinion I should go with? I guess you guys might need more info about the gear ratios to properly answer that, huh? I'll dig through my xx-s paperwork and see if I can find it. Beyond that, I'm pretty confident that the drivetrain can handle the brushless I just don't want to kill the electronics. I suppose if it's a bad match, we can just throw it in the wraith and break something lol.

I do have the xx-4 Shock towers and appropriate sized 4wd buggy shocks to go with. Not sure I want to loose the red shocks though.

I'm going to to be using a vintage FM Magnum Jr for the rx and a older hightec high speed servo. The tires at the moment are some Hpi Pirelli rally tires. The wheels are really the only 10mm ones I could find that looked somewhat scale. I also picked up a 2001 wrx body that I have no idea how I want to paint. I can't decide to go race or street with it. Hopefully, it handles and jumps as well as today's purpose built rally cars.

Here's it so far:

Comments welcome.

- Josh
oldpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2016, 02:37 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Vintage Losi rally weapon build

Looks great and should do fine, many replacement older Losi parts are still available on RC Hobby Shop | Competition RC Race Cars & Parts, ebay, etc. I almost bought one of these back in the day...used to race Losi off-road buggy starting back with original JRX with the five arm rear link setup, cf chassis, orange wheels, etc.

Just found this intersting site too:
Main
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I cut the body out today. Man am I out of practice. I have much sanding to do.

Thanks, Natedog. Ya... I already found those places on my own. Vintage losi dedicated stuff is in short order it would seem. Perhaps there's a reason, hahaha.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:33 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I mocked up the motor and esc today. That esc barely fits. I wasn't expecting that. I'm also in the middle of trying to find some 2s lipo saddle packs that fit. I'm reconsidering my body choice. Leaning towards a non-race focus rs body instead. It just kind feels wrong putting a "sedan" body on the rally weapon that came with focus body (that sucked - the body it came with). I'm a prior focus owner and have always wanted a RS. It a damn shame it never made it to the US. We got stuck with the ST. Stupid Ford...

Oh - does anyone remember if the front end had a one-way bearing system? Read no reverse. I never had an esc that reversed in this car before. Wait, I guess I'm probably going to have look at the manuals again. (... and probably have to buy that damn castle link too, bleh.)

Last edited by oldpunk; 02-13-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Slow progress.

I forgot that you pretty much have to dissassemble the WHOLE CAR to access the belts. Guess which hex driver I couldn't find... 20 screws later (with an Allen wrench). The front belt was completely gone. The middle and rear were covered in cracks. I also forgot how simple the drive train is on thing. It should handle brushless no issues. No gears. Just the belts. The bearings and diffs still look really good.

Last edited by oldpunk; 02-22-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:58 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Rear belt - fits perfect. Front belts - a little bit loose. Well, I guess that's what I get for buying Korean. Lol I think it's still going to work, at least for a while. The ones I got are of better materials than the originals. I guess better start looking for replacements.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

New belts installed:

Put it all back together and did some test fitting:

I forgot how frickin smooth the drivetrain was on this thing. I also finally remembered how the one way bearing thing works in the front end. It's just there to adjust the front to rear brake bias. You can set it up to where the front won't brake at all. They were super serious about touring cars back then. Hahha
Old 04-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yet another old school car to add to my ebay searches...
Derek Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

In fact I just bid on one that suspiciously looks just like this one. Mind listing that Korean source for drive belts?
Derek Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Vintage Losi rally weapon build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi xx4 Rally Weapon oldpunk Non Crawler RC's 1 04-01-2016 02:14 AM
Some vintage Rally action at Kraftwork Orange tozrovr Rally 1 06-23-2013 07:10 PM