Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Rally

Notices

Thread: Rally!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2016, 10:21 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Rally!!

Where do I start with a rc rally car? What's a good starting platform? I read everything in Turtles XV-01 post that I have really considered that for my start but I see there are a lot more platforms out there then meets the eye just need to know where to ask the right questions (I'm hoping here). So what do you guys think? Chassis?Tires?Bodys? I'm a big subaru fan I went to my first rally America event this year in Atlanta,Michigan it was a blast, now in the 1:1 world I have always been a huge fan of rally!! But I am new to the world of really getting into racing rc rally cars, I do have a hpi wr8 Flux but I just don't feel scale driving it.. I really like the looks of the 1/10th scale stuff they look a lot better racing around and I'm shooting for scale speed maybe something in the 17.5 brushless set up but where should I go for my chassis? Who makes strong Bodys I mean you can't go wrong with the looks of tamiya!!
Lost_Frequency is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Rally!!

Tamiya bodies are strong! That is for sure. There is a drift chassis company called MST (max speed technology) that just came out with a Rally version of one of their drift cars. It's 4wd, shaft driven, with a protected transmission. It's called the XXX-D Rally. Comes RTR, minus a battery I think, not 100%, a tamiya Subaru body ('08 or '07 your choice), or an old Lancia delta(I believe). And honestly the price is nice too. At only $300 it's not bad from what I have seen of it. The wr8 is nice but as you said not really all that scale. Too fast, and just too big. Now scale body wise it's amazing, but actual scale driving and all not really. From what I have read the XV-01 is also great. The front motor lay out helps with the realistic cornering of the rear end kicking out, but the video I've seen of the MST kicks out very well, and it's not a front motor. I'd look into the mst just to have that option too. My self knowing the MST brand from using their drift cars, would go with that one, but that's just my personal opinion. Look it up on you tube they only have like two videos of it but from the looks it will handle just about anything you throw at it. Hope that helps.

TraneDrift
Newcrawler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:18 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the heads up I'll take a look on YouTube
Old 04-01-2016, 12:06 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

No problem. I'm actually looking at getting one myself.

TraneDrift
Old 04-01-2016, 12:56 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

So you think shafts driven is the way to go in rally racing?

Ps dose anyone know the name ofor the indoor rallycross track in the 1:1 world I seen a picture of it posted before but can't find video clips of it
Old 04-01-2016, 07:01 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I personally do. I have a belt driven drift car and have gone through a few belts from just drifting outside. Now the XV 01 is sealed, and belt has almost over to question twist but that shouldn't be an issue for rally. Again my personal opinion. I'd go shaft over belt (even sealed belt) for rally any day.

The other nice thing is that since the mst chassis has been out for a while there is great part support for it, not saying there isn't for the xv01.

TraneDrift

Last edited by Newcrawler24; 04-01-2016 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Picked up two for the kids. I have to say MST well built.
Maddog Madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:48 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Nice! Yeah I love my drift chassis' that I have.

TraneDrift
Old 04-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Wow that thing looks great! Now how strong dose it feel? Do they have a rally feel to them?
Old 04-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Frequency View Post
Wow that thing looks great! Now how strong dose it feel? Do they have a rally feel to them?

Rally feel, can't give expert opinion. They run just like in videos, they have some balls. Only complaint was body shakes a bit. Not like a stable body on a drifter. The price for a rtr car, thumbs up.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Woah...didnt know MST made a rally car. I had one of their drift cars...might have to pick one up.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:58 PM   #12
RCC Addict

MST has huge selection of upgrades, I think A scaler is next for me.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Wow you can build one hell of a car through mst!! But all of that bling dose it really matter? Car for car dose the mst out preform the xv-01? Or dose it come down to your choice belt vs shaft?
Old 04-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Shaft was first choice for outside. Anyone can throw money at a Rc but what made my decision was rtr for 300 plus 45 for a good Lipo battery and go play. So for 345.00 you can get a decent Rc that can handle some abuse to a point. Not gonna go find out being I take care of my stuff. I couldn't tell you if better because I never owned a xv1. All I noticed was how well built and how strong the plastic is so far. Normally a get a rtr, something breaks in the first hr on day. Both of these took a beating by both kids and from being a little dirty. All is still great. No binding, grinding, broken pieces yet.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:26 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

That's great to hear!! I wonder if I could get my hands on something 2nd hand if I offer up my tf2, I'm trying to talk my friend down the street to pick up something in the 1/10th rally world for him so we can do some racing in the parking lot across the street from my house it's a mix of small gravel, black top and small puddles so it would make a perfect spot for a GRC style track
Old 04-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Blackstar hobbies has one left in stock , otherwise they're hitting the eBay listings now. Can't part with these yet, too much fun now.
Old 04-01-2016, 08:31 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Lol I just hunting the bay
Old 04-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I was thinking of getting a MST XXX-D VIP...always wanted one. Wish they had a rally VIP.
Old 04-01-2016, 09:01 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
I was thinking of getting a MST XXX-D VIP...always wanted one. Wish they had a rally VIP.
Couldn't you get the vip and add the rally parts?
Old 04-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Frequency View Post
Couldn't you get the vip and add the rally parts?
its carbon fiber chassis though. I wouldn't think that would hold up to off road well. Rather have an aluminum chassis for rally.

Rally!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Rally Pro 4 + Traxxas rally wheels jeepgeek2002 Rally 1 01-05-2015 06:10 AM
Rallypro Amsterdam Rallysprint Rally 2010 rally video EeePee Chit Chat 63 05-16-2014 08:23 AM
Looking for a scale rally basher? Kyosho DRX VE vs HPI WR8 Flux vs Slash/Rally subspd Rally 21 11-14-2012 01:05 PM
New Traxxas Rally: 1/16th Rally Car Szczerba Chit Chat 20 10-05-2010 10:26 PM
Greek Acropolis Rally (WRC Rally) FJONES007 Outside the US 1 07-16-2009 06:24 AM